cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Hope for This New GS Truck Camper Group?

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

It's been a few weeks since the old forum was shut down and this new forum opened up, but I only see a few old members have joined and not really much for posts (20 total members as of the last few days).  I really liked all of the knowledgeable folks on the old forum who were so helpful with camper repairs and maintenance, but most didn't transition over.  I miss my daily morning reading on Good Sam, I guess Facebook camper pages are the future for now?

IMG_3798.jpg  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

42 REPLIES 42

Not sure I I care enough about being banned on this new forum - been posting on RV.net since 2002.  I'm finding it more difficult to navigate multiple categories, and tracking what I want to read.  The more times I come here, the less I like it.  Technology seems to make itself more difficult rather than improve itself.  Some websites even require a double sign in, and send a security code to my phone - which is troublesome if my phone is in the other room or in my truck, or wherever.  This one, I have to sign in every time, and then search instead of just pick a subject and see the last posts.  That could easily be my non-tech self as anything, but it is not simple, and I need simple.  I often enjoyed reading the camping forum first thing in the AM, but now it's almost become a chore instead.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Right below where it tells you how many replies there are is a line that reads:

Sort:  Newest to Oldest ^

Where you can change the default listing order.

2022 Palomino HS-2901
2004 Dodge RAM 3500

user113
Explorer III
Explorer III

Logistically it seems that making a switch like this in the "off season" might not have been a bright idea.

2022 Palomino HS-2901
2004 Dodge RAM 3500

Actually making the (forum) change during the off season is strategic genius. It reduces the grumping and grousing about how they don't like change to a dull roar so it doesn't drive off everyone. They get used to it and help the rest when they come back in the spring. New members won't know any different.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

@mkirsch wrote:

Actually making the (forum) change during the off season is strategic genius. It reduces the grumping and grousing about how they don't like change to a dull roar so it doesn't drive off everyone. They get used to it and help the rest when they come back in the spring. New members won't know any different.

I hope you're correct!  I still think it's a hard to read and navigate the site compared to every other forum I've been a part of or moderator of.  As I am getting a little more used to this weird layout, I still miss being able to right to the unread posts on a thread.  I have to scroll through pages and watch the date and time stamps and figure out where I left off.  Maybe if the unread were bold type like the main threads are until read?

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

If you choose newest post first, it puts it right under the starting post for the thread. The problem you are seeing is when there are multiple pages in a thread, it displays on page one but takes you to the last page.

This is a forum formatting issue I hope will get resolved.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

@Bedlam wrote:

If you choose newest post first, it puts it right under the starting post for the thread. The problem you are seeing is when there are multiple pages in a thread, it displays on page one but takes you to the last page.

This is a forum formatting issue I hope will get resolved.

I tried that, but I still needed to scroll down to find where I left off reading the thread last visit so I can read posts progressively in order.  That's where highlighted or boldened text would really help me.  Thank you, Bedlam, I know change is hard on the moderators too! 

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

@MORSNOW wrote:

I still miss being able to right to the unread posts on a thread.  I have to scroll through pages and watch the date and time stamps and figure out where I left off. 

Agreed MORSNOW, I'm still trying to figure out why some times I go straight to the first unread post and sometimes it goes to the first post, even if I've read it before. But you might try your settings for jump to unread posts. I'm guessing it's already set to display unread first. Then again maybe it isn't.

opnspaces_0-1703202007301.png

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

@opnspaces wrote:

@MORSNOW wrote:

I still miss being able to right to the unread posts on a thread.  I have to scroll through pages and watch the date and time stamps and figure out where I left off. 

Agreed MORSNOW, I'm still trying to figure out why some times I go straight to the first unread post and sometimes it goes to the first post, even if I've read it before. But you might try your settings for jump to unread posts. I'm guessing it's already set to display unread first. Then again maybe it isn't.

opnspaces_0-1703202007301.png

I have the same box checked, but like you've experienced it doesn't actually take you to the first unread post.  Maybe it just puts the unread threads on top which I see as bold type until read, I wish the posts in the thread worked the same.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III

Many people who have replied have already nailed it on the head.

The bullying that went on here by a few of the members if you disagreed with them got to be ridiculous. Loved it when someone argued with me about camping in -30ยฐ weather when they lived in Arizona and had never done it. But that's the same on all forums. Some just like to be pushy!!

I sold my truck camper a number of years ago but I still came back to this forum because the class b forum on here is even worse. The moderator deletes any post that gets going because they don't like the way it's going. NOTHING WRONG WITH THE POST, just the moderator does not like it. Really not worth wasting time to answer somebody's question only to see it deleted. AND in a good month only one post anyhow!

I also think a lot of it has to do with the fact that people don't post on forums anymore. They just Google it, or they go to YouTube and look it up. I teach photography and if I hear one more person say I watch it on YouTube and they do it that way I'm going to lose it.  Many people, and yes by that I mean younger people, will believe anything on YouTube or Google, even if it is wrong!!

As for the comment earlier about truck campers costing a lot of money today I agree with that 100%. I think many of the people that spend insane amounts of money on a brand new truck and a brand new camper aren't going to come on here and ask any questions, they're just going to go back to the dealer. They are not going to drill a hole in the $78,000 camper - they will let the tech do it. BUT again this is the way a lot of things are going not just with truck campers.  MANY people do not do it themselves, JUST PAY SOMEONE!

I had a couple senior neighbors pass away in the last 2 years. Both of them had garages jammed with tools. Wood working, Machine shop, misc, etc. After both the families had several garage sales they both ended up bringing in giant garbage bins and tossed all these perfectly good tools. The garage sales only help them clear out one or two items and that was at fire sale prices. Because again people nowadays don't do the work themselves.

I learned a lot on this forum but don't see that happening anymore, it is sad!!

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Bingo!

As for the comment earlier about truck campers costing a lot of money today I agree with that 100%. I think many of the people that spend insane amounts of money on a brand new truck and a brand new camper aren't going to come on here and ask any questions, they're just going to go back to the dealer. They are not going to drill a hole in the $78,000 camper - they will let the tech do it. BUT again this is the way a lot of things are going not just with truck campers.  MANY people do not do it themselves, JUST PAY SOMEONE!

Your post is well thought out but I disagree with the last part. The bullying part is true and kept me away and forced me to look things up for myself so your points are dead on. The TCF has been dying with it's members who were to smart and set in their ways for everyone else. Truck campers as a whole are now marketed for the modern wealthy computer genius, not the whole family going camping cheaply.  This started with the slide out and ended with the triple slide. Now their building them tiny but it hasn't changed the price. My god 100.000.00 for a truck camper? You could get a mansion RV for that price. But that's who they're marketing too. The part about people not doing it themselves I just respectfully don't agree with. The more government latches down of freedoms the more people will do for themselves. My analysis is that this forum is not and can not fix RVnet truck camper forum as it died some time ago. I am having absolutely no problems anymore with the layout of the new forum and was glad to see bedlam as the moderator "I think".  Should I put my RVnet disclaimer that I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings?  We shall see.

@notsobigjoe wrote:

Now their building them tiny but it hasn't changed the price. My god 100.000.00 for a truck camper? You could get a mansion RV for that price. But that's who they're marketing too. The part about people not doing it themselves I just respectfully don't agree with. 

I totaly agree, they are very expensive. we are in the process of looking to replace our 1991 slumberqueen with in the next couple years and it has been great to see prices starting to come down now.  two years ago a new big foor was 94K (cdn) as of last week they are in the mid 70's again so hopfully the covid pricing craze is finaly comeing to an end.    I also see a lot of people doing work on their campers/rv and I know for my self, I would have no issues drilling holes or making repairs in my 100K rig (if I had a 100K rig ๐Ÿ˜) especialy after seeing the quality of work that comes out of the suposid RV tech's at the dealership.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

greenno1
Explorer II
Explorer II

This new website sucks. sorry to say.

Latest post firsts lame it should be first post first so you can see the direction of the thread.

I definitly won't be a regular poster here or occasional for that matter.

I'll be at the rally in Redding and such so hopefully Adamis will keep me updated on email.

Lame just lame.

You can change how threads display under settings/preferences/liner layout.

Capturerv.JPG

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

you can chage the default order of the post layoutsso it does go like it was ie. oldest first.  but anyone who think it is all because of the new site that this forum isn't doing that well right now obviously hasnt been following it for over 5 years.  every year I get puzzeled that the truck camper just dies off when camping season is over then starts up again when it starts, its just the way it has always been..   does the new forum suck..  well now that I am figuring some stuff out playing around, it doesnt suck as bad, but it is still not my prefered format for a forum.  one thing is the spell check I have built into my browser doesnt seam to work on the new forum so you guys will have to forgive me of my spelling at times haha

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100