cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Trip

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for places to visit this winter, mid February to early April, west of Arizona. Three, maybe four weeks on a no specific destination in mind kind of trip, just doing the RV thing. I have a 26' TT. Is Palm Springs worth a couple of days?
6 REPLIES 6

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. We picked Death Valley in Calif and glad we did. It was quite a surprise. Very picturest and if you like mountains and geography you will love this place. We dry camped in Sunset RV park for $7 a night which is just across the street from the little village of Furnace Creek. It has a golf course, a resort (undergoing an expansion) and a couple of stores for basic supplies. Buy groceries and gas before you come here. Gas was $4.56 here and 3.99 in Baker, Calif. Tour the Visitors Center, get a map and decide what you want to see. We stayed 2 full days and chose to only travel about 30 or so miles from our RV park to see stuff. We had a drink at The Inn at Death Valley, an oasis overlooking DV with green grass, palm trees and a very nice lodge. Glad we went. Although it was mild weather 70's low 80's, the wind blew day and night. We then drove to Vegas for two nights then home to Phoenix via Hoover Dam, which is undergoing road construction. Heavy traffic due to school spring break.

hilandfrog
Explorer
Explorer
SO many great places to visit... Death Valley in the winter is grand, the sand dunes are "surfable" and hot spring for soaking are less populated.
Joshua Tree is nice for a day or two,
Pismo beach one can drive ON the beach
the coastal highway is nice and there are about 60% less other vehicles to contend with.
Moab is great, April will still have snow on the la Sal mountains in the distance, perhaps some ice on standing water outside but usually not freezing water in an RV cold, nice April WX.
All along I-15 and I-70 are great parks: Arches, Zion., Bryce, Canyonlands.. and others less traveled... NOT to be done with a trailer but the Burr trail to the ferry crossing bullfrog basin was certainly a fun.
Winding back south one could venture to Escalante cliffs and N. grand canyon.
Almost all these places have a few Hot spring or nice watering holes nearby...

A little jealous, have a blast wherever you end up.

-Repo
05 Tundra 4x4

1977' Road Ranger, Diddums is in action.

BC4277
Explorer
Explorer
You could try Julian, CA. (4,000' elev.). I was there in April 2017, days were in the 70'sยฐ, nights in the 40'sยฐ. Pinezantita RV Park was very nice with lots of shade trees. Julian is about 60 miles east of San Diego. If the desert is more to your liking, try Borrego Springs, not nearly as busy as Palm Springs.

Of course, you can hit Joshua Tree NP, Mojave NP, Death Valley NP.

If you do the eastern Sierras, also try Convict Lake. There is a RV Park right there with a very good restaurant $$$ on site. Even in April, the nights can be in the 30'sยฐ.

If you go thru Bishop, CA. be sure to stop at Erick Schat's Bakery.

Have fun.
2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind dry camping Red Rock Canyon in Cantil,CA and Jalama Beach near Lompoc are two of our favorites.

Red Rock Canyon

Jalama Beach

If you're looking for full hookups we love Pechanga

Pechanga RV Resort

If you're heading up north we like the Eastern Sierras and absolutely love Silver Lake on the June Lake loop.

Silver Lake Campground

Palm Springs is great too. Lots of choices there and you're not to far away from Joshua Tree.
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbyg2013 wrote:
I am looking for places to visit this winter, mid February to early April, west of Arizona. Three, maybe four weeks on a no specific destination in mind kind of trip, just doing the RV thing. I have a 26' TT. Is Palm Springs worth a couple of days?

Palm Springs is an ideal area during your RVing dates. Weather will be great. there are a lot of RV Parks to choose from but you will find the prices tend to be a little high. Many snowbirds spend months there. Many things to see and do. I would stay at least a week or more. You don't mention what kinds of activities you like to do.
I would also spend a week in Anza Borego, south east of Palm Springs about 75 miles. Beautiful desert Oasis type of natural settings. There is also a State Park. Hemet is also a great area for snowbirders.
Stay 75 miles away from any where in southern Calif. congested traffic every where, nosey and every where is packed in like sardines

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! Nice shops and restaurants.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad