cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would gas engine opinions change if.....

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking today as I was driving my car along the highway and looked down to see my car was turning 4000 rpm to maintain speed ( long steep climb) in my car with the radio on you really can’t hear the engine so it got me to thinking. I wonder how it would change people’s opinions about towing with gas if they had no feedback from the engine. So let’s say you were insulated well enough from the engine and had no tach to watch your engine RPM, would people still say that their motor was “straining “ to pull their trailer? Obviously if you get up into the mountains you will not have the power to keep up with the diesels, but for all the other times. Maybe that is why so many people that have a v-10 class A seem happy with the power? No real point to this post, just something to talk about.
36 REPLIES 36

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, not all gasoline engines are high revving, but most consumer engines are, due to preference.

International is re-introducing gas engines in their heavy school buses. Uses an 8.8 industrial big block:

PSI 8.8L
Rated HP: 270HP @ 2600
@1000 RPM: 103HP
@2000 RPM: 215HP

Rated Torque: 565 ft-lb @ 1500
@1000 RPM: 540 ft-lb
@2000 RPM: 564 ft-lb

It may get worse mpg, but cost of maintenance / repair will be WAY lower.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
DSteiner51 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
If a 440 hp gasoline powered engine in a Ford f350 wirh a 7.1 rear end made its peak hp at 5600 rpm and made its peak torque of 465 lbft at 3600 rpm it would pull exactly the same as a 6.7 Powerstroke with a 3.55 rear axle ratio.

You are correct but don’t confuse the ‘experts’ with facts. Sarcasm on... it is all with that amazing torque, horsepower means little to nothing...

And get about 4 mpg!

Still cheaper than 4 ypi. That's years per injection pump.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"I'd like to have an idiot light/gauge combination. I don't watch my gauges that often and a light would catch my attention quicker. "

And here's why people think deesuls are the devil....
And since the poster of this is likely not a millenial or snowflake gen, then the blissful ignorance and and instant gratitude monikers can now be spread across all generations!

(Psst....and FWIW, trucks still do have idiot lights

and gauges.....shhh don't tell anyone.)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
No, it would probably not change my mind. I like low end torque which is why every vehicle I have owned for the last decade have all been turbocharged. Heck, I haven't even owned anything with more than 6 cylinders in years. Most N/A V8s just feel gutless to me in the rpms I generally drive and have to be revved too high to get the power for my tastes.

Then you have been driving the wrong engines.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
No, it would probably not change my mind. I like low end torque which is why every vehicle I have owned for the last decade have all been turbocharged. Heck, I haven't even owned anything with more than 6 cylinders in years. Most N/A V8s just feel gutless to me in the rpms I generally drive and have to be revved too high to get the power for my tastes.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DSteiner51 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
If a 440 hp gasoline powered engine in a Ford f350 wirh a 7.1 rear end made its peak hp at 5600 rpm and made its peak torque of 465 lbft at 3600 rpm it would pull exactly the same as a 6.7 Powerstroke with a 3.55 rear axle ratio.

You are correct but don’t confuse the ‘experts’ with facts. Sarcasm on... it is all with that amazing torque, horsepower means little to nothing...

And get about 4 mpg!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing better than running full throttle 4,000 rpm in a gasser will eventually be an electric motor. I fully plan to never own a diesel.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
When I buy my trucks the Manufacturer states xxxhp at xxxxrpm. I paid for that hp so I’m gonna use it and always have. Some say I’m hard on engines but by the time 200,000 miles roll around it is the bed and cab that rot away, not the power train.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next time you have a choice, join the winning team and just buy an engine with no spark plugs.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got back from a trip from Atlanta to Key Largo and back, about 1500 miles towing with my GM 6.0. It won't hold 65-68 in 4th without shifting all the time, so I drop it to 4th, and it is just under 3000 RPMs. At first it seems to be screaming, but you get used to it, and it works well at those RPMs.

The truck has over 228k miles, and still runs great. I try not to let it get above 4000 RPMs, and that has nicer been a problem.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Impala (new body style) has the 6 speed transmission, 3.6 liter V6, DOHC 4 valves per cylinder and a 7000 rpm redline, which I have rarely ever used and the few times I did, it was in first and second gear only...after that speeding ticket territory.

When it starts to rev above 4000 rpm it has really throaty, racy sound (to me) and it does not seem to be straining...just seems hungry for more revs.

In comparison, my old '67 327 cube Chevy V8, would start to feel like it was straining from around 4200-4500 rpm up. I would just shift up another gear ( 4 speed Muncie) as not only did it sound strained...it was..as the power flattened out after the mid 4000's on the Smiths rev counter, I had.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
When I switched from a Ford 6.0 to a 6.8 v-10, I would constantly check the tach when I came to a stop/light. Couldn’t tell from sound if it was still running.