cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fairy Stone SP

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK! On our way last week to Fairy Stone SP, from St. Louis, MO, and while in northern GA, Irma threatened. Changed plans and headed west and ended up in Hot Springs NP. My question is this: We're determined to get to Fairy Stone SP and plan on going next year. So what's the best time to go. Have no kids, so school isn't an issue. Were thinking about spring sometime, but ain't driving that far and putting up with rain when we should be hunting fairy stones. Would like to avoid the summer crowds.
Any suggestions?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
7 REPLIES 7

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob, here's the link to contact the Southeast Dutch Oven Society to find events.They cover events in VA. It looks like their website is new and the calendar hasn't been filled in yet.
http://www.southeasterndutchovensociety.com/contact

There's also a 2 State DOG for NC/VA April 7, 2018. Details at this link
http://www.dutchovengathering.com/

Glad to see you recovering.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
watt, thanks for the tip. That just might be the plan as we have a geezer pass also. And the park looks very nice for our style of camping/rv'ing. Gotta find some fairy stones to give to my Dr. I'm just off procedure for prostate cancer and the DR is very religious. Gotta find him some fairy stones! So if not this trip, come the spring we'll make it. I owe it to him.
Magnus, any DOG's happening in that area then? I gotta learn to do this.

thanks all
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear you couldn't go, Bob. Irma threw a monkey wrench into everyone's plans last week. I'll second April/May for your trip. Hope you enjoy it.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

watt100
Explorer
Explorer
We have never been to fairy stone but driven through if you are determined to stay there for a particular reason like others said April would be good. We go to Goose Point coe park apx 2 miles east of Fairy Stone on Hwy 57 toward Bassett,Va. We camp there because we have the senior card. The top loop in small but quieter and we can fit our 33' fifth wheel in there on most sites. Down the hill are the campsites on Philpott Lake and more crowed with kids in summer.
2016 Ram 3500 SRW
2016 Grand Design Reflection

garmp12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. End of April early May fits our schedule best. We'll shoot for that.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
The weather in the area of FSSP should be good for another couple of months - up until the end of October, at least. Then, you ever know when winter is going to release it's hold on the area. Usually, by April 1, the winter is gone and spring has started, but, we have gotten some big snows then. Usually, they melt off pretty quick, but that is something to think about. Anytime in May, you should experience some pretty good weather.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
I think Virginia state parks open March 1st. So any time from March 1 to May 30 to miss the big crowds. End of April is the best for us.
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)