cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lippert Correct Track System

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve got a 2017 Keystone Outback 325BH that has the factory installed Correct Track system. Going into the dealer next month for the PA annual inspection and some minor warranty issues. Should I ask for any adjustments or alignments to the suspension? I thought it was recommended after loading the unit to have this adjusted. I don’t think the dealer adjusted anything on this before delivery.
TIA for ant suggestions.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
7 REPLIES 7

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
HI Mike, I installed the aftermarket Correct Track system on our 2008. The system only allows you to move axle mounting points front-to-rear in 1/4" increments. The alignment on a trailer is simple, the axles must be parallel to each other and also square to the trailer.

Loading does not affect anything you can adjust with the Correct Track. Loading WILL affect the camber, but the camber is built in to the upward curve of the axle when it's made. If you lose camber due to overloading, you must replace the axle, there is no adjustment for it.

If you don't have an indication that alignment is off as evidenced by uneven tire wear, then I would not pay the dealer to do any alignment.

Actually there are 2 versions of the Correct Track. The after the fact Correct Track which has 1/4" increments and is added to hangers on the camper and an OEM mounted one with 1/8" increments which includes the entire hanger that is welded to the frame in place of the standard hanger. We do not know which the OP has.

It is true the correct track system will adjust the thrust angle of the camper, thrust angle being tow ball distance to front axle equal on both sides within 1/16". But, camper design and loading affects how a leaf spring system settels.

If the camper is much heavier on one side then the other, the heavy side will compress the leafs more than the lighter side. This will change the thrust angle. How much the change depends on the camper itself and the loading. It can change it enough to be outside the Dexter declared tolerance. I have measured it and accounted for it to be intolerance.

Unknowns in all this is, where the hangers welding correctly in the first place? Correct track can adjust for some or all of that in some cases. Depending on how goofed a hanger is or how loaded one side/wheel is thus compressing the spring, a 1/4" move may help better than not having it. But you have to have a technician that can do the measuring correctly with a loaded camper to determine this.

My point was that the adjustment can be used to help depending on what is off.

MikeSR, I would ask the dealer if they have the ability to do a trailer alignment and will they give you are report stating what is out of alignment and what can be corrected? They need to provide you with thrust angle, front axle to rear axle parallelism, wheel camber and wheel toe and the specs to go with them.

There are many dealers who do not have the ability to do a trailer alignment and give you those answers. They do sell camper now with the correct track but that does not mean they can service it. But there are few that can. I would ask them if they can and how much it would cost. If they cannot quote me what they are looking for and the tolerances, I would find a trailer shop that can in place of the dealer.

It is true, if you look at the tire wear and understand it, you can tell if the trailer is out of alignment enough to need an adjustment. That is another skill for the finer wear but gross wear is fairly easier to see.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
HI Mike, I installed the aftermarket Correct Track system on our 2008. The system only allows you to move axle mounting points front-to-rear in 1/4" increments. The alignment on a trailer is simple, the axles must be parallel to each other and also square to the trailer.

Loading does not affect anything you can adjust with the Correct Track. Loading WILL affect the camber, but the camber is built in to the upward curve of the axle when it's made. If you lose camber due to overloading, you must replace the axle, there is no adjustment for it.

If you don't have an indication that alignment is off as evidenced by uneven tire wear, then I would not pay the dealer to do any alignment.

X2^^. The Lippert systems are known for weak shackles and not having wet bolts - so they wear quickly and break more often. Have the whole suspension system inspected for shackle and bolt wear. You might even consider installing heavy-duty shackles and wet bolts for a little more peace of mind.

Rob
Ummm The same can be said of others as well.

If your TT came from the factory with heavy duty shackles and wet bolts,,, it was either an option, or your manufacturer cared enough to spend some extra $$$ for it.

Nice try on slamming Lippert... Might have a future as a politician.

Not trying to "slam" Lippert, Huntingdog - just speaking from personal experience. I agree that the same can be said for any of the basic systems from Dexter and other manufacturers. No need to get snarky. I'm a retired Army officer and have absolutely no interest in politics other than voting.

Rob
Really? You only dogged Lippert in your first reply.... Even though you acknowledge that they are all pretty much the same.. I guess it depends on what the meaning of is, is.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
BurbMan wrote:

X2^^. The Lippert systems are known for weak shackles and not having wet bolts - so they wear quickly and break more often. Have the whole suspension system inspected for shackle and bolt wear. You might even consider installing heavy-duty shackles and wet bolts for a little more peace of mind.

Rob

If your TT came from the factory with heavy duty shackles and wet bolts,,, it was either an option, or your manufacturer cared enough to spend some extra $$$ for it.

Not trying to "slam" Lippert, Huntingdog - just speaking from personal experience. I agree that the same can be said for any of the basic systems from Dexter and other manufacturers. No need to get snarky. I'm a retired Army officer and have absolutely no interest in politics other than voting.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
BurbMan wrote:

Rob

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know that the factory installed a system to correct their mistakes, but maybe they did.

Unless a PA inspection station has a trailer alignment system, that is not the place to have it done. I think you will find that only heavy duty truck/trailer shops are qualified to do the work. To align the camber and toe-in requires bending the axle, the Correct Track parts only move the axle.