cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wood holding tank?

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Interesting, I stumbled across the article on TCM and am not sure what to think. First of course to each their own and kudos on his ingenuity but a wooden holding tank in my humble opinion is not going to last very long. Treated lumber is not supposed to be "submerged"? is that the word I'm looking for maybe. Although there are many paints to be used under water I don't believe this qualifies for that type of marine part. It's a fun article and I thought I'd post it with my opinion.
Joe

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-mods/contests/grey-holding-tank-made-of-treated-plywood/
18 REPLIES 18

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Not as quick, clean and easy as "watering the flowers" once in a while at night, or during the day if boondocking and noone around.

"How dare you!" -Greta

LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Not as quick, clean and easy as "watering the flowers" once in a while at night, or during the day if boondocking and noone around.

"How dare you!" -Greta

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
CA Traveler wrote:
Grey water is not clean faucet water, it's contaminated water that stinks. And when it leaks dry rot may have started. Dry rot results from wet wood with no air circulation ie this tank design. And when it does leak repair or replace.

But I like the idea as a proof of concept.

"Dry rot may have started." SO WHAT? You unscrew the tank from the bottom of the camper and replace it.

You act like this is an integral part of the camper buried somewhere inside where you wouldn't notice a problem for years. It's an external module that has nowhere to leak, except to the outside. You'd notice right away if it leaks.

I don't want to know what you do with your gray water; mine "stinks" like Old Spice bodywash.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bgum wrote:
Valhalla360
Yes I owned a wooden boat made from marine plywood. In fact in my area that was the only type of boat until they perfected riveting and welding aluminum. I would keep it in covered dry conditions between use. When put in water it didn't leak a drop. I agree some wood boats need to swell but not a properly built and painted plywood boat. Many families lived on houseboats made from wood.

I agree that a wooden tank would not be the preferred material.

Sounds like cold molded or stitch and glue where there are layers of fiberglass protecting the wood vs a true wood boat.

This is closer to a wood boat as he merely painted the inside, which is unlikely to remain water tight for any length of time.

Honestly, if you are that far into the wilderness, just find a ditch and dump the gray water away from campsites.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
Grey water is not clean faucet water, it's contaminated water that stinks. And when it leaks dry rot may have started. Dry rot results from wet wood with no air circulation ie this tank design. And when it does leak repair or replace.

I'd bet confidently, that if it leaks or when it leaks, it's through the seams long before dry rot, which, IMO would likely be wet rot first.
Either way, if lumber prices weren't so high, it wouldn't have even cost $200.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
It's a cleaver idea. Seems like a good proof of concept prototype that will need to be replaced as leaks start and dry rot sets in. Also thinking the baffle openings need to be much larger as "stuff" starts to clog them. On the next version the inside could be covered with fiberglass to water proof the concept. Perhaps add several flush fittings to help with cleanout.

Unless you poo in the shower and stuff TP down the shower or sink drain, I can't imagine any "stuff" that would build up.
Built right, I could see this lasting a very long time. Especially if it's looked after, IE the author apparently gets a couple extra days out of their grey tank with it. It's certainly not bulletproof enough to hold water for years on end without degrading, but sure looks like it will hold water for a few days, off n on for quite some time.
Pretty ingenious idea, IMO. Not as quick, clean and easy as "watering the flowers" once in a while at night, or during the day if boondocking and noone around.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The comments here amaze me.

Heavy? This thing is no heavier than any wooden platform that you guys recommend here ALL THE TIME. Couple of sheets of plywood and a few 2x4's.

If it leaks, SO WHAT? It's just going to leak into the truck bed and run out the back or the holes in the front corners. The camper is high and dry. You shut the factory gray discharge, pull the tank, and fix it.

What tanks are readily available? Is there a 4'x8'x4" high plastic tank on the market that can withstand the weight of the camper? What is your idea? Where else on the camper are you going to put more gray capacity?

Frankly I think they could have much more easily solved the problem with compromise, by not taking 20 minute showers, but that's just me. A long luxurious camper shower for me takes 2 gallons of water.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
kinda ranks up there with wooden boats, wont they leak then sink?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Valhalla360
Yes I owned a wooden boat made from marine plywood. In fact in my area that was the only type of boat until they perfected riveting and welding aluminum. I would keep it in covered dry conditions between use. When put in water it didn't leak a drop. I agree some wood boats need to swell but not a properly built and painted plywood boat. Many families lived on houseboats made from wood.

I agree that a wooden tank would not be the preferred material.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Don't they use wooden water tanks on top of buildings in New York City?
I can't see it being practical in a RV. If nothing else it would be heavier.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bgum wrote:
A wood boat keeps water out why would not keep water in?

Never been around wood boats have you.

Typically upon launch, you leave the boat hanging in the slings overnight.

Why? Because initially, it will leak like a sieve until the boards swell up and close the joints. Even after that, you will get a bit of weeping but the bilge pump should be able to keep up with it.

To the original post: It's an interesting solution but probably more hassle than it's worth.

You can get plywood rated for continuous contact with water. 20yrs ago, we had a basement with wood walls. During the buying process, we did some research and if it's the correct type of wood, it should hold up for a very long time.

As mentioned, the joints are problematic If you really felt the need to do this, I would go fiberglass with some wood stringers to provide the structural support for the camper sitting on top. This would be a relatively simple layup and much less likely to spring a leak.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
A wood boat keeps water out why would not keep water in?

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I'd never make a holding tank out of wood. The owner painted the interior with RedGard, a flexible, thick "paint" that is used in 2 coats on top of cement board behind the tiles in showers. It keeps water from seeping through cracks in grout through to the porous wall. Theoretically, if that layer stays 100% intact, the contraption should remain watertight. However, I think all the flexing at the joints and pipe junctions would eventually crack the RedGard.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries