cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running heater when RV is covered

DE47
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 4-seasons 5th wheel that I recently put a cover on for the summer. If I leave that cover on can I still run the furnace over the winter to keep the underbelly warm?
17 REPLIES 17

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Well I winterize every year, up here it can get cold, and I use three of these items that are supposed to help keep moisture away.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
4-season trailer is kind of a joke. - Really, it's just marketing hype. I'll run an oil filled radiant heater to keep from winterizing for short periods and/or if the temps are too cold. Otherwise, I just drain out the water, blow out the lines and pour anti-freeze in the tanks.

I respectfully disagree! Yes... per cublc foot of heated area, it will require more heating than a well insulated stick and mortar home. And, I will not hesitate to use my camper at a -20 F and below.... and have done so!

It's simply a matter of construction.... you can't run a Ford Pinto in the Indy 500 for numerous reasons! :R
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
4-season trailer is kind of a joke. - Really, it's just marketing hype. I'll run an oil filled radiant heater to keep from winterizing for short periods and/or if the temps are too cold. Otherwise, I just drain out the water, blow out the lines and pour anti-freeze in the tanks.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
DE47 wrote:
Thanks everyone! I winterize my other trailer but the people I bought this from said they just left the heater on low all winter..... I'll winterize this one as well...
Intelligent thing to do.

JerryandSusie
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure your insurance company would approve.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummings Diesel
2017 31' Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
Honda 2000W Gen.
Our Yorkie kids: Scooter & Daisy

DE47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I winterize my other trailer but the people I bought this from said they just left the heater on low all winter..... I'll winterize this one as well...

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DE47 wrote:
I have a 4-seasons 5th wheel that I recently put a cover on for the summer. If I leave that cover on can I still run the furnace over the winter to keep the underbelly warm?

What is your goal? Do you want to avoid winterizing the water system, or keep out the damp?
I assume you have power to the unit while in storage, otherwise you Gould kill the battery in short order.
If you have at least a 30 amp outlet available I would suggest installing a Cheap Heat system, and run it as it is all electric, dry heat and no heat out the exterior vents! Ice heated air through the heating ducts.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
I say heat it to keep all your seasonal guests cozy for the winter. ๐Ÿ˜„

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need to be prepared to change out the L.P. tanks way more often than you may think. Heating an RV with the furnace all Winter is going to be very expensive...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
seems to be pretty expensive to run your furnace all winter. I would winterize it don't take that long

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Furnace recircs the inside air so that would not be an issue

Furnace combustion comes in via outside vent and the exhaust after flowing thru heat exchanger goes back outside.

Exhaust is HOT right at the exhaust port but quickly looses heat within 8" - 12" of exterior of rig especially when cold outside.

CO (Carbon Monoxide) COULD----COULD be an issue IF heat exchanger had a crack.
Course that is an issue anytime furnace is operated and why a working CO Monitor is key safety device.

COVER.....would have to cut not just a window but a panel out of area around furnace intake/exhaust ports and secure it so exhaust fumes which do contain CO would not go up under cover and collect
PLUS there issue of heat...which is less of a concern if cut out panel is at least 12" wider then intake/exhaust port area

Lot easier to drain & winterize rv plumbing lines/system and keep cover on and intact.

Just winterize it :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
How will fresh air get into the camper?

Danger, Will Robinson!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better to winterize the plumbing and let it freeze.
JMHO

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No.
Not only is the Co an issue, the exhaust is hot enough to start the cover on fire.