Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement Battery

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
I have two questions,
The deep cell battery in the fiver is coming up on 6 years old.
it has been well maintained and always shut off when not being used.
Also we do very little dry camping. So is it too soon to consider replacement?
Second I am looking for opinions on which is the best make battery for the price
If it needs replacing. The current battery is the OEM, an Exide 24 MDC.
Thanks for input
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well with an Exide I'n not sure on teh age Normal battery life on MOST batteries is 7-10 years. mine lasted 9 but likely should have been replaced earlier

The one thing I am sure of though is "That's not much battery"

A group 24 is about 70-75 Amp hours and if that is a MARINE/DEEP CYCLE you can only use about 14-15 of those. Not a lot of battery.

NOW if you have the room a pair of GC-2 (Golf car Flooded wet (usually) Batteires_) Each one has about the same foot print as your Group 24. but they are a bit taller... The two, in series (they are six volt so you need two in series) 220 amnp hours give or take a but and you can use half that's like 8 times the power for about 2x the cost. BIG improvement (They cost about the same as a Group 24)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
The battery performs many functions BUT the most important to me is to ensure that it has the necessary power to energize the braking function of the trailer is the disconnect is pulled if the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my opinion, meaning what I would do under similar circumstances.

• The battery will be lightly stressed -- no need for exotic construction or performance
  • Your original battery proved the above to be fact not fiction
  • Excellent value in a moderate quality battery would be my objective
  • The Exide by no means is a top tier cyclable battery
  • I dislike Wal-Mart when it comes to warranties. Too many problems from employees who try and play the part of an expert
  • Costco does not argue, and to me that is a big plus
  • Will a thirteen inch long battery fit? That would be a group 31
  • A 12" battery is a group 27
  • A 10-3/4" long battery is a group 24

When to change a battery is up to you. I must be unlucky. I never have a battery failure when I'm driving past my favorite battery store. How much a failure will disturb you when it happens should be weighed as to when to replace a battery. Five years is not a young battery.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a big fan of Trojans but in your situation Don is right on.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
If you dont dry camp, keep what you got u til your positive its dead. Then go to WalMart and buy a mid priced dual purpose battery and go. No need to spend bucks on a fancy battery.