cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Make line on driveway for camper loading?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Although I've done it for years, I'm trying to simplify loading my camper by myself in my old age. Recently I laid a string along the tires before offloading and that definitely helped when loading again. However, the string didn't last in wet weather. So, I'm thinking about a long "thingee" (plastic/wood/tape??) I could attach to the asphalt with glue or screws. Distance between tires is about 14 ft. BTW, don't want to paint the line or install a laser system.

Thanks for any ideas.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
20 REPLIES 20

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

In my case you're not squeaking through at an angle. If you fit, you're straight.

Even if I adjust the mirror to see the tires, I still don't see what having the line accomplishes. You need a line to sight against a line. A tire is just a point.

Yes, if at angle that squeak will turn into a crash pretty quick.
I park my trailer in the same spot every time I get home. I assume most people want to drop camper in same spot each time. If as you pull out, mark the path your left outside tire takes for say 10 feet past the point you clear the camper you have that 10 feet to get tire following that line as you go under camper. Just be sure camper is up high enough, and it should be a piece of chicken

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
It's obvious that we all have different ideas that work for us depending on our trucks and campers characteristics. My GM truck box tapers and is narrower in the rear, so trying to back in using my mirrors and following the box position has proved to be futile for me. The line in the center of the camper and on the box floor was my best bet, but that only worked for the first foot or so where I could see into the box. A few years ago I invested in a Camper Cradle, it has been awesome. I can now just back in with a rubber roller as a guide and perfectly centered all the way in. A HappiJac front support bar with centering guides centers and holds the front perfectly centered also. I never have to adjust my Fastguns, and my side mirror vision is the same every time.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a center mark on the lower front of the camper floor and a matching mark on the tailgate side of the truck bed (the tail gateis removed. We put it there with a permanent marker and periodically remark it when it fades too much.

Bought a piece of pvc "veranda/trex" porch decking, cut in half to make two pieces, that are used as spacers between the wheel wells. These boards run from the front of the truck bed all the way back to just in front of the rear truck bed pillars. They are slick enough that the camper box will slide down one or the other with little friction. There is about 1/2 inch space on each side between the wheel well + spacer boards and the camper box sides.

I aim for matching up the center marks and the boards tend to push the camper box straight. I do have to watch the grey water tank that is mounted under the galley side so that the top edge of the truck bed doesn't get too close.

It's all a tight fit. I usually take up to 3 tries to get lined up correctly. I normally have my daughter guide me back (it's her camper) but I have loaded it by myself. It's no more difficult than it was to get the popup hitch lined up. If anything, it's easier.

There are also a couple boards laying across the front of the truck bed so the camper box will slide up and touch when it is in far enough. This is because the Stabile Lift has to line up with the saddle brackets that are underneath the truck.

Atchafalaya_man
Explorer
Explorer
I used some 'Mule Tape' or 'Pulling Tape' because it's flat and does not stretch or roll/slide like round rope or string.

You have to determine exactly WHERE to position the tape under the camper relative to where your tire will pass and backing is a one-pass-move most times.

https://www.amazon.com/2500-tensile-Polyester-Pull-Webbing/dp/B07X8DKY96/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=mule+tape&qid=1699650475&sr=8-8

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also in the process of doing a driveway. I've already ordered curb ramps (found useful info and reviews here https://curbrampreviews.com/, maybe this source will be useful for someone else) and now I'm waiting for the contractors to come and pave the driveway. Thanks for the helpful info and tips!

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
How is the result? Do you mind sharing? Need to do a driveway myself, need some inspiration.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
I'm not seeing how a line on the ground will help. Can't even see the ground from the driver's seat, and even if I could, what would I line up against?

Everyone's situation is different to a degree. In my case if I squeak between the jack feet with my tires, I'm lined up.

Most vehicles I have driven have mirror adjusted so can see sidewall of rear tires.
Squeak between jacks at wrong angle could have issues. I can see how something to line up on so going straight at start of squeak would help.

In my case you're not squeaking through at an angle. If you fit, you're straight.

Even if I adjust the mirror to see the tires, I still don't see what having the line accomplishes. You need a line to sight against a line. A tire is just a point.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I ended up doing. After measuring the inside width of my tail gate opening I then centered two nylon straps on my camper placed at the same width -1".

Then using one (or both) mirrors - I aim one of the trucks bed rails just to the outside of one of the straps.

It works every time as long as you can see one of the ends of your bed rails in your mirror(s).

- Mark0.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, gotta be more than "50 ways to" load your camper--lol!

We attach strings between the front/rear jack legs on each side, using wide painter's tape--takes about a min. As we backup, we use the ends of all four torklift extensions, the strings, and jack legs as guides. Since this is a 4-point approach, it's makes it easier to get an accurate parallel and side-to-side alignment between the truck and camper. Usually 1 or 2 corrections and we're in. Works great for us! YMMV.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
I'm not seeing how a line on the ground will help. Can't even see the ground from the driver's seat, and even if I could, what would I line up against?

Everyone's situation is different to a degree. In my case if I squeak between the jack feet with my tires, I'm lined up.

Most vehicles I have driven have mirror adjusted so can see sidewall of rear tires.
Squeak between jacks at wrong angle could have issues. I can see how something to line up on so going straight at start of squeak would help.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. My biggest problem is being parallel with the camper. So I think some sort of line along the driver side tires would work best for me. It would give me both parallel and left-right guidance. However, any other ideas are welcome. Will let you know what I come up.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. We just had a 44x26 concrete floor poured in our pole barn and have been thinking on how to easily load and unload camper. Me, the wife, backs truck up while he, hubby, directs which can lead to some discussion! We have a slight incline which adds to it but if I can be 1/2" between the hips of the dually then I am good. Getting the thing squared has been my problem. Thanks Again....
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I do use a line on my 5th wheel parking though, but that's just to position it so I have the proper space on both sides when it's parked for putting slides out and such"
Worked with man that kept his Mack in garage. He enlarged the door, and cut floor out of a bird house, then used 2 chains to hang it from the ceiling. When coming home, put Bulldog in his house so can open bathroom door, use workbench, and door to house.