Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing with your truck camper

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all.
I am preparing a Jeep to flat tow out west this winter. I have it all ready to go except I can not decided on a portable brake controller. Looking seriously at the Blue Ox but would greatly appreciate hearing other peoples opinions on this subject.
Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Killingsworth wrote:
Mine is the same as Mike/Kellie NSA tow bar and surge brake system. Works great. I think the toughest test for this set up for us was a trip on CA 20 from Willits to Ft Bragg, if you have ever been on that road, you know it has its share of ups and down hills and twisty curves. For lights for my jeep I went with the "Hopkins" towing light wiring kit for towed vehicles. Works perfect no problems whats so ever.Its been working perfectly for the paast 3 years.
2006 f 350, 2002 Lance 1130, flat towing TJ

There's not a straight line on that road.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Killingsworth
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is the same as Mike/Kellie NSA tow bar and surge brake system. Works great. I think the toughest test for this set up for us was a trip on CA 20 from Willits to Ft Bragg, if you have ever been on that road, you know it has its share of ups and down hills and twisty curves. For lights for my jeep I went with the "Hopkins" towing light wiring kit for towed vehicles. Works perfect no problems whats so ever.Its been working perfectly for the paast 3 years.
2006 f 350, 2002 Lance 1130, flat towing TJ

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A non collapsed tow bar will not prevent the two vehicles colliding giving the right conditions.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
Think about what your tow bar can handle if you don't use a braking system. Some will not handle the deceleration of a 5k lb Jeep without pretzeling and letting the Jeep go into your camper.

I can't imagine any modern manufacturer would make a tow bar that collapses just because the toad's brakes didn't activate. That's a HUGE liability risk.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
Think about what your tow bar can handle if you don't use a braking system. Some will not handle the deceleration of a 5k lb Jeep without pretzeling and letting the Jeep go into your camper.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
In the US you have to meet the towing laws from every state you travel in regardless of your resident state. And there are 50 states. And is a toad a trailer with regards to towing?

Except no one official really cares, including the cops unless youโ€™re unlucky enough to get some overzealous donut destroyer on your 6.
With regards to weight, most states are at/around 3klbs before trailer brakes are required by law.
Again, not worth overthinking. Install brakes if you want or need them. Itโ€™s ultimately up to the owner to be informed of what theyโ€™re doing and capable of handling their vehicle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the US you have to meet the towing laws from every state you travel in regardless of your resident state. And there are 50 states. And is a toad a trailer with regards to towing?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BCwestcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I flat tow a Suzuki Vitara 2 door soft top without any brake system behind my truck and camper.
In Canada I am legally permitted to tow up to 1400KG (3086 pounds) without brakes on the towed vehicle (trailer)

There are rules however on how much the tow vehicle must weight vs. towed vehicle weight.

Check how much your jeep weighs and your local laws as to what the trailer weight can be before you must have brakes.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto on Ready Brake. Simple and functional. Works great with our Rubicon.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Yes to ReadyBrake... Over 6,000 miles towing over 15 years.. Works great.
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Check out the "Dinghy Towing" section on this forum. You will probably get a lot more information, since there's a lot more activity about flat towing there than there is here in the truck camper forum.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Barry_W
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfman I have the blue ox towbar and breaking assist. I tow a two door wrangler sport behind my f350 dually and host cascade. Hitching is made easy with the telescoping hitch bars. Breaking system is simple and easy to set up. I am pleased so far with the blue ox tow system. Also, I replaced my wired tow lights with wireless and wished I had sooner. Barry
2006 F350 4x4 DRW CREW CAB 6.0

SNOWRIVER 9'6" DINETTE ALL WEATHER PACKAGE

FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RANCHO 9000X SHOCKS

HONDA EU2000

1000 WATT INVERTER

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found magnetic lights on e-trailer often used with recovery vehicles to avoid stringing wire and lights over a towed vehicle. They're battery operated and receive brake, turn and running lights via a plug inserted in your 7-way. I have a metal cargo basket above my spare tire (2017 2 door Rubicon) and use additional velcro straps to hold them in place. 6 double A batteries in each fixture made it through our 6 week road trip last summer.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for ready brake. That's what I use.
I had an issue with my tow bar last year half way through a trip, and they overnighted me a replacement part under warranty coverage, free of charge. The hardest part was figuring out where I could have them ship the part to because I was literally in the middle of nowhere.
I have my ready brake paired with the roadmaster baseplate, and the additional crossbar on the front of my jeep, which is needed for extra support when the jeep surges towards the truck when you step on the brake.