cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people have such large trailers?

Lance72
Explorer
Explorer
the simple answer is BECAUSE THEY CAN or WANT. I have a small 19' trailer that will sleep 5. You certainly aren't going to dance in there. My house is way more comfortable than my trailer so when i take it out i don't want to sit in the trailer. I see these monsters on the road 35-40' with sometimes with 2 people but never more 5. In fact I spent a week on the rd recently and didn't see more than 4 people per trailer. This post isn't directed at people who live on the road with their trailer.
154 REPLIES 154

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
As far as having a larger trailer... what else would I do with my 1 ton truck?

Use it for a slide in camper! 😉

I plan on buying a new truck within the next year and it's going to be a F350. I keep looking at the F150s, but the payload runs out exceptionally quick, especially with a slide in. Heck, I'd be at or slightly over rear axle weight ratings on any new F150 configuration with my current setup since I like to haul so much stuff in the bed.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
I have the trailer in my signature and it's basically a perfect size for me, my wife, my 6 year old daughter and my 50 pound dog.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our current 5ver is 38' as was our last one for 2 of us and 2 dogs. We got to this point over the past 45 yrs. We started with our honeymoon in a popup tent camper, then on to a popup pickup camper, 24' travel trailer, tenting while kids in college, 29' 5ver and finally to this point. Why???? Because this is what the DW wants now and we enjoy it alot.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I can add that on our trip out west, we found several campgrounds that had limited room for anything over 28 ft.

Our 25 ft TT was considered small. Go figure?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 35 foot Jayco travel trailer, it is just the wife me and a 80 lb dog. We spend 4 month during the summer in it, then every month anywheres from 7-10 days. We want to be happy when we can't sit outside. It is our little piece of heaven when we are out. Haven't had any problem with it being to long and no problem getting into places.

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm probably in the minority here regarding number of people that camp, but I think our 35' trailer should be "justified" by just about everone's standards 😉 :

1) We have 6 kids, so when you have the wife and I that equals 8, plus 2 dogs and sometimes a few friends we're not exactly swimming in free space.
2) As for the get a 5'er comment - I'd love to get a 5th wheel but finding a pick up that seats 8 + 2 dogs is tough.

Anyway, to each his own. Someone shouldn't have to justify why they want big \ small - to each his own, but sometimes understanding other people's reasons can be interesting.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread, I always wonder why some pay so much for little trailers but I always say to each his own. We made a list and our 35 foot trailer had what was on the list. We really only sleep and use the bathroom for the most part but is has a nice size awning for us to sit under.

In the words of my college history professor "so what and who cares".
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

egilesscott
Explorer
Explorer
De gustabus non disputandum.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
OBSPowerstroke wrote:
The timing of this thread is kind of funny since I'm looking at supplementing my 26' travel trailer with a 8'6" non-slide truck camper for short weekend trips and boondocking off the countless forest service roads I come across.

I really enjoy my trailer and have no plans to sell it, but I just can't get it into some of the areas we've come across exploring in the trucks that would be awesome spots to spend a night or two. The trailer will still be used for my longer trips, especially those where I have reservations and know I'll fit.

For the last minute "load and go" weekend trips, the camper will be much easier find a place to park and will be a lot less stressful exploring off pavement, especially when you discover you can't go any further and have to turn around. Doing that with the trailer in tow can be quite hair-raising at times.

I too am looking at a truck camper....in my case, a really small pop top ( four wh truck camper ) for some serious backwoods camping.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
spike99 wrote:
mowin wrote:
Why do people have such small trailers?

- Easier to tow
- Easier to park
- Less maintenance cost (re: less wax, less window real replacements, etc. etc.).
- Being smaller size is often less cost (for trailer unit).
- Being smaller size is often less cost (for Tow Vehicle as well).

For me, I had a small 19ft trailer. Bought it 10 year old used - to save even more dollars. Going smaller allowed me to save more dollars for my kids future education. Thus, I could afford to pay for more college / university years.

For me, going smaller size trailer was well worth it. Especially for something like camping - that was only done a few times as year.

This worked for me...

And you just made my point... why??? Because its what fits Our specific needs

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
OBSPowerstroke wrote:
The timing of this thread is kind of funny since I'm looking at supplementing my 26' travel trailer with a 8'6" non-slide truck camper for short weekend trips and boondocking off the countless forest service roads I come across.

I really enjoy my trailer and have no plans to sell it, but I just can't get it into some of the areas we've come across exploring in the trucks that would be awesome spots to spend a night or two. The trailer will still be used for my longer trips, especially those where I have reservations and know I'll fit.

For the last minute "load and go" weekend trips, the camper will be much easier find a place to park and will be a lot less stressful exploring off pavement, especially when you discover you can't go any further and have to turn around. Doing that with the trailer in tow can be quite hair-raising at times.

I can feel your struggle as I am contemplating the same thing. I want to have my larger trailer for family vacations but it would be nice to have a slide in for the ease of access in so many locations I can't get my TT into. A slide in would also allow me to tow my "toy" trailer.

As far as having a larger trailer... what else would I do with my 1 ton truck?
I love me some land yachting

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
OBSPowerstroke wrote:

I bought a 35' 5th wheel that I hardly ever use. I found that I like remote areas more then campgrounds and use a smaller trailer. If every size did not sell they would not build them.

toaobigal
Explorer
Explorer
After many years with a pop-up trailer, we bought a 19 foot travel trailer. After a year of week-end trips we went to a seasonal site, after the first season, the 19 footer became a little cramped, especially on rainy days... So, we traded the 19 footer and we got a 27 feet with a 12 foot slide. I see this trailer more like a cottage, it's our summer home... In a few years, we might get a 40 feet destination trailer and spend even more time at the campground.
2011 Dutchmen 277RLS

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34' Avion triple axle trailer that tows like a dream. I rarely use it anymore. My 19.5' trailer does everything we need it to do in a smaller package.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because I spent 11 years going to sea on Submarines. I want to be comfortable now.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.