cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's needed for sewer hose storage

Lectric80
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody, I'm looking at the modifications people have made, and I'm wondering what's required for sewer hose storage?

By this I mean my trailer has a storage but it curves immediately and I cannot put a hose in it if it has connectors. My thought was to use a piece of pvc pipe on the rear to store my new Rhinoflex 15' hose, rough measurement seemed to be 4.5", but that doesn't seem to jive with most rv's having 4" rear bumpers and that would be a 5"pipe. So, what size pvc pipe is needed to store such a hose? Is there a better way, as in cheaper?

There is no bumper on the rear, just two 1/2" square tubes sticking out. Eventually I plan to add a small rack to this, but I can adjust as needed when I'm ready for that.

Thank you in advance for any advice, as the trailer needs to be brought home this week and that means draining the tanks, which means the hose isn't going back inside the trailer.
16 REPLIES 16

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing as rhagfo with the square fence posts. I added 2 of them with access from either side. I keep a 10' sewer hose with connectors on one side and just a 10' extension on the other in one of them. In the second one I keep a hose that's only used for the blank tank flush and then a "junk" garden hose on the other side that I can use to just drain my gray tank. Keeps everything hand and out of the way.
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
We use a 5" vinyl fence post, best solution I have ever found, all fitting also fit.

This is the best idea i have seen. I have a round tube that the former owner installed that is useless. Square looks much nicer.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two of the DIY vinyl fence post carriers installed. No issues for many years and miles.

Lectric80
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
It may seam expensive but this system works like a champ
6"sewer hose carrier

This is likely similar to what will be used to replace the factory setup.

Lectric80
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
We installed two Rubbermaid packer boxes on the hitch platform. The one on the right is for sewer hoses etc (yucky stuff), the one on the left is for chocks and levelelling blocks etc. The centre one is stock and had the propane. But we also carry the fresh water hoses, empty water jugs for campground use and an empty bucket. We pack the hitch light. And we mounted a strap and brackets for our little 6 gallon tote tank. Nice setup for us.

Great idea, unfortunately on this trailer the propane tanks and batteries are in compartments that have doors that open in those areas. That said, what a great way to maximize your storage.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
We installed two Rubbermaid packer boxes on the hitch platform. The one on the right is for sewer hoses etc (yucky stuff), the one on the left is for chocks and levelelling blocks etc. The centre one is stock and had the propane. But we also carry the fresh water hoses, empty water jugs for campground use and an empty bucket. We pack the hitch light. And we mounted a strap and brackets for our little 6 gallon tote tank. Nice setup for us.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It may seam expensive but this system works like a champ
6"sewer hose carrier

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also keep mine in a tote in the compartment where the water pump is. Also has room for some extra hose and fittings that sometimes come in handy.

Lectric80
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone, I'll be figuring it out this week and I'll post up with what I decide. Right now I'm thinking a tote might just be the ticket, then I may see about removing the existing storage setup and making it straight so it looks factory but actually allows a hose to be stored. The trailer I have has a plastic skirt around the bottom that helps with aero, but also has a door in it for the hose storage, so modifying it would be a good idea.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep all my Rhino sewer hoses,The 15 Foot and The 5 Foot extension and all fittings in a Rubbermaid Tote,this keeps them away from everything so it won't contaminate anything and it is stackable.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use a 5" vinyl fence post, best solution I have ever found, all fitting also fit.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
albert18 wrote:
Hey, when it comes to sewer hose storage, there are a few options you can consider. One solution is to use a piece of PVC pipe attached to the rear of your trailer.!

A square Vinyl fence post is cheaper and easier to attach. I have 2 mounted under the belly near the sewer exit pipe of my 5er. I can store two hose in each so I have a spare or two.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
A sewer to start with!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I zip-tied 6" diameter flexible corrugated drain pipe to the underside of my MH frame from side to side. I also store rigid plastic gutter sections there to support the sewer hose when in use.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L