cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hunting Island Update/Info

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
OK....anyone else have reservations for next month (Feb, 2018) at Hunting Island SC? As soon as I heard the park was re-opening as of Feb 1st, I made a reservation for mid February. Just spoke with someone at the visitors center there and was told, the projected date for re-opening is in fact Feb 1, but was as always, "subject to change". If anyone has further info or an "inside scoop", I would love to hear it.

I so hope it opens February 1. I am in need of a Hunting Island "fix". Fingers crossed?
12 REPLIES 12

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
Campforever wrote:
Hey folks, have a question for yall. We have a 42 foot fifth wheel, can you recommend a site that we can get in. Would like to stay there but have been told they are not big rig friendly.
Thanks all and God Bless

We stayed in site 159 in a 40' fiver in 2014. It was a little tight getting in and going around the loop getting out, but, not bad. We've been in tighter places in the mountains around here. It was a pull through which was parallel to the road. I'll try to post a picture.

2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
It's starting to look like the third time is a charm. Just got the email to confirm my reservations for next week at Hunting Island. I was beginning to think it was never going to happen as my last 2 trips were cancelled due to storm damage/closures. Just checked weather forecast and it's looking like highs in the low 60s. Sorry, don't mean to boast....this has just been a long time in coming. I'll take lots of pics and for updates to all who wish to plan their trip.

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/community/beaufort-news/article195996369.html

It's looking like we may just make it this time!

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding 42ft fiver. There may be some site right around the dump station area that is in the transition from the front camping section to the back camping section. They are more open but you can go in past the dump station and back down in some of them and not have to go around the loop. That is about all I can think of that will handle 42 ft fiver.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Not surprised that the sites are gone. Also not very surprised they won't be brought back. This was done recently at significant cost only to have the next storm destroy them. Too bad, but probably smart in the long run.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 Retired wrote:
I just checked the SC website and discovered that campsite numbers for Hunting Island SP begin at "90". I'm assuming that sites 1-89 are no longer available?

They are totally gone with no plans to rebuild them. Ocean side was the only one we ever stayed until the last time which was just after they reopened and before that last hurricane. Lots of growing in to do.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! That might present a challenge. Even moving through the campground roads might be difficult as there were trees hanging over a lot of the loop roads. If we do get to go next month, we will search for some sites that might accomodate your rig. Hubby says even if the site is big enough, trees might prevent maneuvering into it. We'll try to get some video for you as well. However, depending on what the hurricanes did to the back side, there may be some new opportunites if there were lots of trees downed on that side as well.

Campforever
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, have a question for yall. We have a 42 foot fifth wheel, can you recommend a site that we can get in. Would like to stay there but have been told they are not big rig friendly.
Thanks all and God Bless
Randy, Retired and Loving it...
Chevy Dually 3500 Duramax 2015
3910 Montana (2015) Three Slides

5 slides

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is what the person at the campground store told me when I called today. Apparently, the electrical lines were literally lying on top of the ground on the front side. Mother Nature rules for sure! Just hoping I will at least get to stand on the beach and walk to the lighthouse, which I understand was not harmed (this time). This trip, if it comes to fruition will be a birthday celebration trip for me. Wish me luck!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked the SC website and discovered that campsite numbers for Hunting Island SP begin at "90". I'm assuming that sites 1-89 are no longer available?
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we were there was Feb/2016. We actually had reservations when Matthew hit Oct 2016 which of course were cancelled by the park service just prior to the arrival of Matthew, so we have not seen the island since these two hurricanes wreaked their havoc. I am sure we will be shocked at its appearance now. I understand the back side of the campground is all that is left for camping. This island is full of memories for our family as we have been camping there for over 30 years beginning when our children were babies. I am so looking forward to this trip we have scheduled next month but I fear it may not happen.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
When was the last time you were there? If itโ€™s been a while be prepared for a major โ€œwow...โ€. Hunting used to be our favorite state park but not right now. It will take some time for Mother Nature to heal the place after the wrath she aimed its way over the past two years specifically but the last two decades had not been kind.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT