cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck in front of the camper

mkletka
Explorer
Explorer
I've been out of the truck camper world for a few years but want to get back into it before I get too old to enjoy it. Looking to buy an older Chevy 3500 w/ an 8.1 gas motor. Want to make sure I can handle any camper I will find. Hoping to do just short trips 600 miles or so from home. Any input from 8.1 truck owners? I've had the a duramax in the past but would rather have a gasser since they are easier to work on and not as expensive to repair as diesel engines.
24 REPLIES 24

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II

Last year I sold my 05 Chevy 3500 with the 8.1l and Alison 5 speed.  I carried a 2001 Lance 961 (4000#) and towed a utility trailer (6000#-8000#).  When I sold it, there were about 130,000 miles and it still ran great.  If you're familiar with the i15 in Calif., approaching the top of the Cajon pass, it would slow down to 50.  Other than that, it would pull without any difficulty.  It was a thirsty beast getting a consistent 8.5 mpg at 55.  Every 5 mph over that dropped about .5 mpg.

That said, I bought a Host Everest, and it would have been way too heavy for that truck.  Not so much because of the engine, but the suspension, axles, etc. would have been drastically overloaded.

You statement that you want to be able to handle "any camper" with that truck is not realistic, but if you're looking for a camper in the 4000# (fully loaded) or less, it will be fine.

2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wnjj wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
8.1L's produce a lot of heat and do use oil, up to a quart every 1000 miles. Mobil 1 5W30 seems to hold up the best.

When I bought my 8.1L, my dad already had his. At the time he had read that running 10W30 helped reduce oil consumption. I cannot confirm it helps but I have been running it since new and at 70k miles it still goes a few thousand miles before it needs a quart.

I think I’d be pouring 15-40 Dino oil in it as needed. Just like virtually every other 4s engine I own or have owned, for years.
Afaik, the 8.1 is a “loose” motor, just as most big bores are/need to be. So not only do they like/can handle a bit higher viscosity, 15-40 is just universally fine unless a particular engine needs thinner oil for “real” reasons….like the tight, small bore, small oil return galley old Triton 4.2, 4.6, 5.4s. I’m sure there are others too.

One thing to consider is not just oil consumption, but randomly variable oil consumption. A characteristic that I’ve really only seen in big blocks, save for the 350 in my buddy’s boat.
Recent example is the motor in our 86 GMC. It’s a low mile (like 20-30k miles, tops) Mark VI GM crate motor straight from the dealer about 20 years ago. So not a powerhouse by any means but a step up from the TBI peanut port heads engines.

That thing will suck down a quart in 3 tanks of gas one time and not use a drop the next. And it’s only a cruiser, rarely/never works hard.
Just a couple days ago I was scolding the boy about last time he checked the oil. He admitted it probably needed oil. While he was working on something else I popped the dipstick so I could give him a good told ya so, and it was full right to the top dot!
Doesn’t leak a drop, not even oily around the mains or anywhere else. Doesn’t burn enough to even make a hint of blue smoke on cold starts. Just sometimes uses oil, sometimes it don’t!

I personally wouldn’t want that, knowingly, for a daily driver or even more so a tow pig. I’m more of a change the oil, shut the hood and forget about it until the next oil change….
Maybe an intermediate check if it’s well into an OCI and going to hit the road for some high miles or big towing.

Again, the OP being super budget conscious, the best rig is the best condition, low miles, for the best price he can find. Whether it’s wearing a bow tie or a blue oval or a goat w/horns on the grille.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you need to find "any" camper. There are ones that are very big/heavy now. I'm assuming you are talking about a 3500 DRW not SRW.

Other than range and pulling mtns/elevation, I believe a gasoline engine either 6.0 or 8.1 will be ok. I had a Chevy 2500 with 6.0 and pulled a 4000 lb boat with it. It had enough power with 3.73s. No, it didn't pull like a diesel, but it was a simpler engine. I think a TC will be fine. Bonus for a GM is that they are a little more comfortable, but I feel 2005 and above Ford will have better brakes. YMMV.

As far as older Dodges not rusting any more as other brands, I don't agree. Most of the time, the rumors that many people have are somewhat true. Ram has improved the past 8 years or so. A lot of people prefer the Ford Interiors/transmission and given a diesel choice would take a Cummins in that era. If you are talking as much as other brands that don't see salt or winter deicer, then I would agree.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
8.1L's produce a lot of heat and do use oil, up to a quart every 1000 miles. Mobil 1 5W30 seems to hold up the best.

When I bought my 8.1L, my dad already had his. At the time he had read that running 10W30 helped reduce oil consumption. I cannot confirm it helps but I have been running it since new and at 70k miles it still goes a few thousand miles before it needs a quart.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkletka wrote:
Believe it or not, there are a few 8.1 w/ Allison's out there. Saw a 2001 2WD w/ only 89k miles for sale located in KY.

You driving to Kentucky now?
Just make sure it’s actually a 8.1 and not one of them rare 6.0/Alli combos you think are out there.

We bought new our 2001 chev dually with the 8.1 and 5 speed Allison trannie and towed a 13400 lb alpenlite .  At 58 K miles we traded for the duramax but the 8.1 was running like new with no issues.  Oil use was minor .  Trannie was great for going down mountains.  chevman retired from rving with an awesome 05 3500 duramax in the garage waiting for another chance maybe

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkletka wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
No Alli behind a 6.0.

I've seen several for sale with an Allison and a 6.0. The 6.0 is more of a common motor with more availability of parts. Between the 8.1 & 6.0 they both have their weaknesses but both able to be wrenched on fairly easily.

Negative ghost rider. Not unless the 6liter was swapped into an 8.1 or a diesel truck.

mkletka
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
No Alli behind a 6.0.

I've seen several for sale with an Allison and a 6.0. The 6.0 is more of a common motor with more availability of parts. Between the 8.1 & 6.0 they both have their weaknesses but both able to be wrenched on fairly easily.

mkletka
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not, there are a few 8.1 w/ Allison's out there. Saw a 2001 2WD w/ only 89k miles for sale located in KY.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@mkirsch. Yes your low mile 8.1 is a real gem. GM really screwed up by not continuing the LS/Allison combo. Even if not the 8.1. They would have OWNED the HD pickup gasser market for many years. Only ones close up until just a few years ago was superduty gassers once they got the 6r140 trans in the early 2010s.
But to your point, older trucks like yours and any other good examples are fetching top dollar.
And for a budget minded purchase like the OP is after, even if the 8.1 is top dawg, it’s imo more about the overall package and value.
And with them not getting any younger, any less miles, any less wore out and any less rusty, finding a suitable truck with minimal miles, wear and rust AND not 25 grand is the name of the game.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@Stircrazy, yes to the 6L and most LS motors. They are arguably heads and tails above even the old GM small blocks and most other gas engines. I think the one other comparable in durability is the Triton V10s.
To the OP I was speaking stock for stock. As most folks here aren’t interested in mod motors, even tuning. But I agree with you. Hell, guys even slap blowers on high mile 4.8s and run em to the moon and they seem to hold up.
When time permits I have visions of a shortbed squarebody sitting on a GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon chassis. Almost the same wheelbase. Idk how the fab work would go but it would be the ultimate AWD sleeper. And all it would need is bolt on parts and a built trans to run with Hellcats. Hahaha
LS powered old trucks are a true bargain for making big power.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkletka wrote:
Having had a lawn service for 39 years I found out that getting a truck big enough to handle anything I wanted to do with it plus what I didn't know I wanted to do with it was a lesson learned. I've decided that a 3500 of some sort with either a Chevy 6.0 or 8.1 is a good choice. The Allison is good as I've had them w/ the Duramax. A Dodge w/ a Cummins is a good choice but I've found that Dodges seem to rust too much. I've had a Ford 6.0 and don't like all the things that can go wrong w/ the engine. Diesel vs gas isn't such a big issue when carrying a heavy load. With the price difference between diesel and gas they end up about equal. Thanks for the input.

I've had a 2002 Chevy 3500 with the 8.1L and Allison since about 2010. Started out with 38000 miles on it, have 58000 on it now. Only run it April through October. It's my "toy" that can tow or haul just about anything I need it to.

I also have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L and 6-speed from my Dad. There is no comparison. The '02 will run circles around the newer truck any day, any time, any load, any trailer.

The problem is they're getting long in the tooth. It's not like you can just walk on to any dealer lot and get a nice low mileage example. More likely you're going to find something that's got a bajillion miles on it, rusty, clapped out. You're not going to find one like mine just every day, and unless you wave a LOT of $100 bills in front of my face, it's not for sale.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:

Way too quick….they’re 300k mile engines, average I’d say. While I haven’t seen any 300k’s in our fleet, the company has a ton of them and plenty of late 2000s models that have been beat on daily for the last 15 years and a new engine or significant engine problems are not heard of afaik.
The 8.1 can be a great engine. Also can be an oil sucking pig and you won’t know it until the check clears….
The 6.0 which will doo fine in front of the 4L80 albeit kinda anemic is even better if you step up to the late 2000s or newer for the 6L80.
Don’t expect better gas mileage than any other truck or similar size/era. That’s not what you’re purchasing anyway and frankly is WAY down on the list of importance when buying an old truck and expecting great service out of it still.

we build drag motors out of 300k 6L engines. pull them part new bearings, cm tuning and you have 550HP, throw a Pro charger on that and you have 7-750hp and you can bag on it all day.

in a previous statement you say it isn't about HP/Power that can be solved with just tuning. With nothing else you can take a stock 6L LS to just about 500 hp.

but buddy has the big motor with a factory super charger.. he has no issue towing the race car trailer with his camper on but it gets 8 to 10mpg all the time haha
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No Alli behind a 6.0.
And Dodges don’t “rust” any more than any of the other big 2 from your 2000s era desired vehicles.
Heck I got a buddy with an 05 F150 in IL. We call it the “museum” because he’s so anal about it and it hardly ever got driven until a couple years ago. I think it might have 100k on it now…
Mostly kept inside every and all winter and if he took it up north snomachining it got double undercarriage washed. Plus he typically sprayed the inside of the body panels every couple years with Fluid film or similar. That thing has rust breaking out of PERFECT paint, like a teenagers pimples when they hit puberty!
And none of them will rust at all for years if you buy one NOT from the Midwest to start with….it would be about 98% foolish to buy a 20 year old pickup that came from anywhere north of Tennessee Arkansa and anywhere east of the Mississippi, in general. The last 2% are the aforementioned diamonds in a goats ass, owned typically by some one who only towed their rv in the good months and stored it religiously once the rain turned white EVERY year.

But, Rust free trucks aren’t special where vehicles are 90% of them rust free….just sayin.

And again, buying an old truck, sure there’s a few things you DONT want. Like a 6.0 Flowerjoke, a Dodge with a 47/48re, and that’s about it. After that the reliability of any of em is far more about the condition of the truck and the miles than it is on the emblem on the grille!
Unless you have unlimited time to find the perfect 8.1/Alli AND the owner isn’t an “I know what I got” kinda feller.

Also since you’re on a tight budget, look for 2wd trucks. With the ridiculous costs these last couple years, 2wds are an even better value.