cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It looks like my truck camper days are over.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

It appears that the water heater is what started the fire. I am thrilled that the entire camper didn't go up in flames.

Monday morning coming home from work I either had a mini stroke of some kind of seizure. I drove about 15 miles and woke up with my camper laying on its side next to my truck and the front wheels of my truck in the creek.

Here's where my camper was laying.

And here's where my truck was. I don't remember any of it.

Back in Jan during routine scans my brain MRI showed some new cancer, they think swelling from the cancer may have been what caused my problem.

I have appointments with my radiation oncologist and my neurologist on Tuesday to discuses the plan.

I am very grateful that I not seriously injured. Grateful that I went off the road where I did. Grateful to still be here.

I doubt that I will replace the truck or the camper. I might start looking for an "vintage" TT to tow behind my 1976 F-250.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
49 REPLIES 49

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. Good luck with it.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I bought a TT to replace the camper I totaled. This was not what I was
looking for. I was looking at newer 19' TTs. My daughter had mentioned
to one of her HS friends that I was looking and he sent me a link to
this one, it belonged to one of his good friends.

I looked at the pictures and told him I was 99% sure I was going to
buy it but has to see it in person first. It was 200 miles from where
I live.

The morning I was goin to go look at it I changed my mind and called
him to let him know. A few minutes later he text me and said If I
wanted it he's knock off another $100, it was too good to pas up.
That made $1500 less than he was asking.

I went up last Saturday to look at and bought it. Wednesday a good
friend took my to SLC and towed it home for me. My old truck isn't
quite ready to start towing.

I got all my new bedding and towels in yesterday and still working on getting it ready to go camping.

I was not looking for another Jayco TT. I find it pretty funny that's
what I ended up with.

I live in a Jayco TT that's just one year older than the one I just bought.

This is the one I live in.

And this is the one I just bought.

I do have the important stuff loaded and ready. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
good to see you are doing well. I'm having cochlear implant surgery in a couple of weeks and it is considered brain surgery and I'm very nervous. Seeing you are well is making me less nervous. Good luck to you and continued happy trails.

I've been able to teach myself to look past the procedures and think more about how much better things will be afterwards.

I've been killing stage 4 cancer for over 11 years. Countless treatments, clinical trials, radiation treatments and surgeries.

I always look forward to the day after that the day or the day before.

I'm sure that you will be another winner.
Kenny

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
good to see you are doing well. I'm having cochlear implant surgery in a couple of weeks and it is considered brain surgery and I'm very nervous. Seeing you are well is making me less nervous. Good luck to you and continued happy trails.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I thought I had better check in
I got the stitches out a week ago and everything seams be be healing great. Doctors happy and I feel great.

I wont be replacing the truck or the camper.
I will start looking for another nice older "vintage" TT to fix up like the one i did years ago.

I bought this 1976 Ford F-250 4x4 back in November 2021 and I've been fixing it up ever since.

I was very fortunate to find a complete rebuilt 1966 Mercury Marauder 410 4V engine. Mercury took a 428 crankshaft and put it in a 390 stroking the 390 out to a 410 and only produced them for two years - 1966 & 1967.

It was rebuilt back in 1972. The rebuilder used domed pistons to retain the factory 10.5:1 compression and bored it 0.030" making it 416 cu in and installed an RV cam. It was never started until I fired it up back in July last year.

Since then I've assed a set of Hedman Hedders, dual exhaust, an Edelbrock Performer intake and a Holley mechanical secondary carburetor.

It shouldn't have any problems towing a 19-21 ft TT.
Kenny

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I read the schedule, I know some of you guys are friends with Specta. Just curious if anyone heard anything?

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers for a speedy recovery.

(I see you were able to salvage some booze from the wreck. When this settles out have yourself a drink!) ๐Ÿ™‚

- Mark0.

Paul_V1
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers for you and family for a speedy recovery.
2001 GMC Crewcab Duramax 2500HD 4x4
2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5
1997 Jeep Wrangler

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Best of luck and wishing a speedy recovery. at least they found the issue quickly and are moving on it.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Sending our heartfelt prayers Kenny. Please keep us updated, your truck camper community is pulling for you!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Prayers that ALL goes as planned ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your heart felt comments.
Sorry its taken me soo long to get back but I've had a pretty busy week.

My daughter and I went down Sunday and got my belonging out of my truck and camper. I had no idea I had packed soo much junk in there. :R
I left a lot behind that was either water or fire damaged.

I spent yesterday at The Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City with my daughter and future SIL from Medford, OR. For some reason she worries about her dad.
My neurologist believes I had a seizure caused by pressure from the edema surrounding the cancer that was discovered in my brain during a routine MRI back on Jan 25th.

Yesterday was another day overwhelmed with love and gratitude.
I have thee 3 most amazing Doctors.
Dr Jeff Russell, my oncologist.
Dr Don Cannon, my radiation oncologist.
And Dr Randy Jensen, my neurosurgeon.
Today's decisions were made by the pinacol of medical care.
Wed 3/8/23, 2:30 Brain MRI
Thurs 3/9/23, surgery - remove cancer from my brain.
Randy will use today's MRI to guide him in resecting the cancer. He will remove about a 3" circle of my skull to gain access to the cancer, surgically remove it and then do a second MRI prior to closure to verify that he got all of the cancer.
1st night in the ICU, 2nd & 3rd night in a regular room for observation.
He said that when he's happy and releases me that I can get into my car and drive back home.

I'll most likely stay an extra night with my best friend before heading back home.

They found the problem and the solution.
Jeff said he'll put me back on immunotherapies for another year to help clean up any remains.
Life is grand. Such an amazing day being surrounded by such amazing Angels.
Kenny

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
Sir,
You, sir are a fixture on this forum and have helped and entertained many over the years. I wish you the very best from this point in your life journey. I think all of us would be very interested, if you care to share, your progress forward. Even though we may have never met personally we all consider you our friend and a "TC colleague", sincerely wishing you all the best.
- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
cptqueeg wrote:
I concur with all the sentiments that have been expressed already. Sure glad you're here w us.

Me too!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I concur with all the sentiments that have been expressed already. Sure glad you're here w us.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell