cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging battery with Sunforce Solar Controller

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Thor Chateau with a Sunforce 30amp solar controller. Can I use a battery Tender Jr charger to charge my house battery while the controller is connected to the battery?
Thx
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e
11 REPLIES 11

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trik-L-Start This combiner works to maintain the chassis battery anytime there is charging voltage applied to the house battery. Disconnects when charging stops.

Works with solar, the Battery Tender, or converter when main RV cord is plugged in. Works in storage, in transit or in use at the campground.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
EdTheEdge wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
With 2 hours per day you do NOT want a battery tender. Use the converter, or use the biggest meanest battery charger you can find.

ATM I only have a Battery Tender Jr.... I will use the available 120v to charge the house battery while I am there. Sometime in the future I will get a better charger.

What's the matter with the converter? Also have you tried using the converter and battery tender at the same time to see if they add their amps at all? Plus any solar. ( You need a low battery to do such testing so it will be sure to accept all the amps you might get in various combinations of chargers)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
With 2 hours per day you do NOT want a battery tender. Use the converter, or use the biggest meanest battery charger you can find.

ATM I only have a Battery Tender Jr.... I will use the available 120v to charge the house battery while I am there. Sometime in the future I will get a better charger.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
EdTheEdge wrote:
Thanks for the info! No it does not also charge the chassis battery. I will be staying in a spot that is mostly covered and only gets 1/2 hour of sunlight a day and will only have access to 120v electrical for a hour or two a day, so I'd like to try and keep my house battery charged as much as possible. Thanks again!

When the 120v is available (even if only 15a) you would get more amps to the battery using the Rv's own converter than with the battery tender jr. You also have alternator charging and according to the brochure on that rig, an Onan gen. All of that works ok with the solar still connected.

To be honest I wasn't thinking about getting a better charge with the 120v.... I also won't be able to use the engine or the generator during my short stay.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
EdTheEdge wrote:
Thanks for the info! No it does not also charge the chassis battery. I will be staying in a spot that is mostly covered and only gets 1/2 hour of sunlight a day and will only have access to 120v electrical for a hour or two a day, so I'd like to try and keep my house battery charged as much as possible. Thanks again!

When the 120v is available (even if only 15a) you would get more amps to the battery using the Rv's own converter than with the battery tender jr. You also have alternator charging and according to the brochure on that rig, an Onan gen. All of that works ok with the solar still connected.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may wish to look at a trik-l-start
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. You will have no issues with multiple charging sources.
Will that also keep the chassis battery charged?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, but why if there is solar installed?
Regards, Don

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short answer, yes.