cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving an abandoned truck camper.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pretty interesting the lengths that they had to go to to recover an abandoned squatter's truck camper from deep in the woods.

https://youtu.be/G7Q0V4KQam8

Skidsteer, car hauler, and a 6x6 military rotator crane.

Oh and before you say why didn't they use a truck, did you see a truck anywhere? This particular tow guy doesn't have any pickup trucks capable of handling this camper. Would you volunteer your diesel dually to run up into those woods to retrieve that camper?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
18 REPLIES 18

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Problem is not looking thru Caseys you tube channel and see how he handles a customers vehicle/structure that can't be bent or scratched.
He has more Oregon clean up you tubes to watch hundreds of volunteers and see the huge mess these types of slugs have left Oregon forests. These folks are on there own time and equipment helping out.
Some one jumped to the wrong conclusion about wrong methods.

Well if heโ€™s done โ€œhundreds of cleanupsโ€ (I canโ€™t sit and watch YooToob vids like some of yโ€™all) and is truly doing it on his own dime then why did he spend all that money bringing a 10 wheeler rollback, a big trailer, skid steer and his wooly booger โ€œrotator?โ€ Makes no sense or centsโ€ฆ.
Itโ€™s pretty obvious they unloaded that thing originally right off the back of a pickup truck, and didnโ€™t even really lower it down.

Iโ€™m sure heโ€™s a nice guy I suppose. But in the immortal words of LGB, Cโ€™mon manโ€ฆ.

Idk, maybe yโ€™all got raises or promotions when you spent 3x the money needed to accomplish the same thing at work. Or at home for that fact. But I learned a long time ago that Iโ€™d get yelled at if I didnโ€™t attempt at least to do something the most economical way that was is feasible.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I watch quite a bit of Casey's channel. Most times the abandoned campers are held for a time, title search ran, and offered for auction. If they where making no effort to preserve the value he could use the skidsteer to compact and load camper onto the rollback, strap it down, have room to haul loader same trip.

In this case they were saving themselves work, not trying to preserve value. If he squashed that thing it would pop like a party favor, spreading junk and debris all over. Then they'd have a mess to clean up.

If they were interested in preserving value they would have lifted by the jack mounting points, not by a sling under the cabover.

There is no way that camper is going anywhere but a landfill.

Well, I have used a Bobcat to teardown, then load a 3 bedroom house into end-dump trailers, including the slab. Watched Casey on his loader in other videos, he has enough skill to clean up setting down.
If the crane was not there, not wanting to push his site, likely would of used planks and rollers to load.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
I watch quite a bit of Casey's channel. Most times the abandoned campers are held for a time, title search ran, and offered for auction. If they where making no effort to preserve the value he could use the skidsteer to compact and load camper onto the rollback, strap it down, have room to haul loader same trip.

In this case they were saving themselves work, not trying to preserve value. If he squashed that thing it would pop like a party favor, spreading junk and debris all over. Then they'd have a mess to clean up.

If they were interested in preserving value they would have lifted by the jack mounting points, not by a sling under the cabover.

There is no way that camper is going anywhere but a landfill.

BTW I watch quite a bit of Casey's channel too, and I NEVER got the impression that any of these wrecks were going anywhere but the crusher once the legal stuff had been taken care of. Turning around and selling them at auction defeats the purpose, because they'll just end up back out n the woods again.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
I think itโ€™s fantastic that these people use their free time to clean up after the slobs of this world. I would volunteer if it was in my backyard.

Itโ€™s not that altruistic. Itโ€™s business development.

But is the business bad? I have watched Casey do recoveries that I know from experience would take over a hour. Back in the '80s the local company would charge at least $75 for that work, if didn't have to get off road. When the "customer" asks for bill, on camera, they are told to pick a charity, donate what think worth. He states on YouTube, that he makes enough from YouTube. I bet if somebody had been asked to pay after that statement there would be word of it.
I watched the complete video that Casey posted. At the end they where discussing getting 2 more.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I applaud the efforts that these people make to correct other's transgressions. I would never say different.

As you say, good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.............

My apologies if I have offended you. That was not my intention, but I stand by my comments.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is not looking thru Caseys you tube channel and see how he handles a customers vehicle/structure that can't be bent or scratched.
He has more Oregon clean up you tubes to watch hundreds of volunteers and see the huge mess these types of slugs have left Oregon forests. These folks are on there own time and equipment helping out.
Some one jumped to the wrong conclusion about wrong methods.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
ssthrd wrote:
Obviously the condition of the camper was not a concern.

You missed the whole part about it being an ABANDONED camper. It's junk, and its ultimate destination is the landfill.

Condition is not a concern whatsoever. There is no saving it.

I DID get that message--thanks. YOU missed my point about my comments about their methods. Based on my almost 40 years of experience in heavy construction, (with the last 15 years as a project manager) I have seen the right way and the wrong way to accomplish many and varied challenges.

I only tried to point out that if they were only trying to drag the thing out of the woods to a place where someone else could deal with it, no problem. However, if they were going to transport it down the highway somewhere, there were things that they may want to do differently.

Problem for both of us is that based on a YouTube video clip, neither of us has a clue about what the real situation is.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
They sure made a project out of that. Must not have much work.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Geo*Boy wrote:
I think itโ€™s fantastic that these people use their free time to clean up after the slobs of this world. I would volunteer if it was in my backyard.

Itโ€™s not that altruistic. Itโ€™s business development.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cool old boom truck though.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
We have done similar clean ups and have found the easiest is a side by side with a small trailer and a couple guys cutting with sawzalls. It is amazing how quickly a camper comes apart. Most that are abandoned have been pretty well scavenged and it is basically just the skin and structure and a few cabinets.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
ssthrd wrote:
Obviously the condition of the camper was not a concern.

You missed the whole part about it being an ABANDONED camper. It's junk, and its ultimate destination is the landfill.

Condition is not a concern whatsoever. There is no saving it.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
joerg68 wrote:
I just hope someone salvaged those Atwood jacks.

Doubt it. They got tossed in the back of the camper and they'll go to the landfill with the rest of it.