cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What broke my window?

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
Have a "broken" double pane window on an almost new trailer. Curious part is that it is a side window. There is a small hole in the outer window while the inner window is completely crazed. There is no hole in the inner window. The outer window hole is just a tad less than an fresh 20 caliber pellet. Given the history and where it is parked, it would have been very difficult for this to have taken place anywhere but on the road. Soooo, has anyone suffered a broken side window (small hole) as a result of a stone being thrown by another vehicle on the road? My curiosity is getting the best of me because I can't imagine a stone from the road penetrating the side window and leaving a small hole. New window ordered from Lippert to the tune of $350 and five weeks.
'07 Chevy 3500 Dooley, CC, LT3, D/A
11 REPLIES 11

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to say. The only reason you be so curious just to possibly avoid it in the future. The window was replaced today. Very easy now that they are using what is known as a D Seal gasket. No putty to mess with. However, it is a lesson with respect to double pane windows. They are much more expensive to replace and single pane. And apparently canโ€™t be done by your local glass people. It was $350 for a replacement window! And that is only a 30 x 20 Item! It couldโ€™ve been a rock. But the small distinct hole makes me doubt that. BTW, iโ€™ve discovered that a small, very inexpensive tool is sold that allows you to break the glass in your automobile window in case you are headed underwater. I saw one recently, and the rod that breaks the glass is about the size of the hole in the window. Just hold it to the window and push the button.

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Occasionally. One of those big mowers doing the side of the road lets one get thru. Same for gardeners using a powerful string trimmer or.....some smutz with a BB gun.
The older we get, the faster we go

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends had a side window explode on their brand new Thor toy hauler. Thankfully they hired a lawyer as there was a magnitude of other problems but a window did blow out for no reason.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I'm leaning toward the .177 caliber BB or pellet theory as well. Depending upon distance and velocity, BBs tend to bounce off targets and pellets tend to penetrate targets. Not that it matters, either way, your window is broken. Sad if it was a mischievous act.

When replacing it, you might be able to reveal further evidence of the cause.

Perhaps a slightly related story: Many years ago (early 80's) my mom was driving home from work and she heard something hit the roof as she was approaching a pedestrian overpass on the highway. My dad and I went out to look at the car. Right above the driver's side of the windshield about 6" back on the roof, there was a long, deep gouge in the roof. My dad grabbed a .22 bullet and it fit perfectly in the groove. Split second timing difference and it probably would've hit the windshield and my mom, probably causing a fatal accident at highway speeds. As we looked into it, apparently there were numerous reports of people throwing rocks and bricks off the bridge to hit the cars below as well. They put a "fence cage" all the way around the walkway to prevent objects from being thrown over, but the incidents continued. A few short years later, the walkway was taken down.

Just because we call it "civilization" doesn't mean all of the inhabitants are civilized.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I once was on a long bridge, no traffic going either way. Only me when a rock struck my windshield. No clue where it came from. Space maybe?

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
Not parked where a mower rock could hit it. On closer examination, it looks like only the outer window is broken. The inner looked shattered, but that is backside of outer window, which looks not shattered on the outside due to dark shaded glass. I suppose it could be a rock but it is a small penetrating hole, more like a pellet

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Had two broken windows on my trailer in storage. One was when the trailer was parked between two other trailers blocking the window. I could tell by the break pattern that it was a rock from the lawn mower. It doesn't take much of a rock coming at lawnmower blade speed to go through a window.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
VERY strange as I thought RV glass was tempered. Maybe it's set the inside that is as I am now looking at mine and the inner is the only pc that has the tempered bug etched into the glass.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Is it on a side where a mower could throw a rock or other object at it? Maybe even at an RV park while you were away and they were mowing.

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
Looked for that but cant see anything yet. Will look more closely when I replace the window and can take the glass out.

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a bb or pellet. If that's the case, I'd think you'd find the projectile in between the panes.

Weird.

CC