Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TC travels, 2014 TR, Pg 904, 2015 TR pg 964

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Table of Contents
Our 2009 travels started here on March 1, 2009
The first pictures appeared at page 15. We couldn't get our data card to work with our new computer.

New Orleans and the Bayou country can be seen here.

Lake Charles, LA, Austin,Tx, and the LBJ Texas White House can be viewed here.

We enjoyed San Angelo TX even though we were sick part of the time... visit it with us here.

Our favorite winter hide-out...Phoenix,AZ and White horse Pass. Here.

Heading north in AZ, Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert Starts here.

Canyon de Chelly has wonderful cliff dwellings and a FREE campground.

Mesa Verde and the Lodge are breath taking in every way.

Sheepcamp, rv.net member, sheep rancher, and wildfire fighter invited us to visit.

Note: If you are scrolling from start to finish you'd see our Hawaii adventure here... I couldn't wait to post. It is really near the end of the thread and near the end of this page where it should be.

We traveled through Monument Valley and on to Page, AZ. after we left Sheepcamp and Cortiz, ColoradoTravel with us here.

We visited the Glen Canyon Dam and traveled to the North Rim of then Grand Canyon

Red Canyon Is a beautiful park on the way into Bryce Canyon.

Bryce Canyon is one of the best parks on the country... unique.

Zion NP is Grand... in scale and views. to '55"

The Reagan Presidental Library. My wife proclaims it to be the best Presidental Library.

Booking our vacation to Hawaii while were in Simi Valley.

Visiting Sacramento , boondocking, the capital, and more.

Golden gate bridge and San Francisco are always special.

Revisited 2007 boondocking visit to San Quentin Prison with Reddog1 and his wife.

At this point we interupted our truck camper travel and vacationed in Hawaii and a cruise of the islands.
Please come with us.

.....Atlantis Submarine... we went down to 127ft for more than 1 hour. Wow!

.....Ship, island travel Neat stuff

.....Movie tour For memories... this is a must.

.....La'ua no trip would be complete with out one.

Back on the mainland and heading home... from San Francisco to Tennessee... through CA, NV, UT, WY, NE, IA, KS, MO, IL, and KY. We posted pictures all along the way... some favorite spots are listed below.

... Following I-80 we stopped at Donner Pass... where a party heading west resorted to canabalism... they ate human tissue to survive...

40 mile desert

Bonneyville Salt Flats

Contintal Divide boondocking and sunsets

Land between the Lakes

We returned home on July 24, 2009
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The 2010 trip started in June. See page 123.

Home to Silversands!

Table of Contents

Page

Table of Contents for 2010

Page

123 Heading North East from TN wirh a stop at Hershey Park

124 A visit with Suds54 and Birthplace of the US Navy

125 Vermont

126 US/Canada border crossing, to visit Silversands and Dunes

130 Canada/US border crossing, southern Maine woods, Sarampus

134 Sugar Loaf Ski area

136 Baxter State Park south western area

140 my visit to the now closed Loring Air Force Base

147 Long Lake, Sinclair, Maine

149 Long Lake Lodge, site of the USAF Recreation Center 50 years ago

150 a photo tour of the inside of Long Lake Lodge and the Cabins

154 The fort at Fort Kent, Me

157 Loring Military Heritage Center (Museum)

160 US/Canada border crossing, Limestone, Me to New Brunswick

163 Grand Falls, New Brunswick

167 Saint Quentin, NB

170 Boondocking in the dense woods of northern NB

173 a visit to Campbellton, NB

177 a visit to Bathurst, NB... concert

179 Acadian Peninsula... Grande Anse Light House, Sea cliffs, historic village

187 the bridge at Miramichi, NB... we are just passing through

189 visit to home made camper

191 the bridge to Prince Edward Island

195 a visit with the Jhawk's, touring, sail boat, and Windows on the Water

205 Sally's Beach Provential Park

207 Ship Wreck Point Light House, Naufrage Harbor, Boondocking

217 Cape Egmont Light House, Harbor, boondocking

228 Bridge to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia

237 Arisaig Light House

239 Face in Rock

241 241 Cape George Point Light House

245 Cape Breto Island, canso causeway

251 Louisbourg

254 Louisbourg Light House

262 Marconi Trail

264 beach

269 Boondocking Sydney, NS

274 Broad Cove Camp Ground, Cape Breton Highlands NP

282 Bay St Lawrence

288 Skiline Trail, boondock

291 Chetticamp, NS

294 baddeck, Alexander G Bell museum

298 passing through Antigonish

302 Special boondock

We are on the road again after a year sidelined for doctors. They went to a convention or something, we escaped.

We left through Level Pebble (Flat Rock, AL) and have made it as far as the BassPro shop in Plattsburg, AL.

Hope to get to Mobile or even Biloxi, MS tomorrow. I was stationed in Biloxi at Kessler AFB 51 years ago.

We'll be heading west from there... california in a couple of months... home in August
We hope to see some of you over the next 5 months.

Don't tell anyone where we are:W

Started this thread at 707 nights... todays subject edit on July 24, 2009
adding more and more pictures finally.

To find your way in this post you might like a table of contents... me too!

After you click on a link you can scroll up and down... or go to "prev" or "next" at the top or botton of the page.

Follow our 2009 truck camper travels over a total of 141 nights ...out of the 848 nights that we have traveled in the last 6 years

================================================================
Inquirees have made me think a bit...

and to share 2012 SPRING LOOP

the general plan... miss the tornados.... be home before the first of June

We are heading south thru Jimmy Carter country to Tallassee... and he coast... getting away from the middle America E/W interstates and the tornado alleys.

We'll be heading west and then down toward Brownsville... then follow the border to NM... North as far as rocky Mtn NP and then head east thru Nashville toward the end of May... we have never been inside the State Capital.

I'll be posting some as we go...

PS... the camperport did great in the storms, no damage that I can see... best $3500 I spent last year. I highly recommend it.

Chet and Janet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare
9,761 REPLIES 9,761

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
t this point we were still looking for the inlisted quarters... driving any road that appears in front of us... still recognizing none.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/glasscrew/2010%20travels%202%20loring/loring%20afb/DSC01014.jpg

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
this was the high ranking officer area...

they had garages... big deal in a land with 12 feet of snow

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Oops! we are into the old officer housing area... it is rental... and kind of grubby. Fifty years ago they were well kept...

This turned out to be the only housing left from the old days... the inlisted housing and all of the inlisted barracks have been torn down.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Eugarps wrote:
Sleepy.

The tower looks familiar as does the big Arch Hanger. Is the runway still there and in use? We got a kick out of the pipe tunnels from the parking lots to the alert building. Of course Malmstrom didn't get quite as much snow as you guys did at Loring.

Bill

As the thread moves along... We'll take the TC down the edges of the flight line and post the pictures of it... and lots of other places... we saw bear, moose, and eagles around the flight line... there are very few fences.... almost no people where there were thousands.

Just looking: and lost.

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
Sleepy.

The tower looks familiar as does the big Arch Hanger. Is the runway still there and in use? I remember the we Malmstrom guys got a kick out of the pipe tunnels from the parking lots to the Alert Building. Of course Malmstrom didn't get quite as much snow as you guys did at Loring.

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Eugarps (Bill) we got caught with 'goodies" from a western state by Margerete Chase Smith, Maines Senator... she rained fire on us.

I'm just showing whatever is next as we are driving.

If the "tilt" of the pictures bothers you... it bothers us too. Janet is taking the pictures... here shoulder and arem are hurting so bad she was having trouble taking pictures.

We had help here... there was a sign that pointed the way to a small USAF base museum... it was closed... I marked it on my GPS to explore later.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of the worlds largest hangers are still there

... but enough of the buildings are gone to have me lost.

and there is the control tower...

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
Sleepy,

Your coverage of Loring AFB brought back memories. I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls, MT, a sister SAC base. We communicated quite often swapping prime Montana steaks for Maine lobsters. Both Officer's Clubs and NCO Clubs prospered under that arrangement. Don't ask how we got live lobster to MT. I can tell you F-106's go fast and that we had those to protect our missile silos. Training flights were fun. :W

Thanks for the memories and Merry Christmas!

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
They built and abandoned a new power house after I left.

the grass is still being cut

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to enter the base by the town of Limestone gate.. i was told that some company refurbishes military vehicles that are being brought back from over seas... i think these are left over from many years ago.

When I was stationed her this was a SAC base... with fighters to protect the B-52s and KC-135 tankers... and the US ARMY NIKE missles to ptotect us...

... well the Army was really here to protect the largest stock pile of nuclear weapons in the world out side of O.R., TN.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Jet

I had to make a copy of your picture to add to our 2010 Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont trip pictures. Each time we came across one of these signs, the wife wanted a picture but never had the camera ready - and I did not stop for one either - even though I offered to make a u-turn to get her a picture.

Keep your eyes peeled... you might see a sign like that with a moose in the road as we hang around this area!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped in Presque Isle (population 9250)... it is the big town in Aroostook County (Aroostook County may be bigger than some states)

Presque Isle has the WalMart and is the last chance for any serious shopping. It had a fighter base when I was there but it has been closed for a long time.

Caribou, ME is another 20 miles or so north, it appears to have pretty much dried up since the military left.

Just a little further... almost home (I liked it that much... I was assigned here in April of 1959 and stayed until the end of june in 1962.

The trailer parks that are usually around bases are still here... but no one has used them since 1994 when Loring was closed.

As we neared the air base gate I looked for signs of a resturant/bar called the "Out Post"... I worked there when I was off duty as a bar tender. Chubby Checker came out with a song and dance... "The Twist" and I was in the middle of it... we were packed every night... everyone could do the twist.

A "T" bone steak dinner with a baked potato, a veggie of the day, garlic bread, and a salad was $3.04 including taxes... 14 oz of draft beer went up to 25 cents when the band was playing starting at 9 pm.

Ah! love the memories.

Jumbo_Jet
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
moose, moose, everywhere... they we so low in mumbers that they were protected ... jail and $5000 for killing one 50 years ago

I had to make a copy of your picture to add to our 2010 Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont trip pictures. Each time we came across one of these signs, the wife wanted a picture but never had the camera ready - and I did not stop for one either - even though I offered to make a u-turn to get her a picture.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW - 2007 Lance 1055 - Torklift Tiedowns, Stableloads, Derringers, Pigtail - Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar - Rickson 19.5" wheels - Michelin XRV tires - Lance Cabover shocks, 2003 Keystone Laredo 29BH

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Americas Eagle is showing me the way back to the United States Loring Air Force Base at Limestone, Maine.

Today the Eagle is reminding me to get on with the trip report. Janets recovery is far enough along that I can have bigger blocks of time to work on it.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Clarryhill wrote:
Hi again, Sleepy. If you're from around here, that's "THE COUNTY", you are describing. A great piece of country, and a lot of good people.

I've considered 3 places home.

I was born in WV... was stationed in TX, MS, AL, ME... and Tennessee.

I think of WV as my home (31 years)

I have always identified with and think the same of northern Maine (just 3 years) and have maintained friendships all of these years

And have lived in Tennessee for 36 years.

All three places are made up of many good, friendly, people.