cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needed the surge protector last night

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II

I always keep my camper ready to roll when I'm home.  Truck fueled, fridge stocked, fresh tank filled and shore line plugged in.  I do it for spur of the moment trips and the fact that I live in earthquake country.

One thin I had been thinking about was keeping my Progressive Industrie EMS Tk-30 inline from the house to the camper.

Last night we had a city wide power outage. I went out and switched the fridge to propane from AC and I looked at the shoreline and thought  "I better put the EMS on now"   I'm glad I did Power came back on for a few seconds then went back on then went off multiple times in a row.  before it finally stayed on.  It was never on long enough for the EMS unite to analyze and send power to the camper. No way to tell if the surges would have damaged the camper or not but I had a nice piece of mind sleeping.  I think I am going to leave it hooked up that way from now on.TK-30 EMS.jpg

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
4 REPLIES 4

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad

I use the same one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbAgQViYUjw

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad

Last night during TV time at home, power flickered out twice.  Each time it came right back, with instructions on the TV screen for what to do to reconnect.  After that, everything worked well until bedtime, when the CPAP refused to turn on.  I switched it to its 12V adapter cord and plugged it into my new Jackery and had  restful night.  This morning, I tested the CPAP on its regular AC cord to see if there was something wrong with that cord or the wall plug, but there were no issues and it came right on.  Maybe that outlet needed the night off? 

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

Good Job Buzzcut1/Drew.  I bought my Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X a couple years ago after seeing your EMS and asking you a few questions about it.  I also leave my camper plugged in while at home and use the EMS all the time.  The cool thing about it, is that it will store power errors in the memory, and you can see what happened (low voltage brown out, high voltage spikes, ect.) until you clear the memory as a Previous Error code.  I found this out after researching a code I saw while walking by the power cord to the camper (PE4 vs E0) which was a low voltage that has since been corrected.

IMG_4067.jpg 

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

360Scout
Explorer II
Explorer II

That was a good catch just in time. I think it would be a good idea for me to do the same because you never know when it could happen. 

2020 Ford F350 4X4 CC SB 7.3 / 445cid
2015 Northstar Laredo