cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
My wife loves lot water when she wakes up so I leave it on propane all night.
For the past 4 mornings there is no hot water when she runs the faucet, however as soon as she starts running it the heater kicks on so it works. The problem is there is no hot water when she wakes up. Anyone know whats going on? It is a Suburban water heater.
Thanks
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.
15 REPLIES 15

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
chris3403 wrote:
Current temperature is 57 going down to 50 tonight. Wife should have hot water in the morning but she wont.
weather

Did she?

Looks like Chris is done with us
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

F350_RR
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Chris,

And yes, a HW circulating pump can save you a lot of water.

Matt

I thought that a pump might work well in conjunction with an insulated tank to add more hot water for my wifeโ€™s tub in the NL-RR
Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
chris3403 wrote:
Current temperature is 57 going down to 50 tonight. Wife should have hot water in the morning but she wont.
weather

Did she?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Our bathroom is the farthest from the WH and when we turn on the hot water faucet it takes somewhere around 10 seconds for the hot water to reach it. My wife frequently uses the kitchen faucet in the morning because it is right next to the WH and the water is hot almost instantly.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
weather

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
I'd wager there's nothing wrong aside from cold water in the lines due to very cold weather even in the deep South and Southwest.

Ditto: Where I am now (Oconee County, South Carolina, below 1,000 feet elevation (This county is kind of .. Mountain like) we have had more below freezing nights THIS MONTH than I normally see in an entire winter. and it's only the 14th. and I think we have dropped into the 20's at least every night save perhaps one or two .`1q
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wager there's nothing wrong aside from cold water in the lines due to very cold weather even in the deep South and Southwest.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much Old-Biscuit

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
chris3403 wrote:
We are winter Texans and have stayed in this same rv for the past 7 years so the problem has only recently developed. I will see about getting the thermostat replaced.
Thanks for the replies.

Easy DIY project

Turn 120AC power OFF
Remove 'Push To Reset Cover'
Disconnect Black 120V AC wires....left set of t-stats
Remove hold down nut....center of t-stat mounting plate

Install new set /

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
We are winter Texans and have stayed in this same rv for the past 7 years so the problem has only recently developed. I will see about getting the thermostat replaced.
Thanks for the replies.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Standard Suburban Water Heater T-stat is set to OPEN (stop heating process) at 130*F.
It will NOT CLOSE (call for reheat cycle) until water temp drops below 100*F

No demand.......tank can take a while to loose enough heat and IF that Faucet DW is first using in AM is far from water heater it will take a quite a bit of cool water before the WARM water from heater reaches faucet. And then t-stat calls for heating.

Before any water is used...measure water temp from T&P Relief Valve after heater has sat overnight.
CAUTION: Water could be HOT

IF water is 'cool' (less than 100*F) then time for new t-stat
If water is above 100*F..changing t-stat is NOT going to change anything

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Not normal for a tank type WH to do that. Your thermostat has developed a lot of hysteresis as Mat above described.
Time to replace the stat.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Chris,

You say the WH is Suburban, but with no model...
If it is a demand heater, this is common. If it is not, then the heaters thermostat has developed a lot of hysteresis. This is not uncommon, but it usually takes a while. That control is not hard to replace.

And yes, a HW circulating pump can save you a lot of water.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know.. sounds like a thermostat problem. Just so you know, a gas wh is VERY loud at 3am, so be kind to your neighbors.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman