cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIDEO: Installing new 4400 pound 6+1 rear leaf springs

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't think I ever shared this. Simply the best modification to the truck for the camper I've done. It's a little rough ride empty but with the camper on, it's excellent. I kept the Firestone air bags for a new reason, Instead of running 80 pounds in them to level the truck, now I put 20 pounds in them as a third center of span support for the frame. The shackle points are a few feet apart and the frame over the wheels is unsupported carrying a lot of weight. It occurred to that if I keep using the air bags, they would act to relieve some of that force on the frame. It may or may not help but I thought it a reasonable conclusion. The truck handles the load so much better, drives flatter and not nearly so bouncy. If you have thought to install bigger springs in your truck, this is the video for you.
Installing bigger Springs, 4400# 6+1 on a 2000 F-250
14 REPLIES 14

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
Smart man to install HD new springs. One of the first things I did when I got my 2019 F350 SRW truck. I took mine to a specialty off road shop ( North County Spring ) to have them swapped out. Cost a little under 2k for the install. Loaded up the camper and dropped it off in the morning and picked it up at the end of the day. Progressive 7 leaf pack is what I got. Truck sits level with camper on and I also have airlift bags that I put about 45lbs in when going off road to smooth out the bumps a bit. The airbags don't actually lift anything they just firm it up.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Been planning to do this with either Portland Spring or ordering the ready made 4000lb rated packs from Stengle Brothers for the Dodge to reduce its dependency on the Air bags for load leveling.

It already drives and rides like there's no springs at all in the rear, so, bigger stiffer packs isn't going to make it any worse than it already is :p.

You did a dually conversion right Matt? I decided to leave the air bags in as a center of span support for the frame. We drive a lot of rough mountain roads and I consider it to be cheap insurance for the frame.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:
Im wondering why you decided to keep the air bags? nice video but I found it very hard to watch with two soundtracks. some times it better to get rid of the original sound if your going to do an after the fact nararation.

Steve

I kept the air bags as a center span support for the frame. The air bags over the axle make a very solid extra support with the shackle mounts being a couple feet ahead or behind the axle which is close to the center of gravity of a 3000 pound TC plus all our stuff. Cheap insurance especially since we go on a lot of rough riding mountain forest roads.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
mountainkowboy wrote:
While looking for replacement springs for Red, I found that the "factory" springs were the lightest available, being 4+1's. I was going to do the 5+1's since the originals handled the 4,500lb S&S with just upper stableloads. If we were keeping the TC this year I was going to "upgrade" to new stouter springs. Still may keep Red, but unsure.

I went with the 4400 pound 6+1 because I wanted to keep it simple. Just the main springs and nothing else needed though I did leave my Firestone air bags in place as a center span load support. I use my truck for work too and there's a good ton of excavation dirt in the bed waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. You'll get a softer ride going your way. I presume RED is holding up well after the extensive rebuild... I will need to rebuild my right rear corner due to wet decay. Take care...

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
While looking for replacement springs for Red, I found that the "factory" springs were the lightest available, being 4+1's. I was going to do the 5+1's since the originals handled the 4,500lb S&S with just upper stableloads. If we were keeping the TC this year I was going to "upgrade" to new stouter springs. Still may keep Red, but unsure.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Im wondering why you decided to keep the air bags? nice video but I found it very hard to watch with two soundtracks. some times it better to get rid of the original sound if your going to do an after the fact nararation.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been planning to do this with either Portland Spring or ordering the ready made 4000lb rated packs from Stengle Brothers for the Dodge to reduce its dependency on the Air bags for load leveling.

It already drives and rides like there's no springs at all in the rear, so, bigger stiffer packs isn't going to make it any worse than it already is :p.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
sweeperman210 wrote:
I love my timbrens on my 2021 F350 dually with a AF 990

My guess then is that this video might not be geared for you 🙂

3 tons (no longer overloaded - lol)

sweeperman210
Explorer
Explorer
I love my timbrens on my 2021 F350 dually with a AF 990

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Obviously if the existing springs had been overloaded and were damaged and sagging, then a new spring pack would have been the only solution.

When starting with springs in new or decent condition, I recommend adding SuperSprings. The installation is really simple and the wheels do not even need to be removed. In addition the preload can be adjusted so the truck rides well unloaded. I would also get rid of the airbags. Mine rotted within a few years but they also added a lot of sway even at fairly low pressure. If something more than SuperSprings is needed, I would replace the airbags with Timbrens. They are maintenance free, last the life of the truck and the unloaded ride is unchanged.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oregun wrote:
How heavy does your truck/camper weigh on rear axle on the scales.
Video looks familiar, maybe you posted it a couple years ago?

My camper tag says 2950 wet. It's had a few things added to it. 200#. Then when loaded with all our stuff, cameras and electronics, clothes, all the canned and other food, My guess is we hit 4000 pounds or there about. most of my camping is down a gravel road but we do hit developed camping. My load rating is 2800, less the tailgate will bring us closer to 3000. My tires are rated 3400# each. Like most, our truck is over loaded by a few hundred pounds. The brakes are inspected and replaced regularly.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
How heavy does your truck/camper weigh on rear axle on the scales.
Video looks familiar, maybe you posted it a couple years ago?

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Supercharged111 wrote:
Why not just add the F350 upper overload? I'll admit I didn't watch the video.

The video is there for people who are interested and thinking about doing some suspension modification to better handle their load.
The old springs were sagging or flattened and the left side was 1-1/2 inches lower than the right side unloaded. This solved that problem. Since I was going to replace the springs, I might as well get springs that can handle the load, especially since I regularly haul heavy construction materials and the camper is on the truck for months at a time. It was a winner for me. I plan to install front 3 leaf springs soon. My front left spring is sagging too so that will fix that problem. With the upper F-350 overload spring, the truck still has to drop a bit to engage it. More than what I do with my bigger springs. For me. the bigger spring is the better choice, much cheaper than upgrading to a larger truck.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just add the F350 upper overload? I'll admit I didn't watch the video.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually