cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS problem

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
Staying at Malibu Beach RV park. Needed to go to Thousands Oaks. GPS { RandMcNally} sent us through Decker Canyon. Never go there in a RV. Hilly, very winding roads We did both towing and not. When we reached PCH while towing car broke away from RV Tow bar Blue OX RHank God for Brake Buddy which stopped the car when the the cables broke.
10 REPLIES 10

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you see one of these, you've gone too far...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Another step is if you look like you're getting into a bad situation, unhook the toad and have someone drive it separately. Presumes you have another driver with you.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Another tool is the profile feature on Google EARTH Pro. Set a route between 2 points and right-click on the blue line. Brings up a menu for Profile.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
One other method is to use Google Maps for your routing. I just plugged in what you wanted to do and Google Maps presented three possible routes. You would have seen that SR23 (Decker Canyon) was not the route to take due to the windy roads. Taking the Kanan-Dume road from PCH to the 101 was your best bet.

One other Google Maps benefit is you can send the route to your phone.
(I rarely use the GPS built into my truck)
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
The GPSr should be used for amusement purposes only. Always verify the route on a a paper map before going.

I know my route and use the GPSr while in areas where changing routes is necessary using it to verify exits whether on the right or left and which lanes to be in.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
A GPS is an ADVISORY tool.

The driver always must assume responsibility for picking an appropriate route.

Also, as a tool, the operator must learn the capabilities and fail abilities of the tool.

Not trying to say it is your fault, but we are suggesting spending some time learning what a GPS can or cannot do. That includes the apps people suggest you use on your phone or tablet.

Another key suggestion - teach/ learn with your copilot/ navagueser.how the thing works. This is especially important as you move up to bigger vehicles. Driving in difficult traffic isnโ€™t the place to try to teach her/ him how to change something on the GPS.

Basically all GPS units get their source data from the same place, the state highway department through a data conversion company. The same with on-line apps. Google will send out special vehicles to photograph streets and routes, but not to correct/ check mapping accuracy.

Above all else - if it looks like a road you should not take. STOP and look at alternative mapping information sources.

From personal experience I will tell you if a route while traveling in/ pulling your RV starts to look questionable or getting worse - it is going to get a lot worse long, long before you find a better route.

Murphy is alive and well and easily found in electronic devices.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Did you not check the route prior to setting out? I got caught towing my toy hauler on a narrow, extremely windy road through the Ozarks. Now I always preview the route so as to avoid problems. I also never pick the shortest route but the fastest route.

x2 - blindly follow a GPS at your own peril.

I forget who said it but remember the quote:

"Robots will kill you!"

Consider your GPS to be a basic form of robot.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Did you not check the route prior to setting out? I got caught towing my toy hauler on a narrow, extremely windy road through the Ozarks. Now I always preview the route so as to avoid problems. I also never pick the shortest route but the fastest route.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Flattestroute.com route

Also, never pick the shortest route, pick fastest route. That got me in trouble in the Catskills.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear the emergency systems worked.

Did you call RandMcNally and give em heck?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed