cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We were shocked to learn our newly purchased TT

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
Is it true that a 2020 keystone hideout 338lhs could only have a gas water heater?? That's what the lady who showed us the features of the trailer said, but I wasn't 100% sure she knew what she was talking about cause then in the same breath said 'but the outside is electric"
67 REPLIES 67

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
2oldman wrote:
It's just lovely parked next door to one of those when it fires up at 3am.

LOL...yeah some are very noisy.... like the one in my '97 5er. Sound like a mini jet roar when she fires up.
I was told mine was gas only. The tank was housed under the sink. I was under the sink and saw this switch next to the electric hook up. Flipped it on and 20 min later hot water.....no more jet blast water heater.
I'm sure some folks was glad I found it.

Okay, now I have to go out and see if my FR Surveyor has an electric option after owing it for 17 years... lol!

I'm 98% sure it is gas only.

As to usage... when it is just wife and myself camping, I usually shut off the gas heater except for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours at night. In middle of the day, to wash hands or dishes, there is still usually plenty of "warm" water without turning on the gas.

My water heater is pretty well insulated, but still will turn on for a few minutes every hour or so when not being used. Years ago in a campground our neighbor's camper's gas water heater would turn on multiple times an hour even when no one was using hot water. I am not sure what was up with that.

It would be nice to have the electric option, but the gas heater has been fine for us.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Propane is fine... it is the diesel burner that will grind on me.

Right before sunrise on a cold morning clattering away...........
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
My 2020 Keystone has 2 electric switches for HW....1 at the heater and 1 at control center.

I never here a noise at campgrounds......2 glasses of red wine and a Cpap = sleep.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably got the electric switch on the outside.
As far as Boise goes, I've yet to hear an obnoxious water heater. But I have heard furnaces that sound like a jet leaving an airport!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Propane is fine... it is the diesel burner that will grind on me.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:

Hah, your not really old at all are you!!
Otherwise your hearing would be as lousy as mine and you wouldn't hear them anymore.
Seriously, I was thinking they're all super quiet these days but now your making me wonder if they're just one more thing I can't hear.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My current 2018 Hideout by Keystone has LPgas and electric water heater. Think 6 gal. Switches are inside the door in a panel box where the gauges/awning rocker switch is. I do nothing on the outside for electric.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

LOL...yeah some are very noisy.... like the one in my '97 5er. Sound like a mini jet roar when she fires up.
I was told mine was gas only. The tank was housed under the sink. I was under the sink and saw this switch next to the electric hook up. Flipped it on and 20 min later hot water.....no more jet blast water heater.
I'm sure some folks was glad I found it.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
I agree with mockturtle about turning gas heater off at night. If I am dry camping then the water heater is turned on in the morning for dish washing and showers, then it is turned off. The water stays warm all day long.
Do you turn your water heater "off" in your house as well? Same logic applies, except it has a much bigger tank, and will stay warm even longer.

Besides, warm isn't hot.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with mockturtle about turning gas heater off at night. If I am dry camping then the water heater is turned on in the morning for dish washing and showers, then it is turned off. The water stays warm all day long.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
My Sabre is gas/elec. It is a Suburban, so the elec switch is outside.

And yes I break all the WH rules. When camped it is on 24/7...Yes I know it only takes a 1//2 hour to heat up.... But I do not want to wait everytime I want hot water... I want it on demand, just like I do in my house. Keeping it hot uses so little propane that it is not an issue....

As for Oldman and the noise.... Why are you that close to my TT? Give a fella some space. If you can see my TT, you are to close.
I hate neighbors. Always griping about something. Your lights are too bright, your generator bothers me, your truck is too loud... etc. etc. Leave and take your issues with you. I didn't ask for you to camp next to me!

My brother once set up for an overnight in the middle of a sagebrush flat that stretched clear to the horizon. A couple of hours later another car appeared, stopped and started setting up camp 50' from him.... My brother walked over and told him "If I wanted neighbors," I would not have camped here"
The fella left in a hurry.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:

If you can hear the sound of gas HW heater firing up at night, you need better insulation in your trailer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
My Lance has gas and electric. Both turn on inside.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Standard equipmnt lists 6 gallon GAS only water heater
Keystone uses Suburban Brand water heater so 'IF' it has electric option it will have the On/Off Switch for electric in outside compartment lower left corner behind gas valve

No on/off switch----GAS Only
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

You have to stay away from those gravel RV parks where folks are packed in like cord wood.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.