cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our custom true flatbed truck camper build thread

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I am going to collect random thoughts and progress pictures and put them here in a thread.

Goal: Construct a true flatbed camper with cabover, no slideouts but full 8 foot floor width inside. This will mount on a 2006 Isuzu NRR truck with a GVWR of 19,500 pounds and a current dry weight of 8700 pounds. The truck has a 20 foot flatbed that is 8 feet wide. The camper will take up 11 feet of the flatbed and the remaining area will be home to a future garage for our toys. We will install a hitch so we can pull our 17 foot Montgomery sailboat (trailer + boat is about 2200 pounds). The camper and garage will be removeable so the flatbed can be used for other purposes, or in case the truck needs extensive shop repairs down the road. Or if we are in Alaska and want to go pick up 3 cords of firewood or something 🙂

Here is a picture of the truck with some important dimensions:

518 REPLIES 518

kereams
Explorer
Explorer
Your work continues to impress me and make me jealous! Great job. Love seeing the updates.
*2011 F350 SRW CC/LB/PSD - Mods: Custom overload springs with custom early engagement blocks~Firestone Airbags~Hellwig Big Wig Rear Sway~Rancho RS9000XL~Bilstein Steering Damper~19.5" Hankook DH01'a on steel wheels.
*2012 Chalet Ascent S95R Camper

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Managed to get the 0.063" aluminum skin on the garage pod, also the plywood roof and the 0.040" aluminum continuous roof coil in place.

Still need to make the ramp door and cut out the opening in the aluminum for the teardrop trailer type door (you can see the place for it in the 2nd picture).

Work on the main camper has stopped for now until we get the garage pod somewhat finished and painted, but we did get the floor tile, some cabinetry, and sofa installed. I will get some pictures of that up soon.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
You need a tommy -lift! Is it aluminum? Looks good!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
A weekend of tack welding and we managed to get the full frame of the garage pod together (sans ramp door).

It is hard to glean a lot of information from the pictures because of the cramped build space, but there are some interesting features.

1) We of course went with the same socketed quick connect system as we did in the living pod so the same jacks can be used to load/offload either pod.

2) We decided to weld in shelves on each side of the garage that hang down 2 feet and extend for almost 18 inches. This will provide a ton of storage space for gear and tools. It also adds strength to the walls and roof system to have the shelves part of the welded frame.

3) In a similar manner, we welded in a workbench across the entire back wall (8 feet long, 2 feet deep). This will provide a good surface for various future projects and maybe a small cnc mill/lathe.

4) In order to have some access to the pod without opening the ramp door, we added a small door meant for teardrop trailers (36" high) on the passenger side. It does have the advantage of fitting under the shelf system.

It should make a very useful storage garage for our motorcycles and gear and also provide a good area for metal/woodworking while on the road.

Next job is fully welding all of the joints, then the process of installing the aluminum skin and roof.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
keep us posted on your other doings in the TC too...this is interesting. THX for your efforts to post.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoy the work you are doing to make it your own.
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Started construction Friday on the garage pod!

I had forgotten how quick you can get a structure formed with steel after the pain of working with wood. Tack, tack, 20 seconds later you need a sledgehammer to break it apart.

Here in about a day we went from a pile of steel to a fully tack welded base frame for the garage pod, completely level and diagonals matching to within 1/64".

We decided to make the garage pod 10 feet long instead of 11 feet. This way it will only overhang the flatbed by 1 foot which should be visually and structurally reasonable (and save weight). It is going to have a full ramp rear door and a passenger side teardrop trailer type mini door (for occasional access when you don't want to lower the ramp). We are also making the garage pod 1 foot shorter in height than the camper pod and will have a roof rack for kayaks and such on the garage pod.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
When do we get to see the battery box and solar panel set up?......as if you haven't been busy with the build so far....LOL!

I still have to build the solar panel mounting frame. I have been concentrating on the inside electrical, which includes fitting the Magnum MSH4024M inverter/charger, Midnite Classic 150 MPPT solar charge controller, and all of the required breakers, switches and fuses in a space no bigger than a 19 inch TV. It is tight but looks good. For our use the Magnum doesn't even get warm or have the fan come on (during 40 amp absorption charging the transformer temp never got above 110F and during a 30 min run of the air conditioner the FETs never got above 90F). I will of course post pics when I am done.

pjay9 wrote:

Wiil you build the box so the gen can be run in the box?

Yes, that is the plan. We may make a slide out device that holds the gen in the box so to have easy access for cranking/oil change. I just need to source some slides that can handle grit and grime.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Jfet wrote:
I think they bent that safety bar when backing up to a loading dock, but who knows?

We did put boxes on the other side but there is a missing tooth where we needed a slightly different type of box for the propane storage (and generator storage). I will custom make that box. We plan to have it hold the EU2000i plus 4 standard propane cylinders (for easy exchange when there are no fillup locations).

Wiil you build the box so the gen can be run in the box?

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
When do we get to see the battery box and solar panel set up?......as if you haven't been busy with the build so far....LOL!
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Interesting jack holder. I suppose you add a strap to hold them down. Some closed cell foam might be a good addition for the rest.

Thanks, yes, exactly, a strap to hold them down. I do have some foam on each end and expanded the jacks to contact the foam and keep them from sliding back and forth in the slots (wife's idea).

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
I think they bent that safety bar when backing up to a loading dock, but who knows?

We did put boxes on the other side but there is a missing tooth where we needed a slightly different type of box for the propane storage (and generator storage). I will custom make that box. We plan to have it hold the EU2000i plus 4 standard propane cylinders (for easy exchange when there are no fillup locations).

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Jfet wrote:
Well, we decided a 19,000 pound vehicle pulling a sailboat wasn't going to be doing a lot of jeep road rock climbing.

The ground clearance isn't as bad as it looks in the photo. The boxes are 2 inches higher than the muffler and at least 4 inches higher than the rear diff. The exit angle wasn't affected much either by the rear boxes since we have that safety bar (plus plan to add a trailer hitch back there).
As always, never enough pictures on your project. Enjoy the progress.

I agree with the possibility of off-roading. But I would take note the bend in the right end of your safety bar. Those don’t bend like that with just a onetime occurrence. Obviously there is some contact and most likely exiting out of drives, such as fueling stations. We use to put skid bars/wheels on the outside corner of our race trailers, due to the long extension behind the rear axle. I suspect a well-placed skid bar, or wheel, placed next to the back corner of the cabinet will save them from damage. (Like a picture frame around the opening of the cabinet).

From the photo, it appears you only put photos on the one side. Are you planning on putting a matching set on the opposite side?

Thanks.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
kereams wrote:
Looks great! From the pictures it looks like it really killed your ground clearance though. Curious your experiences regarding clearance as you get time on it.

Well, we decided a 19,000 pound vehicle pulling a sailboat wasn't going to be doing a lot of jeep road rock climbing.

The ground clearance isn't as bad as it looks in the photo. The boxes are 2 inches higher than the muffler and at least 4 inches higher than the rear diff. The exit angle wasn't affected much either by the rear boxes since we have that safety bar (plus plan to add a trailer hitch back there).

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting jack holder. I suppose you add a strap to hold them down. Some closed cell foam might be a good addition for the rest.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member