Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torklift GlowStep Revolution for Travel Trailer

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

We are looking at an entry step upgrade.See here on our current steps. These have 8" wide by 24" long treads at 9 1/4" rise. They are not as bad as some of the newer fold in steps, but we are looking for something that we can step up and down a little easier with a better foot feel and somewhat more sturdy.

The Torklift Glow Step Revolution I found from searching here on RV.net is very popular on truck campers they were developed for but not too much yet on TT's/5er's. It may be they are new on the TT's option. These https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution

Looking for info/opinions from folks who have them on a few topics.

1. There is a lever on the side of the unit that adjusts the top step into 3 positions. When do you use the other positions? This was not real clear in the Glow step videos on their site.

2. They say they extend into tighter places. OK, how do they really do that? It seems it has to be extended long enough to reach the ground, can you change the angle of the descent/rise so the bottom ground step is closer or further from the camper?

3. Do the scissors links deflect much under weight going up and down?

4. Have you ever been in a campsite where they will not work? Or you had to create a work around?

5. The Glow step is reported to be a 7 1/2" rise which is less then our current 9 1/4" and I see that as a good thing. Do you think so? Does the 7 1/2" change more or less when the steps are out or in further?

6. Is there something you do not like about them and why?

7. Are you glad you did the change to the Glow Step?

In our case, we have 3 steps now and there are times we have to add a 4th bottom separate step due to the downhill slope of the campsite. And other times we have the opposite, a high up ended site and the bottom step can almost not be folded out as the ground is so high. These extremes of up and down are characteristic of more remote campgrounds with no hard surface pads that we go to them a lot. I am hoping the Glow step will accommodate both extremes.

My thoughts were on the Glow Step, we could go from a 3 step unit to a 4 step unit and eliminate the separate bottom step which can be a hazard when I have to shim it to not rock. Shim wiggles out and you can go flying out of balance on the rocking step.

Our current step threads are 8" wide, just like the Glow Step but the glow step looks flat all across the top other then some grooves for anti slip. Ours has 2 raised pads so to speak. One smooth the other gritted for anti slip. In our case your foot really never rests on a full 8" wide, only the tops of the pads. I would like more foot contact surface and think the 8" glow step being flat on top will allow all 8" under your foot to give you the feel of more tread width.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.
30 REPLIES 30

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
John,
I got the wider mount steps and had to grind a small bit on the trailer mount to clear one bolt on each side. Didn't take long to do.

A hint: Remove the steps from the mounting bracket before you mount it. Sure makes it a lot easier. Very easy to reinsert the mounting bolts back into the frame and secure the actual steps.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Glow Step from Etrailer showed up today. They do ship fast if they have the parts in stock.

The box

The steps in the stored position

The steps mocked up on a set of jack stands

I must say I am impressed with the quality of build. As I have heard others that have Tork Lift products state they have good quality and this shows it.

Now I have a new camper mod project. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again for all that helped me get to this point.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will be glad you got the 4th step. My application was also in between 3&4 steps. Your first step out of the trailer will have less drop than the rest with 4

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
I called Torklift today and had a good conversation with them.

They offer 2 different width frames, a 27.5" and a 25.5". The part I did not realize is, the step tread does not change between the 2 sizes, only the mounting frame. The tread width is 22" for both sizes.

I can fit the 25.5" frame inside my Hickory Springs 27.25" (ID) welded on frame. Yeh!!! I may have to trim a few bolts that have excess thread extension, Or drill a clearance hole for them in the side of the old step frame, but that beats grinding out 14" of weld... And I can also convert back to the old steps if we ever decide to sell this camper.

I also figured out the range of vertical adjustment of the system between the phone call and the manual. The service rep gave me the login info to be able to download the install/user manual and that helped a lot too.

The pivot lever on the top step has 3 positions. Hi, medium and low. Reading the instructions, medium is the normal location. Going to the hi setting allows 2" of height lift to the stairs. Going to the low position lowers 2" of drop stairs. This translates into 4" of overall step height change from the top mounting system.

The bottom landing pads have the ability of +/- 1.5" of adjustment where the foot and extend/retract creating 3" of total adjustment on the landing pads.

This is how they get what they call 7" of height adjustment.

I ordered a set of the A8104 25 1/2" wide 4 step Glow Step Revolution units today from Etrailer. I'm on the edge of a 3 step or 4 step unit. After looking at the pricing, I can delete a step a lot cheaper then adding one later. When I get it installed I can sort out the 3 or 4 steps as at the camps we go to, I am more often using our extra separate riser step. You can convert it as needed and if this camper does not need the 4 step, the next one most likely will.

They offer a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser which is good and they are made in the USA. We will move them to the next camper if and when the time comes.

I want to thank everyone again for all your help. I will do up a post on the install when the time comes.

Thanks

John

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:
JBarca wrote:
....I checked today that is 7" of weld on both left and right side.....

Mine have two short carriage bolts on either side holding them in. I am proud to say that my Fleetwood Terry was built to the highest standards of "just good enough". No surprise they went out of business....

The ironic part is Sun Line went under as well
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
JBarca wrote:
....I checked today that is 7" of weld on both left and right side.....

Mine have two short carriage bolts on either side holding them in. I am proud to say that my Fleetwood Terry was built to the highest standards of "just good enough". No surprise they went out of business....

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Barney,

Thanks for the comments on the steps. Had not realized you did the upgrade, twice even...

By the comments I have found and the reports here, the Glow Step looks to be the right choice.

Now I have to work through how to mount them. If they will fit inside the framing of my old Hickory Springs steps with the old steps removed, this will not be too bad of an install. If I have to grind off all the welds on old ones from the old steps to the mounting bracket, I checked today that is 7" of weld on both left and right side... that will be a project! And the lower gold siding is in the way too. Sunline for sure wanted to make sure they were not going to fail under load...

Good to see the group again. Thanks for that pic.

John

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi John,
We have had the GlowSteps on our trailer for a few years now. We love them and would have nothing else now. They are very stable and have no "give" in them when going up or down. That makes for a quite safe journey! ๐Ÿ™‚

We have found them a bit hard to deploy and retract now and then. I readjusted the nuts which helped. It only takes a fraction of a turn on the bolts in each joint to make a huge difference.

There have been a couple of times where we have had a problem deploying the legs at the bottom. They fit very tight and are a bit hard to slide in or out and push the button at the same time,

The adjustment for height is on either side of the steps. As you rotate the lever, the steps move up or down and also in or out a bit. As already mentioned, the adjustment sometimes makes the step a bit un-level but it is not really a problem. The rigidity is worth it.

As you can see in the picture, we have two sets. The main one is a 4 step unit and the rear door is a three step. Torquelift makes an add-on kit so you can always convert a three to a four or more. In reality, the adjustment will usually cover any out of level situation except for the extreme cases.

MY opinion of these steps is that they are worth the price. Just like my Hensley, if necessary to do it again, I would be willing to spend the money for the safety and pleasure of using them.
Barney

You can see both of the steps in use in this picture. I think I need to readjust the the rear door set. We are up at my son Dales' family campground near Traverse City. I think you will recognize all those people in the picture. :B
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:
John, I was also looking at these steps but am not sure they would be best in the soft sand when we camp at the beach.

They would work in the sand but you would need some sort of pad under the leg where it contacts the ground(sand)
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
John, I was also looking at these steps but am not sure they would be best in the soft sand when we camp at the beach.

We have camped at the beach 4-5 times and never had a problem with the landing gear burying in the sand.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have used these in sand -- no problem. The feet have pads that support the weight and do not sink in. You may not need a board at all.

Deep mud is a different story. Don't park in a big puddle.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:

Hi Don,

H'mm sand. Maybe create a larger pad foot out of treated wood. 3/4 plywood or 1 1/8 deck board etc., cut to the size you think you need. Then create a 1 1/2" high border attached to the top of the board cut out a 2 x whatever you have to make a pocket that surrounds the first step pad foot. This gives you more surface area for sand and the wood border makes sure the larger pad does not shift away.

It's all about enough surface area. Kind of like towing the camper in the sand with the Burb and airing down the tires.

Hope this helps

John

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours has just one position at the top. This was an early model. It looks like they have evolved the design!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."