was this one of you guys??

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
69 REPLIES 69

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Safety chains should be short enough and crossed over to cradle the tongue and prevent it from dragging on the ground.
In the accident shown I don't believe the safety chains were an issue and the tongue dragging the ground didn't happen.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Muddydogs wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
And, no, the safety chains should not break. I think the hitch receiver came off before that happened. Cretin

. I for one don't want to be attached to the trailer after the tongue hits the pavement and starts to turn over. .

Me either.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
And, no, the safety chains should not break. I think the hitch receiver came off before that happened. Cretin

Don't think the hitch or the stinger gave out, if anything the ball broke off and while safety chains shouldn't break they sure do. The chain size isn't enough to keep them from breaking.

I have been involved in 3 trailer loses, 2 similar to this and 1 on icy roads. All 3 came off the ball and broke there safety chains. Others like to spout off about a rogue trailer rolling down the road and how dangerous it is but as soon as the tongue hits the ground the trailer isn't going much further. I for one don't want to be attached to the trailer after the tongue hits the pavement and starts to turn over. In these three trailer losses the hitch checked out fine as well as the stinger and ball. Stinger and ball got replaced never less.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, in the rollover I participated in (passenger), the trailer coupler snapped the ball off the hitch. The video is quite reminiscent of the actions and the result that we had. The trailer swayed violently, the driver couldn't/didn't control the motion,and the trailer rolled on it's side. The initial cause in our situation was ice on the pavement.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
if you look at that bck rack, assume 2 full propane tanks, heavy stuff in that bin and whatever that is on th eleft (generator?) he was probably too lighton the tongue. BTW the trailer is a Nash,looks like it held up well.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
The big truck is definitely above sixty. And notice how the pickup went towards outer lane as he hit the bow wave. As a big truck driver, bow wave alone shouldn't have been enough to set it off. I'd imagine there was a crosswind. Closer observers may disagree, but I wonder if he sped up (not just camera truck slowdown).

FWIW, I wouldn't have stopped either.

As noted elsewhere, he may also have had full waste tanks. And who know how much weight loaded behind trailer axles inside and out. Bet his trailer brakes were great. And let's guess about trailer tire pressure.

And, no, the safety chains should not break. I think the hitch receiver came off before that happened.

With no WD he was over the limit on the hitch receiver.

Cretin
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Well I had something similar happen to me, with a better result. I fell asleep and the rumble strips woke me. As you can see from the video below the truck swayed quite a bit. I did have both Torklift stable loads and a superhitch & supertruss. I figure both probably helped. I did not have time to think about manually applying the trailer brakes as I had only just woken up.

This highway was in Nevada, BTW.

Asleep

Bet you were awake after that. And, needed a change of underwear.

Woke me up as soon as I hit the rumble strips, my wife had here face buried in a book. The whole inside of the rv was littered with dishes & groceries as the doors flew open..

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
The AASHTO (American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials) striping standard for interstates is 10' stripe and 30' gap. However, some toll roads and other agencies use different standards. But I would think what you see in the video is the AASHTO standard.

As I indicated in a previous post I measured the line spacing on I86 here in Idaho.

Here is a link to the standard that Idaho uses which will verify the 50 foot spacing.

Idaho striping

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
The AASHTO (American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials) striping standard for interstates is 10' stripe and 30' gap. However, some toll roads and other agencies use different standards. But I would think what you see in the video is the AASHTO standard.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tequila wrote:
Well I had something similar happen to me, with a better result. I fell asleep and the rumble strips woke me. As you can see from the video below the truck swayed quite a bit. I did have both Torklift stable loads and a superhitch & supertruss. I figure both probably helped. I did not have time to think about manually applying the trailer brakes as I had only just woken up.

This highway was in Nevada, BTW.

Asleep

Bet you were awake after that. And, needed a change of underwear.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
According to the DOT standards, every line is 10 ft long with a 30 ft space......so beginning of one white line to the next is 40 ft.

I counted 20 lines at the semi hood in 9.8 sec.
That is 20x40=800 feet in 9.8 sec.
60 sec / 9.8 = 6.1
6.1 x 800 = 4880 ft per min or almost exactly 55 mph.

I don't even think the F250 was even going 65, maybe 63 mph.

It appears to be a long bed (can't tell) and is shorter than a crew cab (extra cab).
Looks like setup and weight distribution.
Btw my math may not be totally correct....disclaimer before someone rips me a new one for being 2mph off.

I had to go to the Pocatello Airport this evening. I travel on I15 and I86 to get there. I measured the lane markers by counting how many there were between mile markers.

I counted 107 on I15 and I86. Thus the spacing here in Southern Idaho on the Interstates is about 50 feet.

For the Semi I counted 30 markers in 14.63 seconds which gives me a speed of 69.9 mph.

For the truck and trailer I counted 16 marker in 6.94 seconds which gives a speed of about 78 mph.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
chr$ wrote:
They all look at my 25 foot TT and my "little" sport trac and ask "you can tow that with that?"

I really wanted a Sport Trac back in the day, but I already had the Avalanche, so I couldn't justify it...
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
They all look at my 25 foot TT and my "little" sport trac and ask "you can tow that with that?"
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
danimal53 wrote:
Doug33 wrote:
Wow - I've never actually seen this type of incident captured on video before. It's downright scary. I can't remember passing a tractor trailer very often, unless it was on a steep hill with a passing lane. They are usually passing me, because I keep the speed around 62 MPH.

+
i feel like they are always passing me (sometimes with a look of "look at that little SUV with that little trailer hehehe"). i prefer to just get in the right lane, set the cruise control and enjoy some tunes, no need for anything even potentially risky.

Most of the 18-wheelers have a 53' trailer, and then the truck itself is probably about 20' long, for a total of 73'. My TT is almost 32' and my truck is 19' long, for a total length of 51'. And my total rig is about 12,000 pounds loaded. So while the tractor trailers are longer and heavier, I don't exactly feel "little" when driving the highways with them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

was actually being specific to my setup...17' TT and about 15' TV. weight is less than half of yours...like i said, little ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH