cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago minnie construction

Sweedish15
Explorer
Explorer
Long time reader first time poster. My family of four is in the market for a travel trailer. We have quite a bit of experience with travel trailers as we have always had free access to a forest river microlight 23lb in the family that we take out often. It has been nice because it has allowed us to see what we like and what we want in our own unit.

We have narrowed it down to a popular floor plan that seems to be made by everyone. I have a half ton truck with a 6800 pound towing capacity.

The two units I am debating are the coachmen apex 245bhs and the Winnebago Minnie 2455 bhs. I've researched both in depth and begun talking with dealers. The coachmen is almost 1000 pounds lighter which I assume is because it is only a 7.5 ft wide unit compared to the normal 8. I also like that the coachmen has 6 sided aluminum and is built with azdel walls instead of luan. Coachmen seems to boast these features.

Sorry for the long post, but I have been trying to find out if the Winnebago also has aluminum rafters and azdel walls or luan.

The Winnebago is quite anbit more expensive but is the preferred interior by my wife. I also think it is a better looking unit inside and out. Can anybody add some insight on the Winnebago construction.
32 REPLIES 32

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sweedish15 wrote:

I also can't believe how many ppl are against the welded frames that most trailers are built on. I'm no professional welder but I've done a fair amount of MIG over the years. A lighter weight frame held together by "huck bolts" sounds like a cheap gimmick of cutting corners.

Take a look at one. I initially thought the same until I actually had the chance to see one. Knowing what I have currently (Lippert) and had on two prior trailers I would take one of those Norco frames in a NY minute.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Sweedish15
Explorer
Explorer
It's not that I won't ever tow with water, it's just that we usually don't need to. I figure why have the extra shifting weight for no reason. We pretty much go to commercial campgrounds and state parks.

I went through my truck manual, pulled all the correct numbers out and weighed the truck at he dump. Should be just fine towing either model at their full weight carrying capacity. I will be near the top towing capacity of the truck, but still within safe limits. Surprisingly the amount of payload weight in the TV was the restricting number. An accurate weight of the tow vehicle loaded and taking passenger weights in to account really starts adding up quick. But 500 lbs in the truck vs 500 lbs in the TT really changed the capacities. Meaning, it seems weight is better if balanced in the trailer instead of filling the back of the truck.

In the future it seems it makes more sense to leave the truck nearly empty except passengers and put all the luggage, bikes, etc in he trailer.

On a separate note I learned the roof trusses in the Winnebago is mae with aluminum trusses, 3/8 decking and tpo.

I also can't believe how many ppl are against the welded frames that most trailers are built on. I'm no professional welder but I've done a fair amount of MIG over the years. A lighter weight frame held together by "huck bolts" sounds like a cheap gimmick of cutting corners. Everyone seems to think otherwise. I think weld quality depends more on the guy laying the bead in the trailer shop. I did google the lippert frames and see they do seem to have a reputation of weld failures.

Neither one seems like a great option, pick your poison I guess!!!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
...snip...

Not to mention those 2 doodleheads who drive (gasp) Frontiers.

Heh, heh, very true, Kip !

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Atlee wrote:
I find it interesting that a lot of folks do not carry water in their TT. I have always carried water. If my TV couldn't safely tow a TT with between 1/3 and full tank of fresh water, I'd either get a bigger TV or get a smaller TT.

Since my current Jay Flight 23RB has an 88 gal capacity fresh water, I will only carry between 1/3 and 2/3 tank of water. I want water so I can use the sinks and toilet while on the road. I also want water so if the camp ground I'm going to has bad water, or no water I can still function.

I also want to be able to carry all the normal equipment, which includes 2 Honda EU2000i generators and the gas to run them.

Sweedish15 wrote:

We never carry water and we only load a few hundred lbs of stuff.

A

Uh oh, a 27' overall length trailer with 50 gallons of water and two honda gennies ? Behind a F150.

oh dear, here comes the weight police with the usual, "it's just a half ton truck which is not really a truck at all but a car on steroids".

this could get ugly.

Not to mention those 2 doodleheads who drive (gasp) Frontiers.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmw photos wrote:
Atlee wrote:
I find it interesting that a lot of folks do not carry water in their TT. I have always carried water. If my TV couldn't safely tow a TT with between 1/3 and full tank of fresh water, I'd either get a bigger TV or get a smaller TT.

Since my current Jay Flight 23RB has an 88 gal capacity fresh water, I will only carry between 1/3 and 2/3 tank of water. I want water so I can use the sinks and toilet while on the road. I also want water so if the camp ground I'm going to has bad water, or no water I can still function.

I also want to be able to carry all the normal equipment, which includes 2 Honda EU2000i generators and the gas to run them.

Sweedish15 wrote:

A

Uh oh, a 27' overall length trailer with 50 gallons of water and two honda gennies ? Behind a F150.

oh dear, here comes the weight police with the usual, "it's just a half ton truck which is not really a truck at all but a car on steroids".

this could get ugly.

So true. When I was buying my F-150 to tow a 23' TT with 40 gallons of water and a single Honda, I was told the sky was falling. (Hasn't hit me yet. :B)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

Sweedish15 wrote:

A

this could get ugly.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

Sweedish15 wrote:

A
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I am curious what Winnebago had a fiberglass roof actually? A motor home possibly, but to my knowledge they never made a travel trailer with a fiberglass roof. In fact until they bought out Sunnybrook in 2010 they did not make a TT at all.....correct?

The fiberglass roof on my Winnebago was on a Class C motorhome.
Bobbo and Lin

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I am curious what Winnebago had a fiberglass roof actually? A motor home possibly, but to my knowledge they never made a travel trailer with a fiberglass roof. In fact until they bought out Sunnybrook in 2010 they did not make a TT at all.....correct?

All winnebago motorhomes in the relatively recent past (20+ years) have had fiberglass roofs. yes, they bought out TT manufacturers since they did not have adequate space in Iowa to construct a factory in/near their facility. In fact I fussed at them years back for not going into the towing market, or re-entering it as I think they "might" have had a TT eons ago, and was given the lack of space excuse. I suggested that they could buy out a current mfr. and evidently that is what they did. Not that my fussing had anything to do with that decision.
On one of my tours of the winnie facility the guide mentioned a non fiberglass roof unit and when I asked her which one that was, she paused , thought a while and said that they all were FG.
I believe that there are many TTs out there being built with a fiberglass roof that goes from front and up over and across, but most I have seen like that are smaller units.

bumpy

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Nothing wrong with personal preference, but I think one could come to the conclusion based on the original post that the OP is not in the market for a $75K rig.

Personally I would rather have an aluminum roof also. The realism is most people do not desire to pay $75K to have one when it comes to TT's.

what is the price differential or total cost of a RV that has a TPO roof vs a rubber one? we aren't talking 75K here.
bumpy

Nothing to answer your question, EPDM, TOO, Superflex are all close to the same cost but the post you quoted was directed at Bobbos post, as I do not believe the OP is interested in an Airstream, or a Winnebago TT with a fiberglass roof that does not exist. I am curious what Winnebago had a fiberglass roof actually? A motor home possibly, but to my knowledge they never made a travel trailer with a fiberglass roof. In fact until they bought out Sunnybrook in 2010 they did not make a TT at all.....correct?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Nothing wrong with personal preference, but I think one could come to the conclusion based on the original post that the OP is not in the market for a $75K rig.

Personally I would rather have an aluminum roof also. The realism is most people do not desire to pay $75K to have one when it comes to TT's.

what is the price differential or total cost of a RV that has a TPO roof vs a rubber one? we aren't talking 75K here.
bumpy

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
As far as roofs go, I have never, and will never, own an RV unless it has either a fiberglass or aluminum roof. (My Winnebago had fiberglass, my Airstream has aluminum.) Personal preference.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as roofs go, I have never, and will never, own an RV unless it has either a fiberglass or aluminum roof. (My Winnebago had fiberglass, my Airstream has aluminum.) Personal preference.
Bobbo and Lin

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
nO, TPO and rubber (EPDM) are not the same. do a search for issues/ cleaning requirements/ black streaks, maintenance etc. with rubber.
bumpy

I get that as I have had both. You are correct but in the whole big scheme of things is it that big of a deal? Most RV owners who have EPDM roofs have never been up on it. It's the sealants you have to worry about With any of them.

If I was laying money down I would bet the Coachmen the OP is considering has Alpha Superflex, and most likely the Winnie also. Superflex is on my 17 Rockwood and I sort of like it, super easy to keep clean. Even then you still get some streaking, that leaches out of the sealants.