cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Shocks for 2017 F150 Ecoboost

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the tow vehicle since new. Approaching 60,000 miles with roughly 20% of them towing.

My first travel trailer with this truck was a Keystone Cougar28RBS. MY wife got 2 footidice and we upgraded to a Sporttrek Touring 312VBH. A little longer and a little heavier.

This trailer has given me some towing problems. I've since re-adjusted the equalizer hitch and I think I have it setup correctly now. I still can feel the increase in weight even though it is only 150pounds heavier and hitch weight of 1200 vs 1050 of the old trailer.

To be clear, when I say problems, nothing to do with power. I just feel it is a little bouncier and at time feel the trailer is pushing the truck around a bit when it gets bouncing.

Will upgraded shocks help? I assume that they cannot hurt. Any recommendations on which shocks to buy.

Also....I have looked the 3/4 tonne route, but financially it just does not make sense at this time. In the end, if I can't make this work, I'll upgrade, but I'd like to see if something small like shocks will improve things first.

Interested in opinions on this.

Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
At pertnear 60,000 miles we changed to a set of 4600's on our 13. Sure has made a big difference when the 5'er is attached. Also added a set of Sumosprings.

Milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good plan. please post a trip report 🙂

Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with Timbrens, LT tires and eventually 5100's.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
HydrogenCyanide wrote:
I've had the tow vehicle since new. Approaching 60,000 miles with roughly 20% of them towing.

My first travel trailer with this truck was a Keystone Cougar28RBS. MY wife got 2 footidice and we upgraded to a Sporttrek Touring 312VBH. A little longer and a little heavier.

are you saying that you're towing this new TT with a F150, WITHOUT a WDH and sway control?:E

I am using equalizer weight distribution hitch.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
I put Fox shocks on mine. The stock shock are **** and one rear shock was junk at 40k miles.
I used Fox because, they are Aluminum (I live in rust belt) and the are linear valving.
I had bilsteins on a Dodge 2500 in past. I didn't like them because they rusted bad and they have digressive valving.
The Fox are more expensive. IMO the linear valving rides much better, though I haven't towed more than 3500lbs with them on yet.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
What is a 2footidice ?

two foot idice. As in an illness or syndrome. Needs two more feet of trailer.

should be "twofootITIS". Sorry, retired EMT, couldn't resist.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
People seem to have differing opinions on the value of LT tires. I used them to replace p-rated tires on my last tow vehicle and was glad I did. I don't have enough reason to do that on the new truck, but when these wear out, I will replace with LTs.

I haven't done the Bilsteins, but they are mentioned on here, as well as on F150 specific forums, often.

Those more in the know can certainly correct me, but it has always been my understanding that airbags and WD hitches don't always play well together. It might help a bit with your 'bounce,' but too much airbag support can counteract the work of the WD hitch. Others may have more experience.

One other consideration would be to make sure that you have the right bars on your hitch. If your original set were 1,000 pound bars, you could have been getting by, reasonably, at 1,050. Jumping up to 1,200, however, they may not be able to do the job that's needed.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you’re noticing the added tongue weight and added lengths‘ teeter totter effect. The latter should be able to adjusted out with the WDH and in trailer weight distribution. The former might need the RAS or Sumo Springs to control that.
Yes, shocks would probably help but not completely. Bilstien 5100 are praised on the F-150 Forum.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
What is a 2footidice ?

two foot idice. As in an illness or syndrome. Needs two more feet of trailer.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is a 2footidice ?

Procrastinator
Explorer
Explorer
manley wrote:
I have the Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners on my ‘18. Also have air bags, sway bar, and LR E tires. Night & day difference.

I have done exactly the same including the Hensley hitch. I have driven a lot of miles with 3/4 ton excursions and 1 ton duallys, and I am always amazed how well this current combo works. Minus the gasoline drinking.
2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put Rancho 9000 shocks on my trucks and have been happy with them, both towing and not towing.

I have LT tires with 18" rims on both of my F150's but Ford seems to prefer 20" rims with non-LT tires. I am sure that retrofitting 20" rims would be expensive at this point.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
HydrogenCyanide wrote:

are you saying that you're towing this new TT with a F150, WITHOUT a WDH and sway control?:E
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 king ranch 150 eco boost. I put stiffer sidewall tires on and experimented with different amounts of water in fresh water tank.
I found 3/4 tank water is perfect. 36 ft outback right around 8500lbs ready to go. Over 20000 miles with trailer works for me.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!