cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow behind VS Fifth wheelers

Jose_de_Sucre
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RVers: I am in the process of transitioning from a Class A motor home to either a tow behind trailer or a fifth wheeler. Reason is both my wife and I are retired and empty-nesters, so we are going to be traveling more and looking for every way to stretch our dollars as much as possible. We are considering a small trailer towed with a medium sized SUV, or small fifth wheeler towed with a half-ton pickup. In fact we already own a Dodge Ram pickup, with a cap over the bed, so one of the question is: Is it really worth it to remove the cap for the alleged advantages of the fifth wheeler? I would appreciate to hear about your experiences and advise on this issues. And if there are any articles over the same subjects that you know of, please tell me where to look for them. Thanks a lot in advance.
58 REPLIES 58

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Jose, you still haven't posted your Ram's payload capacity amount.
Without that and your truck's specs, it's difficult to make any suggestions.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a Hensley Arrow hitch, and the sweet spot for me is 65-70 mph. This keeps the rpms in the power band and the truck downshifts a lot less.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Jose de Sucre wrote:
Thank you guys.
Obviously I am learning a lot, ... fast!
Yes, I am looking for a 5,000 lbs trailer.
And, ... lawrosa: 75-80 MPH ??? ๐Ÿ™‚
You are giving me hope that life is not going to be as boring as I was afraid it would be !!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

LOL..Well I have a low slung 4x4 long bed.. 157" wheel base helps a lot IMO..

Ive only owned coachmens and they tow straight and true. I have no sway control but the WD hitch..

I would go faster but the tires on the trailer are only rated 81 mph...:E

But in reality 72 mph is the sweet spot for me..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Jose_de_Sucre
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys.
Obviously I am learning a lot, ... fast!
Yes, I am looking for a 5,000 lbs trailer.
And, ... lawrosa: 75-80 MPH ??? ๐Ÿ™‚
You are giving me hope that life is not going to be as boring as I was afraid it would be !!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jose de Sucre wrote:
My RAM is a 2008 Dakota 1500 with a Hemi. It can tow almost anything....

...and the check is in the mail. Yes it will tow, but carrying capacity is the limiting factor on all but the biggest trucks.

The idea is to stay below the GVWR, meaning that occupants, cargo in the bed, and the 15% of the trailer weight that is on the tongue shouldn't exceed the GVWR.

For most 1500 trucks, that leaves you with a fully loaded trailer weight of 6000-7000 lbs, meaning you are shopping "dry" weights in the 4000-5000 lb range. Don't rely on my numbers here, you need to do the math for your own truck.

Also remember the hemi is probably the strongest part of the equation, but a chain is only as string as its weakest link. You may have the power to pull a big TT, but will the transmission and rear axle stand up to the stress is another question. Again these are not facts about your truck but points to consider as you do your research.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
The transition to a TT or fifth wheel can be made a lot less painful by deciding on what you are going to tow and than match the vehicle to it. I went by the manufactures spec on a previous vehicle and purchased it. The TT I had was on the max side of allowable gross weight for the combo. I still remember the salesman asking me if I was certain the truck would handle the TT. Handling was fine, performance not......Everything was fine until I hit the mountains on the eastern sea board. Combined with a stiff off shore breeze I enjoyed 7 mpg and the only time I saw fifth gear was on a down hill slope.
I changed tow vehicles to the one in my sig and usually average 19 mpg highway not towing and 12.3 on a 1800+ drive from Texas pulling the TT in my sig. My cost of choosing the wrong TV hit me in the wallet hard.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:

Most trucks are similar in this class IMO..

I get 19 highway light on gas 65 mph. 13-14 combo, errands, etc

My trip from nj to florida( disney) and back with camper, fully loaded, I averaged 8.75 mpg.. 6000bs

I agree with lawrosa's comments. I believe with the OP's truck and a travel trailer well matched to it, if speed is kept to around 60mph, he can budget for 9 to 10 mpg.

In my travels I talk to a lot of folks in CG's. I've met numerous folks who transitioned from class A to travel trailer, and all were happy with the change. I suspect a lot of whether we are happy with a change is the mindset and expectations that go with the change. I'm literally happy that I can be out there exploring the country with my trailer behind me.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Jose de Sucre wrote:
Got it, thanks! Actually, in my previous post I said something thats not correct about the mpg I get from my Laramie Ram. When I am not towing anything and I am gently on the gas pedal my mpg on the road is about 19. That number drops to 14 when I am towing and/or I drive more "enthusiastically". Fourteen is also my bottom when driving errands in traffic, etc. And that is double what I used to get from my Pace Arrow with a Magnum engine. So, let's see what happens when I start towing a TT ๐Ÿ™‚

Most trucks are similar in this class IMO..

I get 19 highway light on gas 65 mph. 13-14 combo, errands, etc

My trip from nj to florida( disney) and back with camper, fully loaded, I averaged 8.75 mpg.. 6000bs

This was 75-80 mph though..

When traveling and trying to put on miles 65 mph dont cut it!!!!
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Jose_de_Sucre
Explorer
Explorer
Got it, thanks! Actually, in my previous post I said something thats not correct about the mpg I get from my Laramie Ram. When I am not towing anything and I am gently on the gas pedal my mpg on the road is about 19. That number drops to 14 when I am towing and/or I drive more "enthusiastically". Fourteen is also my bottom when driving errands in traffic, etc. And that is double what I used to get from my Pace Arrow with a Magnum engine. So, let's see what happens when I start towing a TT ๐Ÿ™‚

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is not the weight that will get you but the trailer frontal area instead. Weight is only a consideration when starting, stopping, or going uphill.

Frontal area is there all the time and the faster you go the more it will kill your mileage. Just because your truck gets decent mileage towing your boat does not mean it is going to get anything near that when towing a full sized travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Jose_de_Sucre
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
As far as mileage goes, towing a TT isn't going to any better in the mileage department! You'll be lucky to hit 8 mpg. With a MH you are only driving a gas guzzler on vacations. With a truck you will be driving a gas guzzler daily. As far as maintenance is concerned, on a MH you only need to do an oil change once a year. As well as transmission services around 50k mile interval. So in reality owning a MH isn't more to maintain. As far as insurance goes. You will still have to insure the trailer.
I truly think you will regret going to a trailer from a class A.

Looking back that is the route I wish I would've went when we got into RV'ing. Ide much rather have a better vehicle for everyday driving. Just something to think about.

Thanks. I will have all that in mind. But, my wife and I are both retired and empty-nesters, so we will be RVing more than just during "a vacation". And my RAM gives me almost the same mileage on the road when I am towing or not towing my boat. But of course the boat is not as heavy. So I am going to experiment and we will see. ๐Ÿ˜‰

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as mileage goes, towing a TT isn't going to any better in the mileage department! You'll be lucky to hit 8 mpg. With a MH you are only driving a gas guzzler on vacations. With a truck you will be driving a gas guzzler daily. As far as maintenance is concerned, on a MH you only need to do an oil change once a year. As well as transmission services around 50k mile interval. So in reality owning a MH isn't more to maintain. As far as insurance goes. You will still have to insure the trailer.
I truly think you will regret going to a trailer from a class A.

Looking back that is the route I wish I would've went when we got into RV'ing. Ide much rather have a better vehicle for everyday driving. Just something to think about.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jose_de_Sucre
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Since this part hasn't been covered yet and it's been bothering me for 5 pages! Any trailer is a tow behind, PuP, Travel Trailer and fifth wheel (there is no r in fifth wheel BTW ,LOL). They all get towed behind something. OK I feel better now!
The fifth wheel tows better than a TT. But a TT can tow just as well if it's setup properly.

However since you have a class A now I don't think you'll like going to a TT. I would find a newer class A in good shape rather than buy a new trailer.

Thanks for your advice. I already sold my class A, and the reason for switching to a TT is money. The mpg with any MH is terrible, and even more having to tow a car. Plus the cost of two insurances, two registrations, two engines and transmissions to maintain, etc.

Jose_de_Sucre
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Jose de Sucre wrote:
Soooooorry, shame on me. My RAM is a Laramie, not a Dakota. And it does have a 5.7 Hemi. With a class IV hitch it can tow up to 10.000 lbs, and same weight for a fifth wheeler/gooseneck.

He has the laramie... If this ram PDF is correct he has the 20" wheels that are frowned upon for towing..

That puts him at 1400 lbs payload.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2008/docs/dr/mlup1500.pdf

( I have a 1400 pound payload too but mine was cat scaled with 34 gal fuel and me 200 lbs in the truck. Thats 414 lbs)

So technically 1850 is my payload dry..

From that PDF he has identical specs to my 2006 silverado. Axles rates and all..

But best part is he has the 5 speed with 3:92 rear.. I have 3:42 and 4 speed..

Page 6 bottom shows the larimie..

Yes you are absolutely right on everything here. I didn't know the 20' wheels were frowned upon for towing, but I guess I can't change them because it will throw out my speedometer/odometer. However, I've been towing my boat without problems, so I'll take my chances with a small or mid-size trailer of no more than 5000 lbs.