Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to store the tow hitch and stabilizer bars

rv_trailor_noob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All
My wife and I are working up our new travel trailer this coming Saturday. is there some type of an aftermarket box that I can store the hitch and stabilizer bars in? I want to keep the hitch parts stored nicely:)

Thanks,
Dave
37 REPLIES 37

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
All of my stuff goes in the front pass through. I have to pieces of carpet the it sits on. Been doing this for 15 years now. Even when camping it goes in there. All it takes is one good hit to the shin and you will quickly do the same!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Storing the hitch over the winter - hitch head, spring bars, and anti-sway bar sit on the ground in the back of my shed.

At a campground - spring bars and anti-sway bars usually just get put into the bed of my pickup truck. If I need the room, I just put them under the camper on the ground. Hitch head usually stays attached to the truck - when we are out "touristing", I try to park on the outskirts of parking lots, backing in, so the hitch is out of the way of anyone. If I need to remove it, I put it in the back of the truck.

After 14 years they have barely any rust on them, and considering how thick and heavy they are I am not worried about them.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch head stays in the receiver until I'm finished using the trailer for a while, usually January thru the first time I use the trailer in the spring.

Spring bars are just put in the rear of the truck.

During the off season, both hitch head and spring bars are put in the garage.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Mine go in the storage area under in the front of the TT. Handy and easy to get to. They are after all heavy, greasy and dirty chunks of steel. The less I have to handle them the better.

Amen to that! Easiest place, nothing gets lost and secure!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
I put a pickup truck, side mount tool box on my trailer tongue just behind the gas tanks. It clears the brackets for my weight distribution bars, is lockable,water tight, nice clean diamond plate aluminum, and my battery is relocated inside for security.

I have this exact same set up on my TT. Safely stores battery, spring bars, bug spray....
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
If you have elec stabilizers / corner jacks , there is room above the assembly just below the frame where they are bolted. looks like a shelf and the bars slide in there perfect.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I have an equal-i-zer so when camping I leave the hitch head in the receiver tube. I swing the spring bars out wide to lay against the rear bumper and leave them there until I hook up to go home.

If I do remove the spring bars they lay across the tongue behind the propane bottles. The head stays locked into the receiver

At home everything sits off to the side on the garage floor.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
#1nobby wrote:
I welded a receiver to the frame.

https://imgur.com/a/qN7Zu

https://imgur.com/a/qN7Zu

There you go. If you quote this message, you can see what I did differently.

Ah!

Thank you.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I store mine in:

Cheap Rifle Case - Walmart

$15.72 and it has room for padlocks.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine live in the front storage area of the TT. When it's time to bug out I know where everything is. I don't recall there being enough room between the tanks and the house of the TT for any storage compartment.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
My hitch is hardly clean; ignoring the ball grease under the ball cover, the road grime and surface rust, our Blue Ox bar sockets are greased and attract dirt. The bars also pick up their share of road grime.

Fair enough, but when I said my blue ox was "clean" I was referring to the fact the bars do not need to be greased, so they are clean of that. I slip a cover over the head of ball so it's effectively clean. The trunnions on the head can be kept clean where they pivot by wiping them with a paper towel after using the grease gun on the zerk fittings.

So to make it really clean of like road grime would just require a quick wipe with a damp wad of paper towels. At that point it can sit in the pass thru compartment and not get anything else greasy or dirty.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Bars and head are kept lubed when in use, wiped clean when not in use and are stored in the front pass through storage.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Our hitch head goes in an old cooler that happened to be the right size. The bars just lay loose.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I just store every thing in the right hand side of the pass through, that is now divided into separate compartments on both sides of the trailer. Every thing now has it's own place.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3