cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which roof is better?

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Was recently posting on the TC blog about switching out of my fiver to a TC, but with the help of those on that blog, I decided that a more fitting camper for me would be a TT. Now, just curious, is there a consensus regarding what type of roof is better and more resistant to UV and leaks, i.e. fiberglass, rubber, aluminum? The fact is that my next camper, just like my present one, will never be covered so I'm looking to see what peeps think will be the best able to handle the elements under my circumstances?
45 REPLIES 45

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
GACamper wrote:
We had our roof done by RV Flex Armor (rvroof.com). It is a impressive product. Roof is completely sealed, no more caulking or worrying about seams. We can tell a big difference in the roof insulation & sound proofing. Having a worry free roof is a very good feeling. :C
The down side for us is the finished product (cosmetic appearance) is nothing like they advertise. Kind on the fence on recommending having this done for the price they charge.

I believe RV Flex Armor and Rvroof.com are two different companies. One comes to your site and does it there, roll on style - RV Flex Armor and the other - Rvroof.com, you go to their location and they do it in an enclosure, sprayed on.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

RV's have progressed from galvanized steel to a one piece white aluminum roof material and now to a rubber roof. I've owned units with all three materials and they all have their issues.

I would add to a TPO roof to a fiberglass roof myself. Rubber is not the ultimate material, IMHO.
bumpy

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cajun Bill wrote:
Was recently posting on the TC blog about switching out of my fiver to a TC, but with the help of those on that blog, I decided that a more fitting camper for me would be a TT. Now, just curious, is there a consensus regarding what type of roof is better and more resistant to UV and leaks, i.e. fiberglass, rubber, aluminum? The fact is that my next camper, just like my present one, will never be covered so I'm looking to see what peeps think will be the best able to handle the elements under my circumstances?

RV's have progressed from galvanized steel to a one piece white aluminum roof material and now to a rubber roof. I've owned units with all three materials and they all have their issues.

I've also had a rv/mobilehome repair business specializing in exterior and structures before the rubber roof material hit the streets. The RV/mobilehome industry had lots of leak issues when all material was all aluminum.

The rubber roof offers much less maintenance especially as the unit gets older. Aluminum gets brittle some what as it sits in the sun and ages. Extra pains are needed when removing or rolling back a corner when repairing up there.
Aluminum roof material is around .019 to .027 thick. This is very thin which lets the skin crawl (shrink with cold and grow with heat from the sun) and is very hard on sealants lap joint and around roof fixtures and jacks. Many rv makers didn't glue the material down. I've found lots of stress cracks/loose sealant around fixtures/jacks caused by the material fluttering while running down the road at interstate speeds. The better units were glued down and weren't so problematic.

A rubber type roof material won't crack or have the grow/shrink issues which is so hard on sealants.

We've owned three truck campers and one 5th wheel trailer with aluminum roof material...and the last two 5ers have had a rubber roof. I'll take a rubber roof any time over aluminum roof material as I tend to keep my rvs for years. I've had much less resealing issues with the rubber.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We have an EPDM (I think?) roof, 2003 Forest River TT. No problems at all. Only time it leaked was when a branch fell on it and created a 1" diameter hole... water got in before I could put Eternabond over it. I am assuming there is rot up there, but for now it works.

We are thinking about a new camper - hopefully (and I am assuming) what we have now will last 2 more seasons, until the kids are out of college. I am going to sell the camper very inexpensively, warning the new owner about the possible (well, definite) roof rot.

All these aftermarket roof products people talk about... Really, they should be applied / put on right when you buy a new camper? If you wait until you have a leak, then the roof now has moisture in it and putting a "permanent" roof on will just seal all that wonderful, rotting wetness in.

So... for about $150 a foot, a 21' TT has a roughly 19' roof, so 150x19= $2,850 dollars - $3,000 rounded up for fees and taxes. Honestly, that is hard to justify for me because my roof has not leaked in 13 years (except for outside damage), and at least two friends' campers have not leaked in almost as many years. Actually, I don't remember anyone I have talked to saying their roof leaked.

So... the aftermarket roof products will last at least 12 years? The "normal" "warranty" for a rubber roof. I would be very interested in hearing from people who had these roof products for at least 12 years - condition of roof, any leaks, etc.

I am very much interested in these aftermarket roof products for when we buy a new camper. Only that it is just like buying the extended warranty - you are spending a good chunk of money for something that may be unneeded.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what my roof is? It's not like the rubber roof on our old trailer (which felt obviously like rubber). It's white and smooth and makes a plinking noise when it rains. I'm guessing it's the PVC product mentioned earlier in the thread?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

GACamper
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
GACamper wrote:

The down side is for us is the finished product (cosmetic appearance) is nothing like they advertise. Kind on the fence on recommending having this done for the price they charge.

could you expand on that statement please.
bumpy

Texture of the roof is not consistent. Some areas are very smooth, some areas has a slight texture, some areas have a nice texture. Areas of the white top coat are thin, you can see the gray spray on rubber roof through it. There are couple of areas along the front & real cap seams that have what I call small pockets created by not being sprayed evenly and hold dirt & moisture. Had a couple area that cured out leaving what looked to be small holes/blisters. This was only in the top surface and didn't penetrate all the way through.
Just saying for the price they charge we were expecting a more professional finish look to the job they did.
2013 Montana 3800RE
RV FlexArmor sprayed RV roof..Big Improvement!
A/C, Color TV and a Microwave...Isn't Nature Great?
04.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 5.9L

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GACamper wrote:

The down side is for us is the finished product (cosmetic appearance) is nothing like they advertise. Kind on the fence on recommending having this done for the price they charge.

could you expand on that statement please.
bumpy

GACamper
Explorer
Explorer
We had our roof done by (rvroof.com). It is a impressive product. Roof is completely sealed, no more caulking or worrying about seams. We can tell a big difference in the roof insulation & sound proofing. Having a worry free roof is a very good feeling. :C
The down side for us is the finished product (cosmetic appearance) is nothing like they advertise. Kind on the fence on recommending having this done for the price they charge.
2013 Montana 3800RE
RV FlexArmor sprayed RV roof..Big Improvement!
A/C, Color TV and a Microwave...Isn't Nature Great?
04.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 5.9L

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Cajun Bill wrote:

We have a TPO, never had one leak in ten years...I was amazed this winter in Florida at how many people had roof leaks, it was a rainy winter with horrible downpours...
Most were Jayco TT and 5'er, I don't know what they use for a roof.
Some were new, some were older.
I think we'll stick with the TPO even with our next TT.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

srd357
Explorer
Explorer
When I did my roof, last year I did a lot of research and thinking. I choose PVC http://www.lasallebristol.com/products/building-products/xtrm-ply-pvc-rv-roofing/

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
so you are saying that KZ never used felt backed TPO?

SoundGuy wrote:
"Never" is a l-o-n-g time but certainly my KZ Spree used TPO without a fleece backing, which was easy to determine by just pulling the vent garnish in the bathroom - .

Bumpyroad wrote:
but you have a 2014 and this was long before that. something to look out for regardless of the make of the RV.

Check my SIG ... our current trailer is a 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express which has an EPDM rubber roof and has nothing to do with this discussion about TPO roof membrane. Our 2008 KZ Spree which was manufactured in Nov 2007, right at the time Jayco was having difficulty with the TPO membrane they were using on some models around that time, did have a TPO roof but did not have the problematic fleece backing.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
Cajun Bill wrote:
OP here, took a look at the RV roof.com site. Looks like the best roof anyone could hope for. I imagine the cost is pretty high? Anyone have either a sq..ft. or linear foot cost? I'm guessing about $100/linear foot?

When I had mine done in January 2016 is was $170.00/linear foot. Each location can be slightly different I was told.

thanks

unsubscribing

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Cajun Bill wrote:
OP here, took a look at the RV roof.com site. Looks like the best roof anyone could hope for. I imagine the cost is pretty high? Anyone have either a sq..ft. or linear foot cost? I'm guessing about $100/linear foot?

When I had mine done in January 2016 is was $170.00/linear foot. Each location can be slightly different I was told.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:
so you are saying that KZ never used felt backed TPO?

"Never" is a l-o-n-g time but certainly my KZ Spree used TPO without a fleece backing, which was easy to determine by just pulling the vent garnish in the bathroom - .

but you have a 2014 and this was long before that. something to look out for regardless of the make of the RV.
bumpy