cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want a new truck?

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped in the local friendly Ford dealer this morning, they had a 22 F 250 loaded up XLT CC, 6 1/2' bed,7.3 gas up on the ramps near the highway. Could of drove it home for $8K over sticker lol. The sales manager told me Ford has stopped building Super Dutys, if you order today the earliest one can expect it is May 2023......maybe, and said expect msrp to go up across the board $4K by then. They had a shiny silver F-150 lightning waiting to be delivered, it went for $25K above sticker. They just furloughed 6 sales people.

People are out of their minds.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.
42 REPLIES 42

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Yes, height of bed rails and height of hood DO count, as they make for a bigger truck, more difficult for some people to maneuver and park, as those measurements affect visibility, especially for a shorter driver. You can't pick & choose which dimensions make a truck bigger and which don't. They ALL come into play. That's like saying the length and width of my house count when calculating the size of it . . . but the height does not. Really? :h

Sit on a pillow and duct tape a block of wood to the bottom of your right foot, maybe practice parking some, problem solved. My 5"-1" wife has no problem driving and parking a GMC CC longbed. I can't find the specs on a 2 story or split entry truck but I'll take your word on it LOL.

I find the interesting, as the rail height between our 2001 Ram and 2016 was about 1โ€.
My daughters 2004 Ram 3500 developed a transmission cooler leak, and she had an equestrian event to tow to. We measured rail height and the were the same her 2004 and our 2016. We bought a Curt ball set and she borrowed our truck to pull her four horse with living quarters gooseneck to the event.

Interesting story. Does it have anything to do with 2022 dimensions, and not specifically to Ram trucks?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
PButler96 wrote:

Yes, height of bed rails and height of hood DO count, as they make for a bigger truck, more difficult for some people to maneuver and park, as those measurements affect visibility, especially for a shorter driver. You can't pick & choose which dimensions make a truck bigger and which don't. They ALL come into play. That's like saying the length and width of my house count when calculating the size of it . . . but the height does not. Really? :h

Sit on a pillow and duct tape a block of wood to the bottom of your right foot, maybe practice parking some, problem solved. My 5"-1" wife has no problem driving and parking a GMC CC longbed. I can't find the specs on a 2 story or split entry truck but I'll take your word on it LOL.

I find the interesting, as the rail height between our 2001 Ram and 2016 was about 1โ€.
My daughters 2004 Ram 3500 developed a transmission cooler leak, and she had an equestrian event to tow to. We measured rail height and the were the same her 2004 and our 2016. We bought a Curt ball set and she borrowed our truck to pull her four horse with living quarters gooseneck to the event.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:

LOL! Funny! Congrats to your wife.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
PButler96 wrote:

No, I can't decide what size truck everyone needs, however, the 'full size' truck of 10-15 years ago wasn't near the behemoth that 'full size' trucks are today.

You're showing your age Rick. Why not look up the dimension specs to say a 2022 F250 and compare that to a 1995 or so F250? Make sure to have the comparable cab and bed length. You'll find the dimensions are only different by a couple of inches. Height of bed rails do not count nor does the height of the hood. Now if your comparing a 2022 to a 1949, then you're spot on.

Idk man, them ole straight axle OBS F350s from the 80s-90s (the F250s always got the saggy butt TTB axles) and original Superdutys sure seem about as tall as current models.
Same with 2nd Gen Rams vs new... One guy on here actually posted his old Ram 2500 2nd Gen next to his new Ram 3500 dually. Bed rails were 'bout the same.
It's ok to admit you're wrong Rick.

I certainly would . . . . if I was . . . . but I'm not. I did my research (yeah, I had a little time to kill early this morning). The half ton models seem to be the biggest 'offenders'. Plus, I was specifically responding to a poster that said those dimensions "didn't count". Got my laugh of the day!

Nah, dude, I literally have owned, been assigned or managed fleets of light duty trucks for the last 25+ years. All 3 US brands. Cab space and leg room have improved across the board from the 70s-80s style trucks which a few carried over into the early 90s. But they didnโ€™t get appreciably โ€œlarger.โ€
Sure there are a few special models of each of the big 3 half tons that are a tad taller. Like my Trailboss or Ram Rebel or Raptors. But those are limited models and not high production. (Well Trailboss are pretty numerous but 2โ€ lift on an already short pavement pounder truck doesnโ€™t really qualify as behemoth, lol).
Really hate to burst your bubble, but one โ€œcanโ€ get bigger trucks like the models above or a Mega Cab Dodge, but in general theyโ€™re no bigger than the last couple/few decades.
If anything, while the popularity of crew cabs over the last 20 years has made cabs longer in general, many of the same trucks are sporting 5โ€™ ish truck beds and very few long bed half tons especially ext cabs (canโ€™t get a cclb half ton) overall not ending up any longer than older models with 8โ€™ beds.

OK, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I guess all those numbers I looked up were wrong. Wonder how that happened?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
PButler96 wrote:

No, I can't decide what size truck everyone needs, however, the 'full size' truck of 10-15 years ago wasn't near the behemoth that 'full size' trucks are today.

You're showing your age Rick. Why not look up the dimension specs to say a 2022 F250 and compare that to a 1995 or so F250? Make sure to have the comparable cab and bed length. You'll find the dimensions are only different by a couple of inches. Height of bed rails do not count nor does the height of the hood. Now if your comparing a 2022 to a 1949, then you're spot on.

Idk man, them ole straight axle OBS F350s from the 80s-90s (the F250s always got the saggy butt TTB axles) and original Superdutys sure seem about as tall as current models.
Same with 2nd Gen Rams vs new... One guy on here actually posted his old Ram 2500 2nd Gen next to his new Ram 3500 dually. Bed rails were 'bout the same.

I certainly would . . . . if I was . . . . but I'm not. I did my research (yeah, I had a little time to kill early this morning). The half ton models seem to be the biggest 'offenders'. Plus, I was specifically responding to a poster that said those dimensions "didn't count". Got my laugh of the day!

Nah, dude, I literally have owned, been assigned or managed fleets of light duty trucks for the last 25+ years. All 3 US brands. Cab space and leg room have improved across the board from the 70s-80s style trucks which a few carried over into the early 90s. But they didnโ€™t get appreciably โ€œlarger.โ€
Sure there are a few special models of each of the big 3 half tons that are a tad taller. Like my Trailboss or Ram Rebel or Raptors. But those are limited models and not high production. (Well Trailboss are pretty numerous but 2โ€ lift on an already short pavement pounder truck doesnโ€™t really qualify as behemoth, lol).
Really hate to burst your bubble, but one โ€œcanโ€ get bigger trucks like the models above or a Mega Cab Dodge, but in general theyโ€™re no bigger than the last couple/few decades.
If anything, while the popularity of crew cabs over the last 20 years has made cabs longer in general, many of the same trucks are sporting 5โ€™ ish truck beds and very few long bed half tons especially ext cabs (canโ€™t get a cclb half ton) overall not ending up any longer than older models with 8โ€™ beds.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
PButler96 wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wowens79 wrote:
Also if they sell for MSRP, there are alot of guys that would buy it for that, and flip it for $10k over MSRP the next day. I'm seeing this all over the Super Duty pages. Guys that ordered multiple trucks, and are selling them as soon as they get them for a profit.

Risky game to play. Great if it works out but if Ford sorts it's issues and starts pumping them out fast while he's waiting on his order, the value of a "Used" 2022 truck could plummet. Suddenly that $70k truck takes a $15-20k hit in sales price because the dealers are offering $10k off the $70k MSRP for new trucks.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion--maybe not yours:
Surprised that no one has said "Are the salesman/manager lips moving..." Absolutely can't believe that Ford has stopped building 22s as stated by the OP's sales manager. Yes, they stop for a week or two when they run out of parts, but they're still building out orders. However, cutting off orders in April and not starting again until October pretty much confirms that they are 6 months behind. Media says Ford F series 2022 Q1 sales were down 31% year to year which says it's getting worse, not better. As for price I've had 3 different dealers say they'll order for MSRP with no premium so I doubt that it would be hard to find such a dealer anywhere.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PButler96 wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
You're either growing or you're dying.

If ya aint first, yer last!

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I feel for the guys that need a truck now as they will have to pay a premium to not wait.

But if you are patient and do research there are dealers that when the order banks were open were willing to make deals. I've got an F350 on order that I'm getting for 2% below invoice, which is about 6k under MSRP. Only catch is it will end up being a 6-7 month wait, and flying to pick it up. No dealers around me would come off of sticker. For me it will be a $250 flight, $500 in gas, and a night in a hotel, but will still save me $5000, and the truck will be broken in, and ready to tow when I get home. I'll have a fun road trip.

Thats exactly the way to do it. I believe Grainger Ford in IA is selling at 2% under invoice. They were doing the same with the new broncos. If you can afford to wait you will do much better on price. You will be just a bit over $60k for a brand new F350 Lariat with the 7.3 engine. The X plan is only going to get you .4% below invoice and then there is the fee on top of that. If you live near IA and are patient, ordering a new truck in October could be the ticket.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
I'll give the dealers some slack on the over MSRP pricing, I don't like it, but I bet their number of cars sold is half what it normally is, so I can see getting what you can for them.

Also if they sell for MSRP, there are alot of guys that would buy it for that, and flip it for $10k over MSRP the next day. I'm seeing this all over the Super Duty pages. Guys that ordered multiple trucks, and are selling them as soon as they get them for a profit.

Bingo. Hit the nail on the head.

A dealer in Florida pulled this on my son ,or they seemed to . He found the truck he wanted there, made the deal over the phone . Sent them a down payment , only for them to call the next day ,and said they had made a mistake ,and someone had already bought that truck. This was early spring of 2021 . Truck was a 2021 , they offered to order a 2022 for him for the same price , which he did, didn't get the truck until last fall .

Either they did make a mistake ,or someone came along ,and offered them more. Either way it worked out for him ,getting a newer truck same price . Just took a bit longer .

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gooma wrote:
Dealers ahve found suckers that are willing to pay over sticker price, soemtimes by a large amount. Why will they lower prices? The days of discounrs of 5K to 10K are gone.

Nope, this will only last as long as the "uneasy truce" between manufacturers holds out.

Eventually someone will blink. They will realize they can grab a huge chunk of market share, if only temporarily, by going back to the way things were.

Since when has any company ever been satisfied with the status quo? You're either growing or you're dying.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.