cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autosocks

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad

I have new 3 peak mountain snowflake AT tires on my four wheel drive F350, and am travelling to Utah the end of December. I carry a set of cable chains I've never used, and am considering picking up some Autosocks. My reasoning is they are faster to deploy and remove than the cables, and in a real pinch I could have something on all four. I question whether the socks will improve traction much over the 3pms tires. Anyone have experience to share? Thanks.

'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4
23 REPLIES 23

Matryx
Explorer
Explorer

Why would you use either?  Are you planning on going off road, towing a heavy trailer or afraid of snow?

Cant think of a much better setup than a 4x4 with new tires and a couple thousand lbs in back. 

In CA traction devices are required to be carried over the passes in winter.  I have had to drive out in icy conditions to get to a hospital after Ruth fractured her ankle.  You need chains on all 4 corners on ice covered off camber roads just to avoid sliding off the road into a ditch or over the cliff.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

In my area, you must carry chains or traction devices over mountain passes November 1st through April 31st. If your vehicle is under 10k GVWR, you do not need chain up if you have 4wd and are not towing. If towing, you must chain up a tow vehicle drive axle plus add a drag chain to your trailer. If your vehicle is over 10k lbs GVWR, you must chain up regardless of how many driven axles you have.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Well, my $80 chains were lost by USPS with no more in stock for that price, so I went on the hunt for the next deal after getting refunded by the seller. I found a pair of Autosock AL64 for $125 and just received them today. Now I need a dry day for a test fit on the 245/70r19.5 tires.

@Bedlam wrote:

Well, my $80 chains were lost by USPS with no more in stock for that price, so I went on the hunt for the next deal after getting refunded by the seller. I found a pair of Autosock AL64 for $125 and just received them today. Now I need a dry day for a test fit on the 245/70r19.5 tires.

I had not heard of Autosock's until this thread, let me know what you think of them after giving them a test.  I've lived in Alaska for 26 years previously and we all ran dedicated winter tires (studs or Blizzaks) and nobody carried chains.  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Think of the textile weave of the socks like siping the tread on a tire. It offers all these extra nooks and crannies to get a better grip on a slick surface. They are flexible enough to make them self clearing but I suspect slush may be a negative for these socks.

Bedlam

I was just looking at them. They are better for ice than chains but not as good in deep snow. I ended up buying $80 chains over $160 socks just because I worry how much wear I can put on socks before having to replace them.

A little late to this party, but we lived above the snowline in the Sierras for ten years.  Drove a 2500HD with good BFG AT tires. We carried light chains in winter (sometimes required, even w/4x4).and I can only remember once or twice putting the chains on - on the way to Lake Tahoe right after a heavy snowfall.  Almost never needed them, but was always glad I had them.  Have no clue about Auto-socks.  Never heard of them before this thread.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

The review videos I've seen show v-bar chains are better on ice (especially with a heavy vehicle) as they can break through the surface and dig in.

2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer