cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the max length travel trailer you think is practical

coloelk
Explorer
Explorer
Assumptions - you have a big enough truck to pull it.
you want to get it into state parks
you want to get into national parks
you would feel comfortable pulling it
cost is not a problem

Just wondering what the concenus is for max length. I know people have different likes /dislikes, but I think there will be within a foot or two a max length most people won't want to exceed.
65 REPLIES 65

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I believe the general consensus is whatever size each poster owns is exactly the maximum length that is practical. Coincidentally, that length is also exactly the minimum length that allows for practical usage. And people think you can't get precise answers on an internet forum.

Applies to most opinions
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
25' ball to bumper is the maximum length I will go. Anything longer than that will not fit into some of the boondock sites I like. The bonus is that I fit everywhere else with no issues.

I come from a backpacking background, and spend the majority of my time outside of the trailer. I don't care about television sight lines (there's no tv) or recliners (I'm outside until it's time to turn in).
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
coloelk wrote:
Just wondering what the concenus is for max length.

You're kidding, right?

No way you will get a consensus here, or on any other internet forum.

My 37 footer has fit everywhere I want it to. SP, NP, Private Campgrounds, COA's.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Or your preference in personnel.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of like which is the right beer, dog, shotgun etc.

The right size depended on personnel preference.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 22 footer, the box is 18 feet. Plenty big for 2 of us and we have spent 5 months in a row, twice with it. No where we cant take it and it has everything we want . The very best thing about it, we could afford to pay CASH for it and that was our #1 goal, it is a toy after all.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I believe the general consensus is whatever size each poster owns is exactly the maximum length that is practical. Coincidentally, that length is also exactly the minimum length that allows for practical usage. And people think you can't get precise answers on an internet forum.

:B

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like a max of 25 feet. The maximum width should be 8 feet.
Then you have a good chance to fit most places.
My pick up is 24 feet long. By adding a trailer 25 feet long that is 49 feet, longer than a lot of Class A and 5ers.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We like two recliners, free standing table and chairs, a big shower and bathroom, and a full size residential 80" queen bed. 28' seems to fill those desires. At 32.5' overall, we haven't had any trouble with fitting into sites at campgrounds or squeezing through gas stations. Towing hasn't been a problem with the F250 with or without sway control.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Not a TT but a 5er. 27'10" long. Minus the overhang when towing and parking and it becomes 23'10". Perfect length IMO for overall use. Dinette slide out and two recliners in the rear. Two places to sit are a must for us.
It's just common sense. The larger you go the less choices you have and vice versa. You can't have it both ways all the time.
Try googling some of the places you want to visit and see what size sites are available.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
coloelk wrote:
Assumptions - you have a big enough truck to pull it.
you want to get it into state parks
you want to get into national parks
you would feel comfortable pulling it
cost is not a problem

Just wondering what the concenus is for max length. I know people have different likes /dislikes, but I think there will be within a foot or two a max length most people won't want to exceed.

You asked a very nicely focused question. It didn't take long for everyone to chime in on other issues. Of course the larger the trailer the more nice features it will have. If you are living in it, larger is better. But, you didn't ask for that kind of advice. I can speak from experience about #2 and #3 in your list. Since cost is not an issue and you have a larger enough truck, you are good there. Only you will know how comfortable you will feel towing. If you ask this question of 100 people they will give you 100 different answers.

I started with a tent, went to a tent trailer, got a 21 ft. hybrid next and then the 25 that I have now. As you move up in length you will lose options, no question. Even the 21ft with a slide out made some forest service and national parks a bit tight. While state and national parks are trying to adapt to trailers today they still are a long away from accommodating long trailers.

You will have challenges trying to park a 35 ft trailer in parks. Read between the lines when people post that they have never had a problem. That is usually completed with something like "in places we want to camp" or something like that. People who pull small houses down the road will often need full hookups. Boondocking in a state park is out of the question. Yes, you can get reservations for "some" sites in "some" parks. Even the larger parks with total reservation access will have very few huge spots available.

So, perfect size? Don't know that. I have a 25 and would like to move up to a 27 but anything larger wouldn't work for us.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
For me 25ft loa is comfortable

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The best size TT for us has been a 25 ft. Dutchmen with a short slide. It is just my wife an I and a big dog. We tow 5000 to 8000 miles a year mostly State of Fed parks or recreation areas. The TT always fits the campsite, can be pulled with an F-150 and is small enough to wind through city streets to find the next museum or quilt shop.

We come from a tent and canoe background, our TT is the lap of luxury.

Your needs my vary. Rent one to find out.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
25' with a slideout is probably the max I would go for hitting State Parks (in WA) and some national parks.

A lot of the national park campgrounds were built decades ago, when the typical tow rig was a family sedan or station wagon, with a 15-20' trailer.

I really like the Arctic Fox 25R or the Nash 24M.

Both have a slide, sofa and dinette, and a walk-about bed
Bob