cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost for a reliable rig

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
Now I am considering buying a 5th wheel again. Only had a small travel trailer decades ago, so, I don't know much. Wondering how much a reliable 5th wheel and truck would cost. I am not afraid to spend whatever, but, typically, not so crazy about buying a brand new trailer. Thinking surely I could find something fairly new that has taken the depreciation hit.

My idea is to visit certain places for more than a casual visit. Mostly in the summers, looking for cooler weather than the deep south! Like, set up shop for awhile. Maybe even a few months. Next year, go somewhere else.

I know price is impossible to answer for all questions but can anyone give an opinion on what would be a reasonable cost range to buy something new? A trailer, and then a 1-ton. Seems everybody says you need a 1-ton. I certainly like reliable! Do you need 4wd? I do prefer 4wd for pulling a boat. Which I would sometimes do. I recently almost could not get my boat out of a public launch with my 2wd truck due to a foot of mud from a recent river rise.

Does a 5th-wheel provide quite a bit more room inside than a coach, or is that wrong?

Decisions, decisions. Heck, I want a coach pulling a 5th wheel pulling a small truck pulling a boat, lol.
10 REPLIES 10

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say around 45-50,000 for both if you want reliable

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
john&bet wrote:
It might depend on your definition of reliability.

X2

I had a about 9k in my last rig. Pretty reliable. I towed it all over the southeast.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
Jeremiah when I first got into RV'S I bought a 5k truck and a 5k trailer and used both for 5 years. When I bought a new RV I sold both for what I paid for them. Never had trouble with the truck or trailer other then normal maintenance.

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback so far. I am kind of leaning towards a new truck and a lightly used 5th wheel. I can afford to spend whatever I need, as I can even sell my house and buy another later after I travel around awhile. I don't know how long 'awhile' will be.

As for expectations, I am not a tinkerer. I can do maintenance, I am just not a person who loves to tinker with this and that. I have two local 'shade tree' guys who can fix just about anything. I'd rather just pay them, they charge reasonably. Point being, 'reliable' for at least a few years is top on the list. I know things will go wrong based on threads I have read, just hope to keep it to a minimum.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Previous rig: $4500 for 28' 5th wheel and $2500 for Diesel F250. Cross country and full time for 6 months at a time for about 8-9yrs. Truck looked rough (lots of rust) but ran perfect. Trailer was in great condition and stayed that way until we decided to upsize a bit.

Current rig: $14000 for 34' 5th wheel and $6000 for V10 F250. Both look and operate well (truck has a little rust around rear wheel wells but I cleaned that up). Not so many miles yet but just picked up the 5th wheel this summer and spent most of the summer in it (life hasn't allowed for long trips this summer).

How much do you have to spend and what are your expectations?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:

X2

I had a about 9k in my last rig. Pretty reliable. I towed it all over the southeast.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it is pretty easy to find an old quality 5th wheel that hasn't seen much use for 20k. Personally I would buy a new diesel truck. You could buy a 7 year old diesel for about about 1/2 the price of new but after using it for another 7 years it probably won't be worth much.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A smaller FW that can be easily pulled with a gas truck will keep the truck cost down considerably. For towing a camper 4wd doesn't matter much. For launching and retrieving a boat I would want it. Around here we have mountains and it snows so you rarely even see a 2wd truck and it's hard to give one away if you want to get rid of one. I use my truck for all kinds of construction, firewood, etc. so I won't be without 4wd.
I can find lots of gas 4wd HD pick-ups for $20,000 that I would consider reliable but that's kind of subjective. As for a FW, just depends on what you want. A small low option unit is a lot different than a 40' luxury model.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Buy or select the 5er or coach then look for an adequate TV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Truck? 30K should get you a decent low to mid mileage 3500 diesel. As for a fiver? 25 to 75K depending on size, age, options. For instance.... my 40K miles 2007 Ram 4X2 quad cab dually if I were to sell right now it would be 30K my 2005 36 foot fiver in pretty good condition with no leaks would be 25K. That includes new carpet, new slide toppers and a quality queen mattress, plus a slew of other options.