cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to upgrade truck tires. Need advice.

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 2016 F150 platinum 3.5 eco, 6.5 ft bet.
It currently has 275/55/20 tires on it. They are Hankook Dynapro ATM tires 113 load rating and T speed rating.
I would like a heavier duty tire for towing. I have seen the Nitto Terra Grappler and it has a 117 load rating which is better and I like the look.
I would like a off road type tire as I do often have to travel off road for work.
Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost
33 REPLIES 33

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:
I just put a set of the Cooper AT3 XLT's on mine the same size and they are load range E...they were $810 for the set installed and have a $70 rebate but I think that ends very soon...have a 60k warranty, quiet as can be, and have the snowflake symbol on them also, and look pretty dang cool too! Oh and made in the USA

Same tires on mine...….LT275/65/R20.....not one problem with them at all.
cpaulsen

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
I just put a set of the Cooper AT3 XLT's on mine the same size and they are load range E...they were $810 for the set installed and have a $70 rebate but I think that ends very soon...have a 60k warranty, quiet as can be, and have the snowflake symbol on them also, and look pretty dang cool too! Oh and made in the USA
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of Terra Grappler G2 on a GMC 1500. Been a really good tire, wearing very well at 60K right now. Probably replace before next Winter but cant complain one bit.

That pickup doesnt get off road often so not a lot to say. I think on dry ground it will do well. The tread design tells me that in mud they wont clean out very well. The Wild Peak I hear great things about, the tire shop I use, that serves the Ag community here, says it is their best selling AT tire. I have a set on an S-10 but I dont think that repesents much. The WP will be my next tire on my 3500.

I have the EXO Grappler on my 3500 now. It is an aggressive, heavy duty tire. I have had three sets of these. I have gotten as good as 55K out of them. This current set will be out at 45K. However when I am off road or on snow and ice, it is the tire to have.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why anyone would put 20 inch rims on a truck to tow with, especially 55 series. You may find some off road tires in that size, but probably not very many of them.

Maybe I am completely out of date. I still run 265/75/16 tires on my one ton Ford which is the stock size. Easy to get all kinds of treads and E range capability. Much more rubber to absorb rough roads. Best of luck.

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to you all. I will research into all of these options.
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NITTO Ridge Grapplers in a D or E rating. US Made
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
You don't need a LR E tire for a "15" truck... Especially on a 20" wheel.

I got the "XL" rated tires which are the "117" tires and #2830 per tire and if that's not enough tire for your load, you have the wrong truck anyway...

Heck, even the #2500 tires far exceed the rear axle rating.

Remember this, those E 10 ply tires are going to weigh some #20+ more per tire than the "XL" one..

But, if you just have to have them, ain't gonna hurt anything. I run the "XL" tires with that exact tire size and it's fine. They are just your basic "A/T" tire from Discount Tire.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
The 113 and 117 is the new international load index numbers that corresponds to 2540 lbs (113) and 2830 lbs for a 117 index number.

I get that this allows more fine tuning compared to the old letter grade and that's actually good.

I'm sure there was a reason the new rating system was developed but seems like it would have made more sense to just use the actual rated load as the rating, since that's what people really want to know.

Don't you guys and agelisauce confuse yourselves too much with this concept, even though I'm sure you have a better way of doing things.

D@mn newfangled number index thingy, only been out for about 30 years now....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Delete, double post.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I put a set on my Ram last fall and they're the best tire I've ever owned so far. I say so far because the treadwear hasn't been proven yet, but they are wearing very little and supposedly last a lot of miles. We'll see. They're quiet on the highway and have performed really well offroad and in snow/ice. They have the mountain snowflake rating which is nice for winter travel. They're also a good value.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JIMNLIN wrote:
The 113 and 117 is the new international load index numbers that corresponds to 2540 lbs (113) and 2830 lbs for a 117 index number.

I get that this allows more fine tuning compared to the old letter grade and that's actually good.

I'm sure there was a reason the new rating system was developed but seems like it would have made more sense to just use the actual rated load as the rating, since that's what people really want to know.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Bridgestone Duravis. Last forever.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Terra Grapplers on my Tundra. Great tire. Aggressive look and decent in the snow and off-road but still smooth and quiet on the highway. Minimal mpg difference over the stock street tires. Had over 50k kms on them when I traded the truck and they still looked new.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your problem like any 1/2 ton truck with 20" wheels is finding tires with the tread pattern and load range like you want or need in your size.

That was the reason I demanded 18 inch tires on my F350, plus the fact that the tires you do find will cost a lot more. I also just don't trust that narrow height on 20 inch tires.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Its best to use the load rating stamped on the tires sidewall. Everyone doesn't have a cross over chart for those silly load index numbers..
For a daily driver that sees some dirt/gravel roads I like a AT (all terrain) type tread. I do have a full set of MT (mud terrains) in the garage for winter use when the county can't plow the roads or I need to work in muddy pastures/worksites. The MT with those large lugs and voids simply wear out too fast for every day use for me.

Your problem like any 1/2 ton truck with 20" wheels is finding tires with the tread pattern and load range like you want or need in your size.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides