cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you guys use for a BBQ?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just found out that my Coleman Road Trip grill won't fit through the door to the only outside storage compartment on our Lance 811. We had a few portable grills before the Coleman that wouldn't put out enough BTUs to cook anything besides a hot dog.

Anybody use those grills that attach to the side of the camper? Looking for ideas.
23 REPLIES 23

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are a weekend warrior, carrying a grill of some sort might make sense. I was a full timer for a couple of years and now typically take trips of several months. With full time or extended travel over different seasons, space becomes important.

At one time I tried to use a grill with a small bag of charcoal. That pushed available space and was really messy.

I kept the wire grilling surface which I can use on campground grills or fireplaces. I also have folding marshmellow/hot dog cooking forks. Cooking over an open fire can be a lot of fun with added flavor. I can recommend both for anyone who has limited space. I won't use a propane grill even at home. I am old fashioned enough to stick with my Weber kettle charcoal grill.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I like the smoke flavor so use the Weber Smokey Joe.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crabby, we used to do the same thing on the beach, I have a Coleman charcoal BBQ that converts into a firepit. After you grill dinner you add the sides and let the coals start the logs. We used the Road Trip grill for quick lunches and started the charcoal grill in the evenings.

That was back when I had a Suburban with tons of room in the back for all of the above plus a 150-qt cooler, firewood, etc., etc. and a 34' TT with loads of storage.

I'm done setting up a small village and entertaining 12 people at the trailer. Now just the DW and me, and equipment will be a tabletop grill, folding table and 2 lawn chairs. We plan to do more traveling and less camping with this rig.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I found this Road Trip tabletop:

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Weber Q for us, but a great modification that I just did was to drill out the regulator nozzle using a 1/16 bit (based on mods posted elsewhere on the Internet). Greatly increased the heating capacity, now able to go to 550-600 degrees in a few minutes, whereas before it was a struggle to achieve 500 and maintain.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Volcano Grill, and Lodge cast iron griddle for cooking on campfire.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We start a campfire with charcoal, then throw a grill on top for grilling. We do carry a road trip but hardly use it. Ive only BBQ once over the road and brought my webber smoker. Uses charcoal and I throw in a lump of wood for my flavor.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I got rid of my Roadtrip for a Weber Q 1200. You might want to consider a
17" Blackstone Griddle as well
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Baby weber

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cheap, and plenty big enough for the two of us. And works very well.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
We actually just switched to a blackstone griddle. Looked for a few years for a new grill that fit in the hatch we had and nothing did. Then discovered the blackstone and it fit! Definatly a different cooking style then a grill, but it has lots of heat output. Steaks on the blackstone are amazing, sure gives a great sear!

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a Weber Lil' smokey
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1Flyboy wrote:
We enjoy campfires & BBQ on them with a grilling basket...Allows is space for more firewood....

Please don't transport firewood across state lines. In many states it is illegal.
www.dontmovefirewood.org
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy campfires & BBQ on them with a grilling basket...Allows is space for more firewood....

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Weber Go-Anywhere charcoal grill. Smallest grill I could find.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC