cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I may NEED to live in my RV fulltime.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We are renting an apartment in Boise, ID. The rent is nearly 40% of my retirement income we are able to do that OK because I currently work a part time job. But the time is coming when I may not be able to work or just don't want to.
The big blow came yesterday when we heard that the rent at our complex will go up 17% at the end of our term. This will put the monthly payment out of our range even with my work income. Boise is an expensive city to live in and because of national attention is now unaffordable for us.
I don't need any lectures about how I should have planned for retirement better, sometimes unforseen things happen to even the best planning.
It is what it is.
We are assessing our options and one may be to live full time in our rig and work camp and find seasonal jobs on the road.
I have a lot of talents and I am in great physical condition. I have had a few seasonal gigs and enjoy that, so it will just be another adventure for us.
Jesseannie
46 REPLIES 46

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try YouTube for videos about full time RVing. There are dozens of vids concerning folks that have decided to live in the rig and work at different venues.
There is a Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, that is a movement of folks sort of in the same situation as you might be looking at. I think the a fellow named Bob has been the instigator and he is quite knowledgeable.
Honestly, the idea of spending a few months in different places sounds pretty good to me. Camp hosting or small jobs to bring in enough to "pay the rent" would extend your finances somewhat and you would have a chance to see and do new endeavors.
Good hunting. See ya out there

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Senior high school. Oh.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised there's a Lowes there. Back when I was there, it took quite a lot before they even allowed a McD's to be built. I really need to go back for a visit. That's one of my goals for our RV, but it may have to wait a while...

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trekkar wrote:
One of the suggestions made here was to move into a mobile home in a mobile home park. Be very careful with this set up. Many mobile home park rates have become exorbitant, causing an uptick in homelessness statistics.

Around here many of them are getting closed down and replaced with stick-built homes. The land is worth too much.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
oyarsa wrote:
Not adding much to the discussion, but I can relate to this post on two accounts:

First, I went to junior and high school in Eagle, Idaho and I definitely miss it. That was about 20 years ago. I can't imagine what it must all look like these days!

And second...a few minutes ago I was looking at my retirement account statement and wondering how the back I'll ever afford to retire! I do have a good bit of time to remedy that situation, but I probably better start something soon...

The Eagle area is just booming I work part time at Lowes on Eagle road and now that road is The busiest road in the State of Idaho. It is changing daily it is the fastest growing area in the Boise area.

Jesseannie

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
One of the suggestions made here was to move into a mobile home in a mobile home park. Be very careful with this set up. Many mobile home park rates have become exorbitant, causing an uptick in homelessness statistics.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
Not adding much to the discussion, but I can relate to this post on two accounts:

First, I went to junior and high school in Eagle, Idaho and I definitely miss it. That was about 20 years ago. I can't imagine what it must all look like these days!

And second...a few minutes ago I was looking at my retirement account statement and wondering how the back I'll ever afford to retire! I do have a good bit of time to remedy that situation, but I probably better start something soon...

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
your not destitute as the first post almost made it seem ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

it is your option now

live in rv, travel a lot or stay put and workcamp or ??

or move into smaller apt in new area, maybe buy small home in new location etc

it is 100% up to you at this point on how ya want to roll.
How do you want to live?

any new place interest you?
go in rv until you might find a new 'home base' to get cheaper apt and find you love it?

just a ton of options available to you ๐Ÿ™‚

Sounds like you are off on a new path to find a new way of life...cool...best of luck

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice without too many, "You should have saved more" comments. Full timing in a RV can be a lot of fun and reasonably priced. Take your time traveling, thus keeping monthly fuel costs down. You will be surprised at how much country you can see if you don't try to see it all in the first month. Even a 2,000 mile trip is not that expensive as long as one takes three months to make it.

Plenty of full-timing information available on here, online groups, and Escapees. Make it a game to see how much fun you can get per dollar. Lots, is the answer. I choose not to work and spend less than ten percent of my income on parking fees. Welcome to a new adventure.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have an exit strategy but otherwise, it sounds like a great option to cut costs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes Boise is blowing up, and that's a good thing, unless you're not making any of the money generated there.
There are multitudes of places where the cost of housing is cheaper, even much cheaper.....if you want to live there.
If you don't have ties there, let er buck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does depend on how much you travel as to the expense of living in an RV. If you take advantage of monthly rates and don't try to travel thousands of miles in one month, it can be much cheaper than renting or owning a home. We are currently in Yuma and this park has a first time special of $199 per month and you can keep that rate as long as you stay. Or, they have an annual rate that makes it about $150 per month. You pay your own electricity. The cost to stay here per month, plus electric, our own mobile internet, phone isn't even close to what 1 month of house payment with no utilites was. If you are going to leave your current location, then purchase the best quality used rv for your budget. If you are staying there, then an RV isn't a good choice. They are inefficient in the cold and expensive to heat.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
jesseannie wrote:
I guess my first post may have given some the impression that I am close to homeless and may be arrested for vagrancy lol.
I am retired have great medical coverage a couple life insurance policies a lovely wife and a Springer Spaniel named Maggie.
There are places we can rent in Boise but I think we will just find ourselves priced out again.
If we choose to live in our travel trailer short or long term it would not be in the Northwest in the winter. We have the resources to travel and follow the warmth.
I guess my OP was more of a mild rant against the terrible rental prices near any Metro area. It is going to get harder even with a moderate income like we have.
Thanks to all who have participated and the advice I got.
Jesseannie

How about moving to some smaller town,,and maybe buying cheap house..
Thats what I did btw,,

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
My wife's grandparents full timed for many, many years while being volunteers for two different "religious" organizations that did renovation projects at various church/church-school locations. Their full hookup space was paid. They were provided one full meal per day. In return, they had to work a few hours a day, 5 days per week. Her grandfather was a Master Electrician, her grandmother a drapery maker.

They got projects in the South in the colder months, and in the North in the warmer months. They had made lots of friends and it was a perfect arrangement for them.

Good luck in your decision.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4