cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autosocks

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad

I have new 3 peak mountain snowflake AT tires on my four wheel drive F350, and am travelling to Utah the end of December. I carry a set of cable chains I've never used, and am considering picking up some Autosocks. My reasoning is they are faster to deploy and remove than the cables, and in a real pinch I could have something on all four. I question whether the socks will improve traction much over the 3pms tires. Anyone have experience to share? Thanks.

'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4
23 REPLIES 23

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad

An update. I travelled to and from Utah with both the socks and the chains stored. Some areas were slow with vehicles that had slid off the road, but our traction was good at the slower speeds. The slowest part was not due to traction, but with visibility. A white out in the dark limited us to 20 mph going up one pass. This was with low beams and fogs on, and the headlight glare off the falling snow was blinding. I sometimes wonder about the move away from sealed beams to the style over function we apparently get today. Maybe I'll put the headlights on a switch so I can travel with DRLs and fogs only when conditions dictate.

@stevenal wrote:

Maybe I'll put the headlights on a switch so I can travel with DRLs and fogs only when conditions dictate.

don't need to do that, you have a newer ford like me, so just download auto enginuity and ge the adaptor off amazon and go into your computer and change your daytime running lights to your park lights.  that way you don't have the wear and tear on your expensive headlights.  as for running the driving lights with out the headlight I would have to see if you can engage them in the park light setting if you can thats all you need to do, if not you might need a switch to cut out your headlights but I suspect that will bring up a check light and warning.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I wouldn’t get overly ambitious and try cutting into the lights circuit. Not like the old days. Just put some billybadass stand alone fog lights on it if you need more low visibility driving light. Will be orders of magnitude better and won’t mess up anything else. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

I saw a slick light setup that slipped into a 2" receiver and used quick disconnect power for a winch along with a wireless remote.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

No need for a switch unless your truck is different than every other truck of the last 20ish years. Turn your lights to parking lights only and you can use the oe driving lights without the headlights on. 
Glad you didn’t need the arsenal of traction devices. 

@Grit_dog wrote:

No need for a switch unless your truck is different than every other truck of the last 20ish years. Turn your lights to parking lights only and you can use the oe driving lights without the headlights on. 

Thanks, I confirmed this last night. No way to get the DRLs on as I suggested, but I can have parking lights and fogs on together. I'll keep this in mind for the next whiteout in the dark. 

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

one thing to note, from what I understand autosocks are not a permanant option, but rather a one or two time use thing depending how long you run on them.  chains are multiple use but more bulky.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

You're correct that they won't last as long as chains (as long as you clean the rust), but they are more than a 1 or 2 use product.  At least one truck driver said they last him a season or two.

I would expect they will last quite a while if you avoid dry pavement.

2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Even though the OP has quit participating, barring some off road or off the beaten path winter travels, there is zero practical need for chains or socks with that rig and “normal” improved/well traveled roads or highways. 
unless maybe trying to do it on bald tires. 
If one can’t bomb down the highway in inclement conditions in a well equipped 4x4 with good tires and a ton of weight in the back, then one should re-think the feasibility of them driving in those conditions at all. 

Honestly, I have not had to chain up since 1989 when I bought my first 4wd. I have carried chains and cables all this time but only applied them as a test fit in the driveway or garage. I have no reservations going out in winter weather, but avoid the other drivers when conditions require chains if I can.

You are right about traction. With a truck camper on the back of a pickup and reasonably good tires, you have better grip than someone with an empty truck or SUV.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad

Wonder how well these would work.  Look easy to install.

Reviews not so good.  Never mind.

Yosemite NP allows chains, cables, and tire socks, but not that sort of thing.  I've watched many tests of different traction devices.  My take is that chains are the best, and then tire socks and cables.  One problem with those strap on devices is that while they work ok to get you moving and keep you going, they don't do as well to help you stop.  While rotating, there will be times when the tire is in contact with the road surface and the traction device is not.  Hit the brakes, and you just skid.

From the Yosemite NP web site:

Tire chains and cables are devices that improve traction in snow and ice. Chains provide better traction than cables, however cables are easier to install; both are acceptable under the law for most vehicles. Tire socks are also acceptable. Plastic devices, straps, and other emergency or alternative "tire chains" do not meet the legal requirement.

2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

I know that style abrades your rim finish whether steel or aluminum. Some with heavier straps and clamps work but will still tear apart if you spin the drive tires. We used to use something like that in the midwest back in the 70's and they worked in a pinch.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II

F350 DRW with AF1150, 3 peak mountain tires.

I have carried them for years since sometimes even 4 wheel drive vehicles are required to have traction devices onboard and they are easy to carry.  I have used them once.

We were in the California mountains heading to a Harvest Host.  Blizzard had closed the highway just beyond our campsite.  Drove down a long downward sloping twisty driveway through a foot of wet fresh snow to the farm.  During the day the weather warmed up with fresh snow.  That night temperatures plunged.  
In the morning I went out to the driveway to check it out.  Covered in ice under the snow.  I couldn’t even walk on it.   Put the Auto Socks on (very easy) the outer rear tires, truck into 4 wheel drive low, and just motored out of there like there was nothing there.   Extremely impressed.  Told my wife we should go back down and see how well we could get out without them but she wasn’t having any of that.

i have since bought another pair in case I’m really in trouble.   I highly recommend them.