cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you put your trash can?

ejyoung02
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there! I just joined the forum! The hubs and I are trading in our MH for a TT we can pull with our half ton. We love the floor plan we found and the only "issue" is that we aren't sure where we would put our trash can. All of the lower cabinets have built in shelves and there is no open cavity under the sink. I know most people would just set it in an out of the way spot but we almost always camp with our dog. He just recently turned one so he is still very much a puppy and thrives on getting into mischief. I would really appreciate your advice and tips! Thank you! 🙂
26 REPLIES 26

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
Same issue, but luckily I have a section of floor/wall space to have a free standing garbage can. I found a nifty low-profile, IR touchless can. Looks nice, but it's too sensitive. Scares the bejeebers out of me when it activates on my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Or anytime you get near it.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
steve-n-vicki wrote:
I have a command stick on hook on the end of the overhead cabinet by the front door wal mart bags work great , when it is full I take it to the trash receptacles at the park , good exercise for me

This sounds like what I'll do.

Just like staring at dirty dishes on the table when after dinner conversation has started, I despise leaving garbage in any abode overnight.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
harley4275 wrote:
Seems to be a big deal about a garbage can.?..I do the same as home , plactic container that holds a grocery store bag and keep it the cabinet under the sink . Toss when it gets kinda fullish or when meat is in it before it starts to smell.

Posts should be addressing the OP's situation;

"All of the lower cabinets have built in shelves and there is no open cavity under the sink. "

I also have built in shelves in all lower cabinets. If bin will not fit on shelf , simply notch out shelf to accept bin . Same idea as the 'notched 'wire shelf on most rv fridges.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well one of the nice features of our 2005 Copper Canyon is a garbage bin, on a tip out door under the left side of our sink. Handy and out of the way.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My TT is so small that I just put the trash can outside right next to the door. When I need to throw something I just open the door, go down one step, lift the lid and chuck it inside.

It is a little inconvenient but, it works. Can't have everything.

We do same - put in inside if we go anywhere, empty it before we go to bed. Not too inconvenient, because I do all cooking outside.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Dave-Sparky
Explorer
Explorer
We have found that one of the short plastic buckets that dishwasher soap came in would just fit on the shelf in the cabinet under the sink. Safeway plastic bags fit fin also. Just need to empty it every day or it starts to stink a bit.

Dave
Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2007 Chev Avalanche AWD

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I have a command stick on hook on the end of the overhead cabinet by the front door wal mart bags work great , when it is full I take it to the trash receptacles at the park , good exercise for me

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My TT is so small that I just put the trash can outside right next to the door. When I need to throw something I just open the door, go down one step, lift the lid and chuck it inside.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Depending on where you camp outside is going to be the best way due to ANTS!

RVs and campsites are not like a sticks and bricks where the ant population can be easily managed, nope, lots of food scraps and people, those darned ants have a habit of seeking and finding the most tiniest molecule of food in your RV.

We have a rule, no open candy, leftover food wrappers, spilled sweet drinks or crumbs left behind in the RV and ALL trash must be put outside.. That rule came into effect when the DW was making fun of me suggesting all the food must be put in zip lock bags.. She didn't listen and poured a bowl of ants out one morning :E changing her tune :S

Now if you are camping where there are BEARS then the trash must be put in BEAR PROOF trash bins.. Would hate to see what happens when a determined bear decides to pop open your RV for a midnight snack.

Ya , I never thought about Bears. We don't have any in my area. A racoon might get into it though. I'm just a weekend camper so anything food like that a racoon could get I just carry down and put into the main dumpster.

I never seem to have trouble with ants.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to install one behind one of the access panels under the sink or oven. The panel can be hinged for access.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:
Seems to be a big deal about a garbage can.?..I do the same as home , plactic container that holds a grocery store bag and keep it the cabinet under the sink . Toss when it gets kinda fullish or when meat is in it before it starts to smell.

Posts should be addressing the OP's situation;

"All of the lower cabinets have built in shelves and there is no open cavity under the sink. "

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I sit down outside whenever we arrived to a campground and explain to the ants that they live outside and we live inside. They seem to understand. There are rebellious ants in every ant family though so I spray some roach and ant spray on the tongue jack, stabilizers, shore cord and axles. The shore power cord seems to be their favorite point of entry. If I see one inside I gently pet his little head until he goes to sleep before DW sees him. This avoids DW dismantling the TT in search of any other Maverick ants.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:

^^^^THIS^^^^

Depending on where you camp outside is going to be the best way due to ANTS!

RVs and campsites are not like a sticks and bricks where the ant population can be easily managed, nope, lots of food scraps and people, those darned ants have a habit of seeking and finding the most tiniest molecule of food in your RV.

We have a rule, no open candy, leftover food wrappers, spilled sweet drinks or crumbs left behind in the RV and ALL trash must be put outside.. That rule came into effect when the DW was making fun of me suggesting all the food must be put in zip lock bags.. She didn't listen and poured a bowl of ants out one morning :E changing her tune :S

Now if you are camping where there are BEARS then the trash must be put in BEAR PROOF trash bins.. Would hate to see what happens when a determined bear decides to pop open your RV for a midnight snack.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I use a mesh laundry hamper designed to hang from a hook. It hangs on the bathroom door. When we leave our dogs in the RV, I move the bag to a hook inside the bathroom and close the door so the dogs can't go in there. It's easy to line with a plastic trash can liner bag too.

Looks like this;