cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 JAYCO Designer 36RLTS. the water heater works, but the switch for it does not turn in off. If I want it off, I must turn off the breaker. It is dual, propane n electric. I have looked at the control switch, but it appears to be low voltage circuit board. I don't see how to check current in this situation. The switch is with the tank level meters, and switches for pump and gas water heater. We discovered when after several days of "off" the water was still good n hot. Any ideas, Friends n Neighbors?
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!
8 REPLIES 8

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
ATWOOD uses 12V DC as control circuit for BOTH electric and propane.
12V DC goes to both electric/gas ON/OFF switches.
Then on separate wiring DC goes to circuit board for each heat source functions....but both use same t-stat/ECO circuits

Electric uses a DC Relay (located under protective cover where electric element is on backside of water heater tank)
Relay triggers the 120V AC to element

As suggested .......DC Relay stuck closed---120V AC goes to element BUT when temp is reached t-stat opens (140*F) and will close (110*F) to allow for reheat
which would continue with stuck relay

Suburban 'DEL' models use similar control circuit....only the DEL others use separate systems

2007 Jayco Designer Models used an Atwood XT 16 Model standard equipment.
XT Model uses a mixing valve and 10 gallon tank heated to 160*F (Equivalent to 16 gal capacity)

Same wring scheme used on 2004/newer Atwood Standard electric/gas models and XT Models
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
With the Suburban SW6DE that we have, 120 VAC and 12 VDC operation are completely separate. Read that as "isolated."

12 VDC is run by an indoor switch conspicuously marked "Water Heater" and it lights off of its electronic control board. The Power Light comes on, along with a little "Did not Light" LED. When it lights, the little LED goes out and the Power Light stays on till you're finished making hot water.

120 VAC runs either 1. Straight to the Heater where that outdoor switch will turn it On or Off, or 2. Same as (1.) with ANOTHER indoor switch. That's what we have in our Jayco equipped with Suburban SW6DE.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the guidance. david
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is a gas/electric water heater then that switch you are talking about is for propane operation. Open the outside water heater cover and look for a rocker switch. That switch is for electric operation and is more than likely in the on position.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
On our Suburban WH there was only one switch inside and that was for the gas. To turn off the electric you had to remove the outside cover from the heater and turn off the black rocker switch in the lower left hand corner.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
That 3610 RLTS is a great coach! Friends have one and have allowed us to use it on a few occasions.

Please describe "the switch" and provide Make/Model of the Water Heater.

We didn't have water heater "issues" so I remember nothing about it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I think you may be right. I will look into this.. thanks

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably a Relay on the back side of the water heater that is 12 volt activated, but 120 volt load switched. Assuming you find this relay you can check if the 12 volt turns on and off correctly when someone activates the interior switch on and off. Assuming that is working correctly the relay may be jammed in the on position which would allow 120 V on two of the terminals regardless of the position of the interior 12 V switch.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles