cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I run this LED light off my PD 9280? Should I?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
This is the light in question.

No, I am not looking at putting this giant thing on my rig! But I am stuck for now in a gloomy, dark part of the country, and I read online about people using vehicle light bars as SAD lights, and thought I might give it a try, see if it perks me up.

It's cheap, but shipped by Amazon, so I can return it if it's cr*p.

But I don't know much about LED lights and I know some of you know a lot!

These are the specs, if you don't want to scroll down:

Material: Anti-acid 6063 Aluminum Housing - Power: 500W
- Brightness: 50000LM
- Illumination Range: over 300M (984ft)
- Working Voltage: DC 10-60V(fits 12V, 24V vehicles)
- Number of Chips: 100pcs, 5W Cree 3030 LEDs
- Protection Rating: IP68
- Color Temperature: Nature White 6000K โ€“ 6500K
- Working Temperature: -40 to + 85 degrees Celsius
- Beam Angle: Spot (30 Degrees) and Flood (60 Degrees) Combo
- Lifespan: over 50,000 hours
- Dimention: 52*3.4*5.4 inch

Is it going to start the house on fire? Can I run it off the 12v port of my PD9280?

Thanks much for your opinions ๐Ÿ™‚
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
36 REPLIES 36

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Well you know we tech geeks are dying of curiosity ๐Ÿ˜‰

I dislocated my right thumb and have a cast on it. Makes for some elaborate bathroom tricks ๐Ÿ˜ž
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like therapeutic hugs from the four granddaughters. I'll have to tough-it-out until my return. The head slicer says recuperation will mean a four month odyssey of "using a special tool in the bathroom". I refuse to elaborate here.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hugs to you, Mex! I am sorry you are away from your family :(. Do you have friends where you are? I hope a sociable old crank like you is not alone?!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am an advocate of not exposing the eyes to excessive "light" no matter what the source. Few times in my life have I ever had "eyeache" worse than a day at the beach sans dark glasses (I don't ski).

Be it diet, vitamins, supplements or anything else, the tendency seems to be "way more is way better".

Shining a light directly onto the eye IMHO is foolish. Why not try to mimic sunlight times a conservative 130% in a room and then trade intensity for time? There is no question in my case (the only case that matters to me), that being conservative but direct works to put me into a more cheerful mood. Lights, and music -- maestro. Hah! A dose of strong sunlight and a set by the Beach Boys takes me back to my family, and shirt sleeve weather. Until I get cut again for my degenerating spine, I will be away from home -- and I damned do not like it.

My aged body reacts to stimuli and lack of, a heck of a lot differently than what it did fifteen or thirty years ago. I am way more sensitive to cold. Gray, and gloomy makes me gloomy. So, the best way to change this is to change the environment. Some people choose drugs. To me that is like ignoring the rumble and jerking of running on a flat tire by turning up the radio.

Whatever it takes. I'm sure some entrepreneur has a thousand dollar solution for a fifty dollar problem. Speaking of which, I have the work area lighting to complete.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to experience gloomy, come visit the coast of BC where it rains almost nonstop for 6 months over the winter. ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ž We coastal people that were born & raised here are a hardy bunch and not bothered by SAD. ๐Ÿ™‚

To put into context, a 4 foot fluorescent lamp is rated 2850 lumens. I have seen articles in the past talk about using a 4 foot fluor. fixture with 2 or 4 lamps. 50,000 lumens is much higher than you need, that is *if* it really does produce that. The surface area of the LEDS is MUCH smaller compared to a 4' fluorescent tube so glare is likely to be a big problem. You want the light source to have as large a surface area as possible, which is why indirect light or fixture with opaque diffuser is good. Distance from the lamp(s) and type of light fixture (point source like say a puck light vs linear fixture/lamp) will affect the light level in footcandles reaching the eyes.

Most commercially available SAD light fixtures are rated 10,000 lumens and are placed about 18-24" from the face for about 15-30 mins per day. Mayo Clinic has a good article on SAD and lights here. Lower output lamps can be used but "therapeutic" sessions may take longer.

Note that "lux" is a metric measure of light level and footcandles is in sq. ft., both in terms of square area. Lux/footcandles on a surface varies as the distance from the light source. "Lumens" is the light output of the particular light source (LED chip/bulb/lamp). The Mayo Clinic article incorrectly refers to a 10,000 lux light fixture as do some other websites I came across.

Or, why not concentrate the light directly where it's needed - on the eyes. Re-timer has these light therapy glasses. Now you can go to the mall, out for dinner or to a movie and improve your well-being without having to sit under a light fixture at home. Think of all the looks and compliments you'd get... ๐Ÿ™‚ Also helps for those affected by jet lag, shift work and trouble sleeping.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys :).

I found my yellow job site light, as suggested by DrewE on page 1. Plugged it in just now. Wow. It is not like being outside in the sun, but it is kind of like being indoors in the sun. Am also using my vitamin D light. Will see what happens.

GordonThree wrote:
"I've only experienced six days of sunlight since December 15th"

I've had 3 HOURS since Thanksgiving.

"I have no doubt that the right light improves mood but I'm skeptical about it being a purely biochemical response. There's a psychological component."

I think for me its probably both. IME some people are affected a lot by light levels, some a little, and some not at all. Biological diversity, FTW. I and my parents (and seemingly Mex) are at one edge of the bell curve. I have a sister who's at the other end, though. She doesn't care if she ever sees the sun!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Danke Schoen senor

MrWizard
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Whoa. Lots of money. As in way way too much. Reflected white light works well. 4,800K is what I use to project sunlight.

Lots of issues. Those light bars MUST be cooled by an air current. Lit and unmoving your light bar will gain 50-60F over ambient air temperature. The chips do not like it.

With 100+ of the small CREE lights and a few dozen 100+ watt bars "under my belt" I have formed some opinions about the lamps themselves and what they do for a living. The house I am in is a cave. It needs artificial lighting at high noon on summer solstice.

Blue and green tint belong in a B grade horror flock. Very amber light does best in a Wal-Mart parking lot or on the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge.

Try a pair of these. One cold white the 2nd warm white. They are 12 volt which cost more than line voltage 120vac lamps. Position the lamps one atop the other to render close to daylight color spectrum. They are easier to mount than the light bar, use a fraction of the power and most importantly render a wide angle flood pattern.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-20W-30W-50Watt-12-Volt-DC-Low-Volt-Led-Floodlight-Black-Grey/1716263078...

To save money choose a 120vac model

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-20W-30W-50W-70W-100W-150W-200W-LED-Flood-Light-Garden-Landscape-Spot-La...

Remember ๐Ÿ™‚ One colt white and one warm white.

link correction
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
500 Watts of LED!!!!! WOW thats like nore than your average football field,

Can a PD 9180 Run it. YES

Should you.... Uh.. Well.... That is a awful lot of light. I would not run it in a camnpground at all.. Now in an open field for an eventm, Stage lighting. .Things like that.. perhaps. but this is an RV forum and I can not think of anywhere Id use a 9180 that Id need that kind of light.

But yes a 9180 will do it. in fact a 9160 will, at least short term (Not sure I'd want to run one on a 60 for long). a 9145 I'm not sure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
So far nobody on Amazon or eBay ive asked selling "Cree" could give me a bin code or date code for the LEDs. I'm at the point where I assume anything advertised as Cree is a fake unless I'm buying it from a listed authorized retailer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Wattage consumed is a farce but indeed CREE does manufacture 5-watt chips. I am an OEM for CREE and their chips have performed for me far better than Phillips or OSRAM.

Definition of "Better"
More lumens at the same wattage. Unfortunately -less light- for the watt means heat. CREE chips are bundled for 7.2 volt operation. A thousand watt CREE light bar has eight drivers and a supply wiring network that won't quit.

The typical Chinese over-rating of wattage input to advertised hyperbole is 140 - 150% So a thousand watt CREE lamp uses far less wattage than claimed.

New generation silicon carbide LED chips are on the horizon. As much output of today's CREEs but with 80% of the input wattage.

It does not take much excess lumens to induce eyestrain. I use a parallel of a surgery op as a comparison. No more incandescent lighting. When I went under the knife in August the entire room was LED lit including the articulated lamp over the table. San Diego CA.

The two lamps I suggested for Naio will light her room up far in excess that of a dining room or kitchen. Not subtle -- way way brighter. Even my dim eyesight could not withstand the full potential of that SHARP chip. Most consumer LED products a person encounters are play-toy jokes.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Cree website; in the 3030 leds, the highest rating is 1 watt class (350 mA at 3.2 V). I'd be pretty suspicious of "500 watt" and 50000 LM.

Doug

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
TRUST ME, IT CAN GET DICEY...

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have no doubt that the right light improves mood but I'm skeptical about it being a purely biochemical response. There's a psychological component.

Being couped up in a small dark place sounds awful winter or summer.

I've only experienced six days of sunlight since December 15th, yet I'm not feeling any I'll effects. I am however in a 1000 sqft house, not a small motorhome or trailer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed