cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are rated for anywhere from 9200-12500 lbs max towing and abound 1000# TW Back in 2013, I wasn't thrilled with how our 2013 F150 3.5 EB CC 4x4 max tow (rated for 12k#) felt suspension wise with about 5500# and 28FT behind it. Maybe it was just me, but it was pretty slushy/bouncy even with a properly set up WD hitch. Maybe it was just me. I remember telling myself I would never go over what I had with any other 1500 if that was a max tow truck.
Fast forward to now. We're thinking pretty hard about upgrading from our 17 FT 2800# trailer to something with two recliners and a dinette with a walk around bed. Looks like about the smallest I can find is almost the same, 28 ft. From my reading, light weight trailers just can't hang quality wise and longivity wise as more robust , heavier trailers. Seems like they start around 5800 and up to around 7000#. I know there are people who get downright scientific with it, just looking for a general idea if possible. Hopefully I'm already on the right track.
61 REPLIES 61

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a motorhome, not a camping trailer but I pull a number of trailers with my 2016 F150. The heaviest is over 10,000lbs and 28ft long. I pull this one several times a week for my job. Trips are mostly under 50 miles each way.

All of that said, the truck has all of the power that I need and is very stable pulling all of the trailers that I have.

The truck was ordered with Max Towing Package and factory installed 18" LT tires. I have added 2,000lb Riderite air bags and Rancho 9000 shocks in the rear. I use a common 10,000lb rated weight distributing hitch and 35psi in the air bags.

I had the "opportunity" to use a 2019 F250 diesel for three weeks when somebody hit my F150 and actually prefer the F150 for my use. This is mostly for the quick response of the Ecoboost vs the turbo lag on the Powerstroke and the automatic setting for 4wd that is not available on the F250. I did not use the load distributing hitch on the F250 but would have added it if I had kept the truck much longer. The F250 was better without the weight distributing hitch than the F150 but not good enough in my opinion. The diesel would undoubtedly be in its element on long interstate drives and offer better performance there but I really don't need it with only 10,000lbs. With the fuel prices in my area it is less expensive to feed the Ecoboost even though the Powerstroke did give more miles per gallon.

Keep in mind that all of these trucks are constantly evolving so the year model and equipment on the truck is very important. The 2021 model is rated to pull 3,500lbs more than my truck is plus it comes with Max Payload package when configured the way that I want it so it would easily handle the tongue weight. I may trade up in another year or two.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The half ton thing gets posted every time the forum needs to up their ratings. Since there are F-150's with torque ratings from 265 lb-ft up to 475 lb-ft, the question becomes rather silly. Same way with payloads from 1,500 pounds all the way up to over 3,000 pounds. Which of these are you most likely to find on your dealer's lot and heavily discounted? hint: It will not be the HD models. Given that in just this one model, one has nearly twice the power and double the payload, including "half ton" in the question can be misleading or even dangerous.

However, since I have owned many half tons, I will put in my two cents. Assuming a middle of the specs half ton with some towing options, I limit myself to 26 foot travel trailers and 6,000 pounds of weight. These are conservative and make for a fun towing experience.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Towed the 36 ft TT in my sig, 8800 lbs, for 2 years with my old 5.7 Tundra.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

blt2ski
Steven68502 wrote:
I also have 250 inches to work with in my garage and 83 inches in height at the opening. I just picked up a new F250 supercab with short box (148 in wheelbase) last weekend. It fits. But a super crew would not fit. Not sure a regular cab with 8 ft. box would fit either.

A reg cab is usually 12-18" shorter than an ext cab with a 6.5' box. My GMs at any rate, have 130ish inch wheel bases. Ford, five etal are all within 5-6" of this, so other than height issues, I would not worry about reg cabs with 8' boxes.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my F150, I had the family sitting in it when I took measurements by the Equalizer videos and reset it up myself. It did seem a little better afterwards, but the bounciness always got on my nerves. Could just have been that I haven't experienced what it is supposed to feel like. My current rig is a Gulfstream 17RWD with a Husky WD hitch and a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 tow pack. The way Campers Inn set it up, the trailer is pitched up more in the front than I'm used to seeing. The Jeep usually bounces once when the trailer does and the steering doesn't get all light and wandering. I thought it looked wrong, so I dropped the hitch head one bolt hole down, boy did that make it worse so I put it back where they had it.

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 37', 10k trailer for thousands of miles with my Tundra. Biggest difference I made was getting a good hitch. The truck was stable, yes I was overloaded, but never really felt unsafe. I got tired of the horrible gas mileage and made the move to my Ram. I did look at the Titan/Cummins combo, but they were really proud of them. Is the trailer more stable with the 3/4 truck, yes, but if set up correctly, the 1/2 will do well.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Steven68502
Explorer
Explorer
I also have 250 inches to work with in my garage and 83 inches in height at the opening. I just picked up a new F250 supercab with short box (148 in wheelbase) last weekend. It fits. But a super crew would not fit. Not sure a regular cab with 8 ft. box would fit either.
2021 GD Imagine 2600RB
2020 F250 XLT 7.3
Previous 2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Previous 2015 Nissan Titan Pro4x

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Time to add another trailer to my list. Thor Twilight series. I've been looking at them at Sonny's. These guys are typical salesmen, but check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itJxwpiWzoo
It has Azdel, aluminum structure walls and arched roof, power jacks, etc.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I have 250" total in my garage. Most of the 1500's are 228-230". I think the 2500 is going to be out of my budget either way and with the horrible MPG even unloaded, I don't think the wife will go for that. I can't stand the new aluminum bodied F150's, so they are out. We would be between the Ram, Nissan, and possibly a GMC.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a 35.5 foot 8,300 pound travel trailer with two different max tow F150's (2012 and 2016) and they were both fine. Also tried it with a Tundra and would never do that again. Short answer is it depends on the "1/2 ton" truck. Towed that same trailer with a Titan XD Cummins diesel and it was great. Same with a Ram 2500 with the 5.7l gasser.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

manley
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

Also, there are generally a lot more generous incentives on the F150.

This.
There’re generally NO incentives on the 250/2500 series trucks. However, it’s not at all unusual to buy a half ton $10k under sticker.

Another consideration - most 3/4 tons are too tall (and likely too long) to fit into a standard residential garage.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I’m right at 35’ with the Hensley.
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will revisit Grand Designs stuff. I've driven by them a few times while in that area.
I have noticed they don't "blow" out 2500's like they do 1500's.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Either way, I will most likely try to find something 6000# UVW or less. I can't see driving all the way across the country for the Northwoods or Outdoors RV. I'm really trying to find something that compares to the Lance 2375 just so we have some choices. There might not be much, if any except the stuff that is quite a bit less money. Then it's the "well do I pay for higher quality now or deal with fixing the lesser expensive one later". Of course, they are all man made and all have issues to some extent.
Wopachop, that is a true statement. I would have a 2500 and a larger trailer and something else for my wife to daily drive. I drive a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE. There is a "budget" of sorts. I just see a 2500 series sweet Ram night edition with a 6.4 Hemi and consider it, but in reality, she might like a 1500 better and the gas MPG is horrible on those 2500's.

Since you are in FuQuay-Varina Check out Sonnys RV . They have 2 location, one NC near Charlotte and one in SC, Dillon I think.

They made us a good deal on our GD 2500rl. We pull with a F150 2020 ECO max tow and probably 7200 loaded. GD has several TT that would fit a F150 nicely. We love our GD and F150. BTW not affiliated with either.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Once you get into the 28', 7-8k lbs range you are getting to the area of needing a specially equipped F-150, so just for fun, I went on Fords website, and built 2 trucks, an F-150 XLT 4X4, with heavy duty tow package, and heavy payload package. It was just over $50k, then I built an F-250 XLT 4X4, and did not have to add any heavy duty packages, and it was just under $48k.
So really you might as well go with the 3/4 ton, it will be a little cheaper, and you don't have to worry about payload, and you have more truck to handle the load.
The MPGs, will suffer a bit, but unless you put a bunch of miles on it daily, that shouldn't be a concern.

Unfortunately, this only works if you are paying sticker. F150's are notoriously overpriced on their MSRP and you can readily save 20% or more if buying at the right time. I've not seen the same for the HD's.

If you have a payload need that requires the HDDP, you might be in the ordering category, so that changes things. Otherwise, you can get a Max Tow F150 for far less than any HD you'll find out there.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Once you get into the 28', 7-8k lbs range you are getting to the area of needing a specially equipped F-150, so just for fun, I went on Fords website, and built 2 trucks, an F-150 XLT 4X4, with heavy duty tow package, and heavy payload package. It was just over $50k, then I built an F-250 XLT 4X4, and did not have to add any heavy duty packages, and it was just under $48k.
So really you might as well go with the 3/4 ton, it will be a little cheaper, and you don't have to worry about payload, and you have more truck to handle the load.
The MPGs, will suffer a bit, but unless you put a bunch of miles on it daily, that shouldn't be a concern.
But with the F150 you get the 3.5 Ecoboost and the 10 speed transmission; a wonderful combination. Well worth the extra $2K especially if that truck is a daily driver most of the time.
Also, there are generally a lot more generous incentives on the F150.
P.S. I'm 28-feet (30 foot overall) and about 7600 lbs with my F150.