cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short box dually?

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know my sig is out of date. I bought a 2019 Arctic Fox 811 for short box. I've come to the conclusion it really needs a dually. Been looking at 2016 Rams. They have the Megacab and short box. They look just wrong!! Looks like the weight is too far back possibly causing handling problems? Any real world experience on here? Thanks.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
55 REPLIES 55

Bedlam
Host makes a triple slide short bed camper for those of you with the Mega DRW. If you want the most room without stretching your Mega to a long bed, this is the camper for it. My Arctic Fox 811 was too light for my DRW...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
I don’t think it’s any worse than having a 11 1/2 on an 8 ft bed.

It's not, unless you're comparing to Kaytegs 12' camper on his truck which apparently is notably "shorter" and has a smaller fuel tank than what Ford offers (from another thread).

But that may be because the Fords have the same rear overhang for both short and long bed, which keeps the center of gravity from being pushed forward on the short bed, combined with mysteriously less fuel capacity thus making a shortbed camper on a shortbed dually obviously worse than a longer camper on a longer truck!
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15, 3500 SRW, megacab, 4x4. Considering the dual version is just that a dually version of the SRW truck with stiffer rear springs, weight transfer is not as good as would be with a crew cab model, but the difference is really quit small. I have a Ascent S85RS 8’ 11” which is Ascents version of the Arctic Fox 811, and I can tell you that the front end will get about 200lbs lighter on the front with no water, fill it full of water and the weight on the front axle is the same as when truck has no camper. In essence the camper fully wet adds all the weight to the rear axle with net zero weight transfer to the front. With all that said, my mega cab handles just fine with no extra weight on the front axle. If you want a dually under your 811, the mega cab dually is the way to go! It may look odd, but **** it will handle your 811 with ease! I have thought about moving up to a long bed camper which would necessitate a longbed truck. However, if we stay with our camper or move to an 811 we will likely upgrade to a dually mega cab. We love the mega cab trucks for the added room in the interior and behind the seat storage. We have the Laramie Longhorn model and love love it!

This is an old old thread, but I'd like to talk with someone about an 811 on a mega cab... I have questions!!

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, we both always chuckle when we think back about her Death Valley experience with you! It's always fun figuring out what RV to get to suit your needs, whatever it is there is always compromises! I had our AF 811 on a Ram 3500 SRW for a year and then went to the dually and was glad I did! Good luck whatever way you go!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
GpnAZ wrote:
Hey DJ - Haven't heard from you for awhile but I don't check in here much either. I had the Ram 3500 SB dually with the AF 811 on it, took it to Alaska and back, worked great for us! It had the Cummins with Aisin transmission. We ended up getting a Host Mammoth last year so I traded my shortbed version in for a longbed with all the same options and color. I also have the factory rear air assist suspension which works great for me! If you have any questions you can always PM me also.

Hey Mark, thanks for the pics. This is getting more encouraging all the time. This is the heaviest camper I've had and I think it's too much for an SRW. Truthfully I'm on the fence right now between keeping the TC or getting a small C. Both have pros and cons.

That is a sweet rig you have now!!!

Hey, I know this pretty Lady!!

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I have 12' TC on my Supercab truck and it is still shorter combo.
Point is that with Megacab you need triple slide to have the same floor-space what single single slide and LB.
Nothing wrong with the idea, but terrible costly as of today.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t think it’s any worse than having a 11 1/2 on an 8 ft bed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey DJ - Haven't heard from you for awhile but I don't check in here much either. I had the Ram 3500 SB dually with the AF 811 on it, took it to Alaska and back, worked great for us! It had the Cummins with Aisin transmission. We ended up getting a Host Mammoth last year so I traded my shortbed version in for a longbed with all the same options and color. I also have the factory rear air assist suspension which works great for me! If you have any questions you can always PM me also.

(2) pics of the 2016' Ram with AF 811

Picture of our new 2018' Ram with Host Mammoth
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MikeinSA wrote:
Here you go:

Thanks so much for posting the photos. Sure looks weird perched on that short bed!! But with the amount of miles you have taken it and handles OK then I am OK with that. How long of a stinger would I need to tow a boat?

MikeinSA
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go:

2016 Arctic Fox 811
2016 Ram 3500, Cummins/Aisin, Mega Cab, SB, DRW

I am responding to an old thread... maybe you are still out there with your SB and 811.  We just got a used pair then someone said Id better beware of center of gravity with the mega cab!!   Am I going to have to worry about this?

Center of gravity isn't near as critical as you think it is. 1lb to heavy, 1" too far back, is not going to matter.

Your truck's COG range is also much wider than you think it is. Read your truck's camper loading information carefully. The picture may show that the COG range begins just in front of the rear fender well and ends just behind it, BUT don't go by the picture as it's not to scale.

What you should find is that the COG range covers most if not the entire length of the truck bed. I haven't checked my current truck but all the previous trucks I've had are like this. As long as the camper weight is within the rated capacity, the COG can be anywhere in the bed without any undue handling issues.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

^Alot of truth there. 
or in other words, that truck with the right suspension mods hauls fine on a srw mega cab. On a Mega dually, it’ll be like a med size camper on a big Dooley. Will haul like it’s not even there (figuratively) and may not need ANY suspension mods, although I suspect one might want to up the initial spring rate just a touch to feel “perfect.” 

Zero worry.  Hauled a AF 860, same camper older model number, on a 2500 Mega cab for years. Cross country, all over Alaska etc. 

the camper even loaded to the gills takes a smidge off the front end weight. Never weighed it but I’d hazard a guess that the front axle was still heavier than an empty truck with a gasser engine. 
mega cab dually is basically the ultimate shortbed setup for a heavy camper.