cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water in fuel

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Well the light come on and said water in fuel service truck. 2017gmc 3500 duramax. Well no water in fuel apparently iam the first truck in Canada with this issue. Wonder if I get a prize lol
6 REPLIES 6

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Does it happen only when it rains?

Dunno about GM, but with the RAM sensors, water getting through broken insulation on the sensor wires will cause the light to go on.

For a while the sensors had poor strain relief where the wires entered the sensor, and this could happen. Newer sensors have this fixed.

These new trucks have so many sensors and computers, they often require an electronic or computer technician to fix, not a mechanic.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know we don't have a lot of BioDiesel stations in Ontario and the likelihood of getting a bad fill is pretty far down the list too. In 40 year of driving diesel in Canada I've never had the light come on, even draining is bit has been a waste of time.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
This would happen with a fair degree of regularity with the 05 LLY Duramax we had. I replaced the WIF sensor with no effect on the issue. Best I ever came up with is that there is a variance in the density of the fuel. Likely caused by the percentage of Biodiesel blended. I so far have not seem this with the 18 Duramax truck.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You probably have a bad water sensor. You do get the prize for finding that one bad unit statistics predicts is out there, no matter how well designed and built or how thoroughly tested a product is. Oh, your prize? A trip to the truck store for repairs. Should be covered under warranty.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use my diesel farm tractors in the winter, they stay in the unheated barn so condensation in the fuel tanks has always been an issue and the tractors all have a readily visible separator with a float on the side of the engine.

Been using Powerservice in them for at least 10 years and no water in the separators every.

Same regimen with my pickup truck. It gets parked all winter too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You get to do some maintenance. Drain your fuel filter. Get some diesel additive in the white container available at any truck stop.