cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CPAP 12 volt options

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to travel without my cpap and be okay, but have found I must now use it all the time. BTW, I'm mostly dry camping and have 350 watts of solar available. Trailer has two 6 volt golf cart batteries.

There appears to be 3 choices for me to power it:
1. Buy a cpap battery pack for ~$300
2. Wire and fuse a dedicated 12v line direct to the 2 6v golf cart batteries.
3. Just plug it in to the inverter.

What's the best way to power the CPAP?

Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Found by trial no error...

This sounds foolish but it isn't. Seven years running...

When bedroom temps drop to <60F. The machine gets a dish towel draped over the humidifier section. A manufacturer recommended insulator for the flex hose.

Result? -65% reduction in ampere hours for humidifier. The heating disc SYSTEM has three separate fail-safes (Respironics). And I used a lab grade thermal measurement system with loud audio alert.

Medical UL is a different animal than standard UL. Expensive components and design.

Do your own test during the DAY, and check machine temp by hand.

And OF COURSE the manufacturer would NOT recommend this.

Unfortunately humidification is an absolute necessity for me. Maxxed out on 5, and even that wasn't enough so a hose insulation and humidifier insulation was needed. On forty degree nights, the machine gets covered by blankets.

Scared? Go online and buy a battery powered temp alarm.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I avoid hookups and generators, and have no PV; so efficiency is of great concern. Plugging the CPAP brick into an inverter means you have loses at two conversion points that can totally be eliminated by plugging your 12 V DC CPAP (such as Respironics) directly into your camper's DC supply. Dedicated circuitry is not required, tapping into the bedside light circuit works just fine. The humidifier stays home.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Whangler wrote:

Thanks
I would go with #3 until there was an issue.

I'm a number 3 person as well because you can use the inverter for other stuff besides a CPAP.
If you consider your CPAP akin to life support go with #2. Use wire and fuse rated for double the expected load. When it is critical, simple is best.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Whangler wrote:

Thanks

I'm a number 3 person as well because you can use the inverter for other stuff besides a CPAP.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Hmmm, does not the issue have a make-or-break limit with regard to the level of personal effort needed to supply power? Effort is not cost.

Well, it's not a big job to wire the dedicated 12v outlet to bedside. My biggest concern is having enough charge on the house batteries left after using the cpap. The house batteries will get charged daily with 350w solar however.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, does not the issue have a make-or-break limit with regard to the level of personal effort needed to supply power? Effort is not cost.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whangler wrote:

Thanks

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, here's the link.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
This little guy on Amazon looks promising for a portable rechargeable pack. $140-something. Claims 40800 mAh

It's limited to 100 watts on the AC circuit. 150 watts surge. I don't think that would work with my CPAP. I'll have to check it out. A similar one said in it's description that it would work for CPAP. They wouldn't fib, would they?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
40800 mAh = 40.8 amp-hours. Probably not pure sine wave on the inverter side. Cost or a link would be useful.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
This little guy on Amazon looks promising for a portable rechargeable pack. $140-something. Claims 40800 mAh
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Goal 0 stuff is pricey and bulky. I can carry 2 LI cpap batteries in my day pack when spike camping with no issue. Size and weight are important to me when packing in, especially at 10K feet. Every ounce counts. Guess thats why I have a $5.000.00 dollar lightweight carbon fiber stocked titanium action hunting rifle, ultra light mountain tent and KUIU down bag.

For me, an RV is nice but not the only way to go.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at the CostCo page for the 1000. Pretty pricey! But one of the pictures was of a guy with a CPAP in a tent plugged into the machine. So I'm guessing it will work.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Lithium batteries don't give off gas so you can sleep next to them.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.