cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to upgrade truck tires. Need advice.

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 2016 F150 platinum 3.5 eco, 6.5 ft bet.
It currently has 275/55/20 tires on it. They are Hankook Dynapro ATM tires 113 load rating and T speed rating.
I would like a heavier duty tire for towing. I have seen the Nitto Terra Grappler and it has a 117 load rating which is better and I like the look.
I would like a off road type tire as I do often have to travel off road for work.
Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost
33 REPLIES 33

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper ATP
Towing, aired down beach driving , dirt, have worked well for me
over 30k miles and plenty of tread left
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Crushedstang50 wrote:
librty02 wrote:
I just put a set of the Cooper AT3 XLT's on mine the same size and they are load range E...they were $810 for the set installed and have a $70 rebate but I think that ends very soon...have a 60k warranty, quiet as can be, and have the snowflake symbol on them also, and look pretty dang cool too! Oh and made in the USA

Wow where did you get that price? That's a great price.
How did those affect you mpg? They look like they are about 10 pounds heavier each than my current ones. I really like those but seems like overkill for my little half ton haha. But they may help with the towing feel with my TT connected.

My local pennziol tire and lube..they always have the best price around here I paid 828 installed as I have the receipt right here in front of me as I just uploaded it for the $60 rebate from Cooper
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

blt2ski
cummins2014 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
When buying, cheap may mean an older casing design. Newest versions will get better mpg generally speaking. I gained .5-1 mpg with a Cooper AT3 vs a Discount tire hwy style tread.
Something to think about.
I prefer Cooper or Toyo brand tires.

Marty

I like Toyo , but see nothing special about them for the price you pay for them . Currently running a set on my Ram truck . Might see 40-45 K out of them .

I have not bought them for a couple of years. Might be why Les Schwab is not carrying them any more. They are a bit pricey for what one gets. Altho the M55 on the rear of my dually, and a proxies suv on my wifes ML320, both got 100K miles on them. Thats unheard of in my world. The AT/HT versions I've had, get around 50-60K miles, more normal for my type of driving.
Even Coopers are getting on the pricier side of things. But still reasonably priced for mileage, traction etc one gets from them.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
I put Michelin Defender LTX "E" before a long trip towing the trailer.

The difference to the factory tires was phenomenal. HUGE improvement in towing.

i love my Michelin Defender LTX M/S "D" tires on my F150. just got back from a 3000+ mile towing trip and they are wonderful.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

I've had Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on several of my trucks, including my last F350 used for towing... The G2 is a nice At design with a good ride.

I finally switched to the Dura Grappler on my F350and they were a street tread , I really liked those as well..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put Michelin Defender LTX "E" before a long trip towing the trailer.

The difference to the factory tires was phenomenal. HUGE improvement in towing.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
When buying, cheap may mean an older casing design. Newest versions will get better mpg generally speaking. I gained .5-1 mpg with a Cooper AT3 vs a Discount tire hwy style tread.

Marty

I like Toyo , but see nothing special about them for the price you pay for them . Currently running a set on my Ram truck . Might see 40-45 K out of them .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
you could always go Sailune terramax, they have different versions of it now (MT, AT, and a couple others depending on what type of tread patteren you want) would also save you some money.

Steve

I know of a couple guys that’s run the Terramax , and were very happy with them. The price is certainly good on them .

Yes made in China like a lot of other things we buy made in China , but for some reason doesn’t stop some from getting on their soapbox , while wearing their made in China jeans .

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
Bridgestone Duravis. Last forever.
These are the tires I'm going to look into when my OEM Firestones bite the dust - not long to go with less than 30K. Costco sells them.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

blt2ski

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The "PLY" rating is old school. It's all about the load range as in "E".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
and are 10 ply

surely not for real. :h

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:
I just put a set of the Cooper AT3 XLT's on mine the same size and they are load range E...they were $810 for the set installed and have a $70 rebate but I think that ends very soon...have a 60k warranty, quiet as can be, and have the snowflake symbol on them also, and look pretty dang cool too! Oh and made in the USA

Wow where did you get that price? That's a great price.
How did those affect you mpg? They look like they are about 10 pounds heavier each than my current ones. I really like those but seems like overkill for my little half ton haha. But they may help with the towing feel with my TT connected.
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
you could always go Sailune terramax, they have different versions of it now (MT, AT, and a couple others depending on what type of tread patteren you want) would also save you some money.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100