cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper A/C instalation

biggjb
Explorer
Explorer

I have a 1999 fleetwood elkhorn truck camper which does not have A/C installed.  There is an outlet plug for an A/C unit and I need to know if anyone else installed A/C in their truck camper and how they did the work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad

Assuming replacing a standard vent, Its basically removing vent and installing AC in that hole. On ours, an 01 Elkhorn it was prewired for AC, however the outlet on ceiling was a junction box with no receptacle so required a short piece of 12-2 from junction box to AC hole, AC is hardwired. I've read on some the outlet wasnt connected to mains/no breaker so I'd verify that 1st. 

Main task is removing old vent and caulking. That was the most difficult IMO. Tedious . Carefully scrapping off old sealant (heat helps to soften but dont get roof membrane hot, glue can debond). I used acetone sparingly after most sealant off, paint thinner/mineral spirits can cause roof membrane to swell.

ftv4.jpg 

Once clean I covered hole with eterna bond tape. I didnt trust AC gasket covering the old vent holes and sealing.

ftv5.jpg

Then its getting AC on roof. If at all possible get help. I got ours up using 2 ladders but pretty sketchy. After that its just installing per instructions, Drop in hole, connect wiring and install the inside panel. 

ac6.jpg

I did seal our 'hole' with aluminum tape. The AC we used sides of hole is open and part of the distribution box for lack of better description, I didn't want wood exposed to possible direct condensation.  

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

Many brands have directions on their sites on how to install a particular brand.  Some are pretty heavy, so it might not be the safest thing to install on your own.  The last one I had replaced was about $100 for the install which seemed fair.  You may ask a local RV dealer what they charge to install before attempting it.

There are a few people who've shown their installs on YouTube, so that might be worth checking out for ideas as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad

Assuming replacing a standard vent, Its basically removing vent and installing AC in that hole. On ours, an 01 Elkhorn it was prewired for AC, however the outlet on ceiling was a junction box with no receptacle so required a short piece of 12-2 from junction box to AC hole, AC is hardwired. I've read on some the outlet wasnt connected to mains/no breaker so I'd verify that 1st. 

Main task is removing old vent and caulking. That was the most difficult IMO. Tedious . Carefully scrapping off old sealant (heat helps to soften but dont get roof membrane hot, glue can debond). I used acetone sparingly after most sealant off, paint thinner/mineral spirits can cause roof membrane to swell.

ftv4.jpg 

Once clean I covered hole with eterna bond tape. I didnt trust AC gasket covering the old vent holes and sealing.

ftv5.jpg

Then its getting AC on roof. If at all possible get help. I got ours up using 2 ladders but pretty sketchy. After that its just installing per instructions, Drop in hole, connect wiring and install the inside panel. 

ac6.jpg

I did seal our 'hole' with aluminum tape. The AC we used sides of hole is open and part of the distribution box for lack of better description, I didn't want wood exposed to possible direct condensation.  

AnEv942, thank you so much for this detail.  I think I just lack hands on application.  As soon as it warms up a bit up here in Canada I will endeavor to add an air conditioner to my TC.  Elkhorn model is the 11x but unlike your model mine was a wood frame which I think would have been slightly heavier.  Once I start the work I will relay my progress.

Warmer weather will help... Our roof is also all wood. Though touted as aluminum framed, only the side walls and back walls are al framed. Roof, floor, wing and front walls are wood framed. The Caribou had aluminum roof rafters. But that would only come into play if you were moving, adding or modifying the hole. As to weight our 9'9 left the factory slightly heavier than your 11' due to the slide out.  

If you pick out an AC, likely can find/download the instructions prior to see whats involved in its installation.  Good luck but other than old caulk and handling 70# pretty straight forward. 

AnEv942 thanks for your help.  As you also have an Elkhorn my next question pertains to the atwood jacks.  The previous owner had the jacks wired directly to battery along with inline fuses.  I was able to raise and lower the camper only once before the jacks started to slow down and stop.  I felt it was too much of a drain on the battery and thought perhaps if I wired them through the converter and plugged the camper into shore power it would continue to work.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Use to be logging onto RV.net was at least once a day, the new forum just really isnt the same. Its been a week.. so belated response but ours is wired direct to batteries.

From what I've read, high load direct to inverter isn't a good idea and should go thru battery. I never use jacks with out charge source, either truck running or plugged into shore. I also only use 2 jacks at a time , alternating front to back while maintaining front a bit higher.  (Of course older system w/manual switches so I couldn't run all 4 if I wanted ๐Ÿ™‚