cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What If's and Favorites

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for your; What If you had it to do again and your favorite picks for truck and trailer combinations. Probably not a new topic here but we've decided to down size.
We've been in our 40 ft Diesel pusher, towing a suv for 10 years and 86000 miles. We were spending 6 and 7 months out and loving it. We're still loving it but only the last year we were only out for 2-3 months for the year and that will probably continue with that length of time out. Decided we don't need this size of equipment and we're gonna sell both rv and suv when we get back from pacific northwest.

We originally started small, with a motorcycle and a trailer and later a 23 Class C , so we've done smaller before.

Gonna get a pickup and a trailer under 25 ft

We like........the Toyota Tundra 1/2 ton. We like the Keystone Cougar, Nash and Outback trailers all similar sizes of 22-24 feet.

Looking for your suggestions/favorites. Combinations. One slide. .....OR Two ?

I'm sure there is a lot of stuff our there to look into. Looking at both new/used.

Whatchagot?
14 REPLIES 14

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
Galvanized, as long as you might be considering a RAM, let me tell you about our 21.5' combo shown below. The new 3.6l V6 pulls the Winnebago very well. This engine combined with the 8 speed transmission in tow/haul mode and the trailer is a near perfect combination. There are just 2 of us. I have been amazed at the power of this V6. You can get the Minnie Winnie in RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, LIME, or plain old WHITE like we did.
Best of luck on what ever you decide.

Had no idea Dodge made a v6. I was looking at the website and was fairly impressed.
Is that milege correct? 17 city and 25 highway?

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Great. I'll be checking those out. Been about 17 years since I bought a pickup so I got alot to loo at.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another suggestion to check out the Winnebago Winnie line of trailers. Our 2201DS weighs in @ 6,200 lbs. and our Tundra pulls it very well. The 2201DS has one slide, outdoor kitchen, tons of storage space for longer trips and is 26'9" long overall. We downsized fro a larger trailer and have no regrets, but that puts us in the minority as the trend is larger trailers with more slides.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 2006 Chevy Duramax diesel and would not trade it for anything.

If I were going to go for a half ton tow rig I would go for a Ford/Chevy SUV or one of those Dodge ECO-Diesel pickups. For a half ton pickup I would also research a Ford Eco-boost. A Tundra would probably be fourth on my list under the above listed vehicles. It is pretty hard to argue with Toyota quality in my opinion but none of the Toyotas I have experience with have been very easy on fuel especially when towing.

For a shorter trailer I would look for a trailer with dual opposing slides. It is really nice to have that kind of floor space. But it seems like slides eat up cargo room so I guess everything is a trade off.

The one thing I have alsways wanted in a trailer is an integrated generator. I really miss being able to push a button to start the generator and charge everything like you can in an RV. I don't know if there are any trailer out there with an integrated generator? If you are full hookup campers this probably won't matter.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Galvanized, as long as you might be considering a RAM, let me tell you about our 21.5' combo shown below. The new 3.6l V6 pulls the Winnebago very well. This engine combined with the 8 speed transmission in tow/haul mode and the trailer is a near perfect combination. There are just 2 of us. I have been amazed at the power of this V6. You can get the Minnie Winnie in RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, LIME, or plain old WHITE like we did.
Best of luck on what ever you decide.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jay Flight that I absolutely love. Love the fact that it has a ton of storage and I love the floorplan. Only thing I don't care for is the jack knife sofa. It isn't the most comfortable for sitting, but I will admit since I mounted TV on swivel, adjustable bracket I can get more comfortable watching TV. I also bought an ottoman so I can prop my feet easily. (I rarely sit with my feet down for long).

Consider how many people will be in trailer regularly? Do you need a master bedroom that is separate from rest of trailer? I personally will not buy another RV that you have to walk through the trailer to get from master bed to bathroom. My mid-20's son joins me occasionally and I hate to walk through where he is sleeping in the middle of the night. I want my privacy like master bath in S&B. I see lots of folks that buy bunkhouses for grandkids to go with them, but will they really go enough to make it worth the space that can be used for other things?
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Mrjuice
Explorer
Explorer
Truck and camper for u and the mrs's and a trailer for the hounds
Should be great at the Reef!! Looking forward to seeing you there this year

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, gonna look into the ram and lance.

Yes bigger is always...........we'll, bigger. We've done big, our Dp with 3 slides and 4 dogs(figure the two Rottweilers can pull it if we run outta fuel) was great but time to get a wee bit smaller. About 23 ft with a slide should do.

All suggestions are welcome . Thanks

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go Ram 1500 ED Laramie and a Lance 2385 TT.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We've been happy with both of our FR products, so would suggest a look at one of the FR Rockwood Mini Lites. Absolutely a slide. You'll end up with a more square layout and I think it would feel larger, but you'll be towing short. We had a ROO 23SS and loved it. It was a perfect size for us with the large slide....until the high-tech hip, the vanishing cartilage, other misc old-people stuff, so we moved to a Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. It's plenty of room for us and is towable with our '03 F-150 with factory tow. In all honesty, the 23SS was a perfect size (it's really a bit over 20') but the hybrid gains you some space. We never intended to make a move. The size range you're thinking of is nice and easy to get into most any site you want.

You do realize that as this thread grows, so will the length of the trailer you absolutely must have with at least 3 slides....just sayin'. And you'll be to a 350 dually, of course. Good luck and happy camping. Let us know how this progreses.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
We did a lot of miles towing a pop up behind the bike. If I wasn't so full of arthritis we wolud probably still be doing a trip or two a year.

I I were doing it all over I would go to the 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi and the Cougar 25' rear living.

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
johnnylawless wrote:

Either way you'll love the Tundra, turns like a kitten.

And purrs on a dime?
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

johnnylawless
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tundra 1/2 ton with the smaller V8, carrying a 15' box.

Pulls fine, pulls idling. Still wish I'd gotten the larger v8 and a 4x4 though....

Either way you'll love the Tundra, turns like a kitten.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I always point out.... Get the size RV that will prevent cabin fever.

It's a lot easier to ride out a week or two weeks of bad weather (the kind where you have to stay in the RV most of the day) in a 40 footer vs. a 25 footer.